Bunion Surgery? Is it worth it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have an appointment coming up to make a decision on bunion surgery, my consultant has pretty much left the ball in my court to decide. What is making this so difficult for me is that I am currently not in pain. I have been, that is how I ended up at the doctors in the first place but the pain has since calmed down, probably because I gave up trying to wear nice shoes and stick to my sketchers on DrMartens almost all of the time! I get a niggle here and there but I sit in an office all day it would probably be different if I was on my feet.

My concern is I am only 27, they run in the family, my mums are quite severe and was offered surgery herself but basically she is scared of it. She wants me to have it done, said if she was me and had them at 27 she would get them done and they won't go away only get worse with age. Hers were almost nonexistent at my age! Doctor considered mine mild-moderate. I have my x-ray if I can see where to add pictures.

Do I wait till I am in pain? Do I risk inflicting pain which wasn't there before? Or get it over and done with before they get worse and require more work to fix, while i don't have children and work a job that would allow me the recovery without financial loss. Would my surgeon do both so I don't have to go through it twice?

If someone was to tell me the recovery is not that bad and they have been pain free and the bunion has not come back, I don't think i would hesitate. But reading other blogs and forums people say recovery is excruciating!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Another of my fears...where the scar will be? I have both my feet tattooed and dread to think they will cut through them. I had the tattoos done to distract away from my ugly feet 😂

I am keen to have both done together so I only have 1 recovery period. I don't want to be off work twice, that's my choice not an issue with my employer. Also although I don't have the responsibility of children, I would have to pay someone to look after my horse. If I am off my feet for 6 weeks I'm looking at £600 for someone to care for him and I can barely afford to pay that in the first place let alone twice! Also mean he'll be out of work too.

• Posted

Hi, depends wat surgery u have u know there's different types of foot surgery and different names for them.So like me he cut me between my big toe and middle toe and shaved off part of my bunion and put screws and pins in  to align my toes this surgey is called A Hallux  Valgus surgery same as a bunion rrmoval which will be on the side of the big toe every surgery it not the same and plus the scars with eventually heal  and u want be able to tell it.IBefore having it  done I would get an second opinion I have it done because I needed it not how ugly my feet were something to think sbout.Good luck!!!

• Posted

You would be very unlucky to have any scars at all the way they do the stitches now. 
  • Posted

Hi,

its a little over 2 months, with me Iam just now not having pain.  I just went Dec 21 to PT, was told leave the left foot alone if there is no pain.Good luck, but they say no pain don't fix it.  There are excercises that can be done and soft sleeves to use at night. 

• Posted

Hi Jinky

I am a Personal Trainer age 56 and very fit and active....My mother also had bunions done at around 50.

I was in a lot of pain under the ball of my big toe and it did not help moving 2 houses....it then got better once I started seeing the surgeons...always the way.....had 3 opinions...however my big toe was starting to turn and go slightly across the next toe...I could only wear wide rinners. ..No flashy shoes.

Like u I could not make up my mind...but only being able to walk 5 km + the above problems so I decided to go ahead....it's Day 6. ...first few days were very painful a 10 out of 10..but I had held back on my pain medication as I hate taking it. ..I then got it under control ....day 3 it was about a 6 out of 10....day 6 i am not taking to many drugs and pain about a 4 out of 10.

The worst thing for me is the boredom...as I am not used to sitting around...but I have my eyes on the bigger picture. You need to ask yourself is it stopping you leading the life u want ? How bad is the pain ? Does the surgeon think it needs doing ? Are u prepared at this stage of your life to take the time out to heal ? for me even with all the horrible stuff...it had to happen. 

Good luck...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.