Bunion surgery - much more painful than I ever imagined

Posted , 157 users are following.

Had Scarf osteotomy to remove bunion on right foot on Friday 2 March. Foot numb for almost 24 hours so not much pain until Saturday morning - then sheer agony! Ibuprofen & codeine alternated with paracetamol & codeine the most effective painkillers but you can only take so many in a day. Have stayed in bed as walking (on heel) has been almost impossible and stairs too terrifying; bathroom visits have been a source of dread as when I stand there is a surge of blood to the foot and it feels as though it might explode. Then for the next 10 minutes or so after returning to bed the pain and throbbing are intense. However, this is now easing a bit so hoping to be gradually more mobile. Any advice anybody?

2 likes, 580 replies

580 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

It's now day 8; dressing changed yesterday during which the consultant tugged a bit too hard and pulled away one of my stitches, resulting in bleeding. Today I have had horrendous burning and stabbing pains in the area of the stitches so still popping the pills every 4 hours. Seem to have taken a step back (forgive the pun). No swelling though, so it's not all bad!

• Posted

My doctor's office said to keep the foot elevated above my heart. It definitely hurts less doing this. Also was told to ice the back of my knee 20 minutes on and then 20 minutes off.

• Posted

Yeah I had a bit of scar burn around then but nothing too serious. My big toe hardly moves and I can't lift it so I'm more focused on that!

The day I get to ditch the giant surgical shoe will be the best day of my life! I hate it. Good about the swelling - I'm the same and maybe it means we'll be able to get back into more normal shoes quicker...

• Posted

Hi

My consultant told me yesterday to keep wiggling the big toe every hour to stop it going to sleep! Very difficult I know when it just doesn't want to move but don't give up!

• Posted

My doctor said I shouldn't bend it up or down for the first few weeks as we wait for the tendon to heal. They had to cut my big toe tendon and stitch it back up tighter. So I've only just started doing mild exercises. Hopefully I will work up to getting more movement in it. Even though they told me it would happen it's still weird trying to move it only twitching a little!

Do you have the other foot to do or just the one?

• Posted

I've been looking g everywhere for what you just said about wiggling the toes! Thank you!!

when I left the hospital the nurse said to Wiggle toes but the doctor never did. I wondered if I should or not because of the tendons he had to cut and re-attach.

• Posted

Each case is, of course, different. No,happily I only have the one problem foot, thank goodness, because I could not do this again! How about you?
  • Posted

Day 9 after buinion surgery and my biggest problem now is cramp and stabbing pains - very difficult to sleep, sit or walk. Anybody else have this problem?
    • Posted

HELLO EVERYONE,

I JUST JOINED THIS FORUM N IM GOING TO HAVE A BUNION SURGERY IN LIKE 2WEEKS,AND IM GETTING SCARED JUST BY ALL IM READING!!

IS IT REALLY THAT PAINFULL?

IM GOING IN ON JAN.19,2017

FOR THE BLOOD DRAW AND ETC,,THEN ILL GET A SURGERY DATE,I WANTED TO KNOW IF I GET THE SURGERY DONE BEFORE THE 24th, WHICH IS THE DATE MY DAUGHTER IS GETTING MAJOR SURGERY,AND I PLAN ON BEING THERE NO MATTER WHAT, DO YOU BELIEVE I WILL BE ABLE TO BE THERE IN THE WAITING RM.?? WILL I HAVE A CAST? WHAT AM I TO EXPECT ON MY FOOT? BRACE, Cast, CRUTCHES?

ANY ANSWERS PLZ, WILL RELIEVE MY ANXIETY. THANK YOU!!

• Posted

HELLO EVERYONE,

I JUST JOINED THIS FORUM N IM GOING TO HAVE A BUNION SURGERY IN LIKE 2WEEKS,AND IM GETTING SCARED JUST BY ALL IM READING!!

IS IT REALLY THAT PAINFULL?

IM GOING IN ON JAN.19,2017

FOR THE BLOOD DRAW AND ETC,,THEN ILL GET A SURGERY DATE,I WANTED TO KNOW IF I GET THE SURGERY DONE BEFORE THE 24th, WHICH IS THE DATE MY DAUGHTER IS GETTING MAJOR SURGERY,AND I PLAN ON BEING THERE NO MATTER WHAT, DO YOU BELIEVE I WILL BE ABLE TO BE THERE IN THE WAITING RM.?? WILL I HAVE A CAST? WHAT AM I TO EXPECT ON MY FOOT? BRACE, Cast, CRUTCHES?

ANY ANSWERS PLZ, WILL RELIEVE MY ANXIETY. THANK YOU!!

• Posted

Hi - wanted to reach out to you to answer your question. I am on week two of bunion surgery on both feet. If your surgery is on the 19 , barring no complications I would think you would be ok being with your daughter you would just need to be able to sit with your foot elevated. I have had virtually no pain besides periodic little twinges here and there since day 3. I am in boots with my feet wrapped. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with. 
    • Posted

I had bunion surgery and hammer toe both done on the right foot on wed Jan 11. I had no idea of the pain. I don't consider myself to have low tolerance, as I had 3 babies without meds but this has knocked me for a loop. Today, Friday, I just had a bath and washed my hair and I feel very accomplished. Now my foot is up and throbbing. My dr included an ice bladder in my wrappings which has made my boot etc more cumbersome but so much easier to ice. I planned on returning to work Monday (I have a sedentary job) but I am rethinking. My daughter loaned me her crutches or I wouldn't be able to get around! I think if I had anticipated this I wouldn't be so discouraged by it. I had bunion surgery when I was in my 20's and had a speedy recovery and in normal shoes(sandals) almost immediately. Follow dr orders RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)

Best wishes

• Posted

I had my surgery December 23, 2016 and it was my husbands Birthday and yes I had planned a dinner party and was determined to go. It wasn't bad at all cuz my nerves were still numb and I took my pain meds just in case. I was determined not to put a damper on his birthday because of my surgery. How did ur first day go.

• Posted

I had bunoinette surgeryom my little toe on Dec 30th. I am in my 7 1/2 week. The doctor stripped my plantar fascia tendon also and cleaned it up. Put about 20 puncture holes in my heel he said I should be able to feel relief from it right away but never did still having a hard time walking on my hill. I am experiencing a lot of nerve pain when you touch the side of my leg under my knee it shoots severe pains down to the nerves in the top of my foot where my scar is. Are you feeling any nerve pain at all from your surgery?
    • Posted

Hi Big Lulu

How are you doing? I had surdery on my left foot Feb 17 and have gone through somethings. I am wondering if after 2 months has all of your smelling gone away? I had a big bandage after the surgery for 4 days then a cased for another 5 weeks. Now  I am with the walking booth but the Dr. wants me to use the crutches also. Well I am off to the Dr. again tomorrow. Whis me luck

• Posted

Hi Angie, I have been reading some horror stories on here about bunion surgery abd Im thinking about cancelling my surgery for May 11, 2018..I dont like narcotics and they give them to you after surgery..I have a mild to moderate bunion on my left foot and its painful at times..I can barely deal with that..Cant imagine the after surgery pain..I have severe anxiety and depression and Im driving myself NUTS!!! HELP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.