Bunion surgery - much more painful than I ever imagined

Posted , 157 users are following.

Had Scarf osteotomy to remove bunion on right foot on Friday 2 March. Foot numb for almost 24 hours so not much pain until Saturday morning - then sheer agony! Ibuprofen & codeine alternated with paracetamol & codeine the most effective painkillers but you can only take so many in a day. Have stayed in bed as walking (on heel) has been almost impossible and stairs too terrifying; bathroom visits have been a source of dread as when I stand there is a surge of blood to the foot and it feels as though it might explode. Then for the next 10 minutes or so after returning to bed the pain and throbbing are intense. However, this is now easing a bit so hoping to be gradually more mobile. Any advice anybody?

2 likes, 580 replies

580 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I had scarf osteotomy 6 day ago nd have been laying down since with awful pain. It is worse if i try to stand up in fact i cant stand up for more than 2 mins. It throbs. How ar you know,any easier and what progress are you making.

• Posted

I had a scarf + Akin osteotomy on thursday morning   i was in a bit of pain on friday, saturday was a bit more painfull , my ankle went blue and swelled up.  i havent had a bad nights sleep as iv kept it elevated on two pillows. it does start to throb when i stand but when i start walking it soon eases, the rest of the time i lay on sofa with it elevated at about the same level as my nose and it really helps, i have only taken two of the dihydrocodamol tablets they gave me,  today (day 3) it is less swolen and less painfull    it can only get better or thats what i tell myself
    • Posted

Sounds like you are doing well. One foot or two? I just had my left foot done and it is now 3 months post surgery. It starts off being all your life....but a great lesson in patience. Your name makes me thing you think you are older ...I am 58 and although my foot is still swollen.....it is totally worth it.....be positive and be patient...
    • Posted

Just my right foot. Im 54    its nowhere near as bad as i thought it was going to be. I have a high pain threshold and i dont take pain killers unless its really painful. The tablets they gave me just knock me out but dont take the pain away.   Im positive about my recovery  and keep telling myself it can only get better.   Iv just been baking incase i get more visitors, i dont want to let my hospitality slip  haha 
    • Posted

I forgot to say everyones pain threshold is different  .i am being very positive   and yes your right it is a lesson in patience.  I find it hard having to rely on other people and having to ask for help with household tasks  but it isnt forever. I cant wait to see the end result   i hope it will be worth it 
    • Posted

I was wondering how your foot is now that it has been over 10 months.  I am a little older than you and have been having throbbing bunion for years.  I am totally fed up with the constant pain and am hoping to see a Dr. soon for a consultation.  Did you have to have an MRI or just X-rays prior to your surgery? I have always been a walker mostly on gravel roads in the past and now I have pain all the time from this bunion so I am mostly biking for exercise.  Are you able to walk long distances on all kinds of terrain now or do you feel your walking has been compromised? 
  • Posted

Hi there

I am now 3 weeks and 2 days down the line and I can confirm that things do get much, much better as time goes on. I went back to work after 2 weeks off (self-employed so no sick-pay) - took a stool to rest foot on. Hard to find a shoe to fit but found a 7EEE mule online which feels ok. Foots swells quite a bit but I elevate and ice whenever possible - icing is the best treatment of all. Hardly any pain at all now, just the odd twang. Starting physio next week to get the big toe working. Stay positive and do what the doctor says and you will be fine!

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for that. I seem to be in the same pain now 10 days post op as the second day. It is okay when i am laying down but throbs when i walk to the kitchen on my crutches. Whn you have the stiches out do they put a new cast on, Any advice is appreciated.

Did you get the bandage wet when you put ice on.?

I feel like i am nagging now""""

Regards Paulette

• Posted

I had dissolving stitches and no cast - just a huge bandage for the first week then a smaller one for the second week; after that just a sterile dressing like a big plaster. Put ice pack in a polythene bag to keep bandage dry. Didn't have crutches either, just heel walking for first couple of weeks. You do seem to have an unusual amount of pain - are you taking anti-inflammatories? Wonder if your bandage is too tight? I'd speak to the doctor if I were you. Never feel you're nagging - post-bunion surgery is a lonely place to be and you need all the support you can get!
  • Posted

I'm out of the shoe now and walking and gymming (but not running or jumping) around. It does seem that the amount of pain you're in still is unusual. Have you been back to your doctor yet?

The first few weeks are boring and a bit depressing and then you start to feel better as you get more mobile and now I'm positively walking on sunshine every day when I'm able to do a spin class or go for a walk!

My only problem now is that I can't lift my big toe. The end doesn't seem to connect. I can move the joint up but the end doesn't lift. It's annoying and I think my Doc wants me to do some electro physiotherapy to try and wake it up... Hopefully we get some movement after that...

• Posted

I was wondering what happened with not being able to lift your big toe. I am having the same problem now. I am 6 weeks post surgery and i can bend my toe down but not upward. It just lays there while my other toes bend up. I also have numbness just below the nail bed it feels like i heard someone else describe as like when you get novacain (sp?) At the dentist. I can feel it on top of my skin but not below. I still have swelling daily but i am on my feet a lot. Did you go for physical therapy?
    • Posted

Just wondered how long it was before you regained normal feeling in your big toe? I'm 7 weeks post op and my big guy feels like it has forgotten it's alive. If I concentrate really hard, I can move it but barely. Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi! Im 17 and just had bunion surgery yesterday, and am in a lot of pain obviously haha! Today is January 31st, and I was wondering what everyones opinion was on this: Im supposed to be going with my Spanish class on a trip to Spain and we leave March 29th. I think that gives me around 8 weeks. Do you guys think ill be able to go or is that too soon to be walking around? I just started feeling pain today so I have no idea what to expect in regards to if it will be all good in 8 weeks or not haha. Thanks, let me know
    • Posted

I had bunion and hammer toe done on Jan 11 and was feeling dismal in my first 72 hours! I believe you will be fine! you may struggle with some swelling so wear the ugly compression socks when flying and allow time to put your feet up.  
    • Posted

I had my surgery Dec 30. I'm hitting 8 weeks soon and have been able to walk a little better. I have Vionic insoles in my shoes that help. I think you will be able to go on your trip. Make sure you ice your foot often.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.