Bunion surgery - much more painful than I ever imagined

Posted , 157 users are following.

Had Scarf osteotomy to remove bunion on right foot on Friday 2 March. Foot numb for almost 24 hours so not much pain until Saturday morning - then sheer agony! Ibuprofen & codeine alternated with paracetamol & codeine the most effective painkillers but you can only take so many in a day. Have stayed in bed as walking (on heel) has been almost impossible and stairs too terrifying; bathroom visits have been a source of dread as when I stand there is a surge of blood to the foot and it feels as though it might explode. Then for the next 10 minutes or so after returning to bed the pain and throbbing are intense. However, this is now easing a bit so hoping to be gradually more mobile. Any advice anybody?

2 likes, 580 replies

580 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had 2 bunions and 2 hammertoe surgery 8 weeks ago. I have been in a non-weight bearing cast for the

entire time, cannot even use my foot for balance. I am waiting for the bone to fuse then I can go into a boot.

My foot swells the minute I stop elevating it. Will my foot continue to swell after I'm in the walking boot?

• Posted

Did you have all that done at the same time? Both bunion surgeries done at the same time?

I had my right foor (bunion) done last Tuesday, October 15th. So it's been a week today. Pain has practically gone, but that area of my foot feels extremely weird. And I just re bandaged my foot as I could feel tugging on my stitches and was loosening as the swelling has gone down a bit. My foot looks demented. And l too can't feel or move my big toe sad it's very frustrating. But after reading to above comments I guess I shouldn't worry too much if it's only been a week!!

• Posted

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm going to have bunion surgery on my right foot in early December. I would be grateful to know from people who have had it done if it is worth the pain etc that I have just read about from you folks. Also does anyone have any good ideas for preparations that it would be a good idea to make in the next few weeks before I have it done? I would be very grateful for any thoughts!
    • Posted

Hi I had  bunion surgery a week ago 9/12 the first week want to bad but more I am feeling thobbing pain just took my first painkiller today just have been on ibuprofen 800mg till now my advice is keep a light diet ..I had alot of stomach pain and heartburn with the  antibiotics and ibuprofen and it sucks cuz u can move around with crutches but you can take your drink or anything with u to where your sitting...my husband had to put a handrail in the restroom by the toilet to give me more security..And u will need a shower chair I didn't buy mine till after ..dumb idea..And my daughter got me a cover at a pharmacy to cover my boot when I showered it help allot I didn't have to worry if ib was getting it wet
  • Posted

Hi there! I had bunion surgery on my right foot 3 weeks ago! Honestly I heard that some people had said its so, so painful. But personally I didn't think it was that bad! like okay it's wasn't painless or a picnic but! it's more the boredom afterwards that got to me! and that I can't walk for very long with my foot hurting and swelling up around my support band rolleyes. But the pain is definitely bearable I think, are you having it done by key-hole?
  • Posted

That's good to know. I'm not having keyhole, and will have 2 metal screws put in, which sounds weird! I wish you a speedy recovery, Charlotte.. 🌞
  • Posted

Thank you! I had two screws put in too, so now I have 4 in my foot! Honestly as it's not been that long after surgery, I don't know if the pain and inflammation has gone from before, but my foot is now straight!! Ha!

Good luck with yours, I hope it goes well!!

• Posted

My best advise for anyone having bunion surgery came from my doctor. He put 4 screws in my foot and several bone fusions. He told me to stay on my back for one solid week (except for bathroom duties) with my foot elevated even with the top of my head and ice for 20 min. each hour. He told me if I did that I would have very little pain after.

I was 8 weeks no weight bearing at all, waiting for the bones to fuse. Now I'm 4 sessions into therapy and feel great.

• Posted

There are several different procedures out there to take care of bunions. Your recovery time and instructions from your doctor will depend on the severity of your bunions and what procedures the doctors have to perform. I had surgery on Oct 4th, about 5 weeks ago, on my right foot. I had an opening and closing wedge osteotomy and they had to of course saw off the bunion.

For the first week it hurt to do anything. I had crutches, but was very slow moving with them. My foot had to be elevated or else it was excruciating. When I went to the bathroom I would prop it up on the tub or my base leg. I would was non-weight bearing for the first four weeks, then was allowed to put some weight on my heel. I have been trying, but it's slow.

I would suggest getting a shower seat so that you can sit in the shower. Also, I was given a nice shower guard/wrap from the hospital so that the foot doesn't get wet. One other thing: crutches are exauhsting and tough to use. So, I would highly recommend a walking scooter. It allows you to rest your injured leg and get around much quicker than on crutches. It also provides a place to prop up your foot wherever you are. When I went out to dinner for the first time I had the scooter to fold down and put under the table to prop up my foot. I also bought a basket and attached it to the scooter. This mean that I could move things from one place to another. You can't do that with crutches.

On that note, I would suggest setting up shop by your bed or couch, wherever you will be recovering the first week. I would stash water bottles, snacks like applesauce and crackers, medicine, etc. This way you don't have to get up to get anything.

Good luck!

• Posted

thanks for all your hints Carly...I am going for surgery on 14 August. I have 3 weeks off from my "real" job....hope that in enough. I am having key-hole and screws. and have to have 2 nights in hospital. reading all the above blogs the pain and throbbing sounds like no fun.As I work 3 days a week and have 3 kids (well 4 counting hubby)...my youngest are 14 year old twin girls .....I guess I am thinking it will be a great learning curve for them all.....they will learn how to use the washing machine etc.  I was wondering if , when I have a "boot" on my left foot I can wear track pants or how  big is the boot?  I am feling a bit nervous about it all but already my foot is in a bad way so the end result has to be better.......
    • Posted

Hi Fran, i had my bunion removed on Monday, and 3 pins inserted. The surgery itself was fine, sedation with ankle block. However, a word of caution. Bearing in mind I had not eaten all day, i was really sick on the meds co-dydramol and tramadol. 2 days post op it is very painful and i am only getting up to go to the bathroom. I agree with other posters here that you feel as though your foot will explode ! The boot only goes on when i have to get up, its cumbersome and so is the crutch. Hope your surgery goes well
    • Posted

i had my bunion removed and three toes shortened on monday (3 days ago). The pain has not been too bad until i get up and my foot is hanging downwards. I have on a shoe which i have to wear 24 hours a day for 6 weeks and a huge dressing around my foot. My foot feels swollen inside the dressing but they told me it was a compression bandage so that must be ok. It feels like my foot is going to burst this evening. I have been told i can heel weightbear and had been doing it a bit but tonight it is way too sore. How are you doing as you seem to be a week ahead of me with your surgery?
    • Posted

Inreally struggled the first week, and when i went to have my dressing changed 3 days post op, the nurse was really cross with me as i was hopping and not walking on it ! She reassured me my foot would not explode! And she made me weight bear with the aid of the crutch. This was the worst experience, but it really has got better, i am no longer taking pain killers. I also have to say that when my dressing was changed and i could see the wound, it certainly looked a lot better than it felt, so that gave me confidence. Be reassured that the first 10 days are the worst. I was told that i didnt have to wear the boot all the time, only when i had to go to the bathroom. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he told me i should still be resting a lot, only allowed to make a drink and bathroom visits. I also bought online (limbo) a waterproof sleeve to wear in the shower. Its great. Good luck !
    • Posted

Have got some more pain killers today from the doctors and they seem to be helping. I dont go back for redress and stitches out until 2 weeks post op. looking forward to seeing my new foot! I have ordered a limbo for the shower. My surgeon said only trips to the bathroom were allowed so have to have all my kids and husband running after me. 

Feeling beter knowing that 10 days will hopefully be the turning point. 

• Posted

Hi, I had left on 10/ 04/14 and right on 10/03/14!  Left much better right. Do you have good ideas to keep swelling down?  What is the best way to leave the ice bag on foot to get the most out of the ice?  

Help!

• Posted

Mackie, I'm surprised you got them done so close together, they usually want you to wait at least 3 months. I just noticed this so I'm sure its too late to tell  you how to keep the swelling down. Most people make a big mistake (first of all) is not finding a good doctor with lots of good references, even then they make mistakes. I had mine done three months apart, then they put the screws in my big toe/Falangia Metatarsal (Reversal) when they remove them so I 3 operations. The big toe won't be stiff if the doctor would have you go to physical therapy right away, even mine didn't set it up - I went on my own for that. They said it would take a year to be able to feel normal or stand on your tipty toes - it took 3 years.  To keep the swelling down and not have so much pain, you really need to decide to stay in bed with your feet elevated for a few weeks and place ice or frozen peas on your instep/ankle several times a day. I even put a pillow under my knees. I never really had a lot of pain, if doctors orders aren't followed you will have problems.

• Posted

Exactly what I've been doing and I'm one week post op tomorrow. If your foot is throbbing you need to move it into a comfortable position and it'll eventually go away. If you just keep it there it's going to throb more and more. I've been doing great. I think the first 3 days were the worst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.