Bunion surgery - much more painful than I ever imagined

Posted , 157 users are following.

Had Scarf osteotomy to remove bunion on right foot on Friday 2 March. Foot numb for almost 24 hours so not much pain until Saturday morning - then sheer agony! Ibuprofen & codeine alternated with paracetamol & codeine the most effective painkillers but you can only take so many in a day. Have stayed in bed as walking (on heel) has been almost impossible and stairs too terrifying; bathroom visits have been a source of dread as when I stand there is a surge of blood to the foot and it feels as though it might explode. Then for the next 10 minutes or so after returning to bed the pain and throbbing are intense. However, this is now easing a bit so hoping to be gradually more mobile. Any advice anybody?

2 likes, 580 replies

580 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'll be 4 weeks post op on Tuesday, and literally just in the last couple of days, all I'm feeling is pain where the bunion was and where the crews were placed - I think I feel the screws every time I step and it's painful and just in this day the pain is spreading up my foot to my my ankles and the start of the leg! My foot also keeps swelling badly and quickly and I'm not sure if this is normal or not?

I'll go for a walk to do a quick bit of shopping or grab some electric and by the time I get home no more then 20 minutes later my foot (and not often either) is throbbing in paid (where the screws are) and swelling fast over my support band...

Can anyone tell me if this is normal as my next appointment isn't until the 28th of this month so I don't know whether I should contact my doctor before hand just to make sure if it's okay or not rolleyes

Thanks!

• Posted

I would phone the ward where you had it done and talk to somebody, you need some reassurance at least, and if it is not normal I'm sure they would rather know about it so that they can treat it quickly.

Best wishes, hope it all subsides soon.

• Posted

Hello all, I just had a double osteotomy November 5th and I've been limping around in my boot/shoe with the aid of a cane since day one. The Doctor said bed rest for three days but my Father is staying with me during recovery and he doesn't know how to cook. The pain has been tolerable and when it started to throb, the PA told me to loosen the wrap a little to relieve the pressure. Today is the first day I actually feel the cooling from the ice.

I purchased a product that delivers iced water to a foot wrap and every 30 seconds it provides air for compression and then releases. It's called Aircast IC. It similar to a small cooler which has a tube sticking out that leads to a foot wrap which fills with the iced water. It's a tad pricey but renting one would have cost the same amount as the purchase. Besides, I can always use it again for elbows, shoulders, knees, etc. I highly recommend it if you can find it. Just make sure you buy the one which plugs in and do not buy the older model which has a small motor attached to the outside. The newer model houses the motor in the unit cap/cover, so you do not see it. The wraps for the foot, knee, elbow, etc. are sold separately.

So, you fill it with water and ice where specified by the lines inside. Plug it in and attach the wrap to your foot. It will slowly fill with the chilled water. This will last you for 6-8 hours and then you begin again emptying and refilling the cooler with ice and water.

My osteotomy procedure is also new. My Doctor devised and patented a titanium bracket to use in lieu of screws or pins. It adheres the bones for quicker fusing and quicker recovery.

Today is day 4 and the only time I feel slight soreness is when I lower my foot to place in the shoe. The boot he designed forces one to walk on the heel so the foot bed never feels pressure.

My post-op is Nov 11th and I will be fitted with a driving boot so I can return to work, that is, provided the foot is healing normally.

Sorry to read the comments that some patients are having so much pain and taking so long to heal. It maybe the doctor used the traditional procedure which my sister in-law had and she took nearly 8 weeks to recover.

• Posted

Forgot to add an important note from my Doctor. He said take the pain meds even if you do not feel pain. The meds made me loopy and gave me weird dreams while I slept but minimized the discomfort overall. Follow regular hygiene even if you don't feel well; sponge baths until you are well enough for a bath/shower. Pamper yourself...prepare meals in advance to pop in to the microwave oven and have the TV remote and a couple of good books at your disposal. Stock up on your favorite desserts/sweets and do not worry about the small stuff. Concentrate on recovery.
  • Posted

I had bunion surgery and straightened middle toe 1 week 1 day ago. My foot is still very swollen the pain is getting better. I am spacing my pain meds out further. My doctor said to stay totally off of it for 2 weeks to allow bone to fuse with metal have a few middle screws. He said to pick my foot hip level. I have had 1 almost fell & 1 minor fall. I am hoping it did not damage my foot. I have been keeping my foot with ice packs all the way around it to keep swelling and pain down. I will be totally off of it for 6 weeks. I purchased a I walk free & had crutches already & I am renting a scooter with basket. I feel the safest on the scooter. I use my crutches in the bathroom & help get on & off my scooter. I prepared my downstairs bedroom before surgery and my family has been wonderful to help. I put clothes I was going to wear comfortable ones in closet & drawers. Towels in drawer, toiletries in basket in downstairs bathroom. A night stand full of reading, CDs, iPad, meds, vitamins, etc. a small mirror, etc. I bought a wedge pillow from Walmart Dr said not to raise my foot however great behind my back for when I want to sit up. Eating yogurt before taking pills really helps. I would start staking a probiotic, calcium & vita C will help you heal faster. Grapefruit with cause a lot of meds to be ineffective so I would not eat it. Listen to Dr. Ask family & friends to help you. I am taking this time to pray & learn scripture.
  • Posted

I had a reaction to pain meds, so I requested a lower dose. I am now taking hydro codon-acetaminophen 7.5-650. I take about 3 a day. Drinking a lot of water try to limit my bathroom trips. Do not eat salt it could cause more swelling. Dr said too much water could too. Dr also said if I did not stay off & allow to heal properly I could be in worse pain the rest of my life.
  • Posted

I am post-op 3 weeks and starting to feel more confident and stronger every day. I had a double procedure for mild bunions and had the bones shortened and a screw placed in each foot. I have followed the Dr's orders and am healing well. I have been cleared for 8 weeks of disability. I must wear a surgical boot at all times, and have just refrained from wearing to the toilet - as I only have a few steps to go.

A bath/shower chair was and still is a godsend. It is soooo nice to sit and not worry about slipping or falling. I have had lots of help from friends who drop in with tasty bits and snacks. I was told to keep off my feet for the first 2 weeks - feet up 50 min of every hour. Now, I have been given a simple brace (Jacoby bunion splint) to wear at all times, in addition to the boot when I am up.

When my stitches were removed (17 days post), the Dr. told me to massage the scar and rub vitamin e oil, or Maderma cream 2x a day and she also gave me a couple of simple manipulations to move my big toe to gain range of motion.

Swelling is minimal, but I still have a long way to go before I can comfortably put on a shoe. The amount of sitting and resting is a challenge because I was/am very active, but it is also lovely to read books and watch movies and murder mysteries. So, as much as it is an inconvenience, I am trying to follow all of the "orders" and enjoy this very sedentary time. I will be up and running very soon!

• Posted

Are you glad you got it done? How is your foot now?? I am getting both feet done in 4 weeks time . Any tips?
  • Posted

im 16 years old. i have moderate bunions on both feet, maybe from running a lot. i may have to get surgery on them. should i get them both done at the same time or go thru the surgery twice. i dont know if i want to have the surgery twice. ive watched videos of it and it looks very brutal.
  • Posted

Mike, 16 years of age seem awfully young. Consult with several doctors and see if you can find one who employs the Ludloff Plate procedure.

This procedure will have you up and walking (with an orthopedic shoe) and eventually the boot within 3 days. This is advised so your muscles do not atrophy. Recovery/healing will still take some time but not nearly 6-8 weeks as with traditional surgery.

It's best to discuss all options with your Physician. You have youth on your side so recovery is easier!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as we do not link directly to commercial or private clinic sites. Users can Google for info or use the private message facility to exchanges links.

• Posted

I do not think a Dr would do both feet at 1 time. You have to be able to use 1 foot while other is minding unless you can use a bed pan & stay in bed for 2 or more weeks. I would consult several Drs before deciding especially if they do not hurt yet

• Posted

How many weeks of school will I miss. I don't want to get too far behind on my work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.