Bunion surgery- PLEASE READ

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi guys!

I am now 3 weeks and 1 day and unfortunately I am in hospital as I developed a blood clot in my lung.

I have never felt pain so bad so please please everyone who has this operation please get mobile as soon as possible! This is a very painful, scary time for me and I can't think about my foot at the moment.

Please stay fit and mobile!!!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

OMG, poor you.

It's touch and go about moving around after this type of op, it's so confusing you either do too much, or too little and then get told off for not doing enough of whatever. But what happened ? What are they doing to help you?

keep your spirits up, and keep posting, shall say a prayer or 2 for you, if you don't mind.

caroline xxxx

• Posted

I honestly felt that I wasn't informed well enough what to do or not to do. I just had shortness of breath and tight chest then horrible stabbing cramping pain in my left side. It hurts to breathe, cough, laugh, I can't lie flat etc...

My dad has had blood clots in his lung before so I recognised the signs and went to a and e and now this is my 4th night in here. I'm having blood thinning injections, strong painkillers, oxygen and then will have warfarin to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Please look out for the warning signs too I did have pain in my left calf but dismissed it as muscle pain. Please get any pain checked out and stay mobile!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Beth very useful to know.  Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that! Thanks for the advice. I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • Posted

Hello Beth,

I am so sorry to hear that your in the hospital. How did this happen? We're you not mobile enough and this is what happened? I'm about 3weeks too and have been having more pain in my foot. Lots of pressure and fire. I think it may be from doing to much. I have to pin on top of foot and staple on big toes. I'm not suppose to walk on it for 8 weeks. I'm half way there and suddenly having more pain.

I wish you well, and praying for you.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Well I genuinely thought I was mobile enough! But clearly not! I just don't want anyone else going through this so if you get any pains at all in calf or chest please get checked! On the up side the pain in my chest has made me forget the pain in my foot!

• Posted

Beth, I am so sorry to hear that. It is indeed very important to keep mobile. Any surgery on hips, knees and , to a lesser extent , feet are at a higher risk of you developing a clot. Movement is very important in helping to prevent this but some people are just unlucky and will develop this anyway.

I did what I was supposed to and only got up to go to the toilet etc in IThe first week but kept doing exercises whilst seated ( rather like those suggested whilst on a plane). At my first check after 6 days I was diagnosed with a DVT in my left calf.

Like yourself I was devastated and was only grateful that it was not more serious like you have I.e , in your lungs

I am extremely grateful for the exceptional care that I have received since then and for the wonder of modern medicine. I was placed on a more modern drug than warfarin and have recently come off it after 4 months.

I am now being checked in case there is a familial link with developing a DVT because my sister developed two in her lungs after her hip replacement .

To everyone reading this - be careful. Keep as mobile as you can and speak to someone as a matter of urgency if you have any concerns.

To Beth - good luck. Modern medicine is fantastic and I am sure that you will be fine. Keep positive and look after yourself

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry you had DVT and glad you're nearing the end of your recovery!

It just shows that we must get any concerns checked and try to mobilise as quick as possible!

But it is true some people just develop them even though they have taken all measures!

Just make yourselves aware of the symptoms guys- I keep being told I'm too young for this- I'm only 22 which shows anyone at any age can get them!

• Posted

Thanks Beth 

i was put on a medication called Rivaroxoban which is a more modern medication than Warfarin and is easier to manage. It does not require the frequent testing of your blood that Warfarin needs. Doesn't need the 'stinger' jabs in your stomach either. Might be worth asking about, although of course it might not be suitable for you

i M being tested for any familial connection which may be the same as you from what you say about your Dad. On the other hand, the doctor has said that I could just have been unfortunate and developed this as a result of surgery and that there should be no further issue. 

You are young to have developed this. However, on the positive side of things as you are young you should recover well Really wish you good luck. Keep us I formed of your recovery. Have a good rest and look after yourself

• Posted

Dear Beth,sorry couldn't be helpfull to you,just praying you will be OK. I am also on my 4 week
  • Posted

Get Well Soon Beth and thanks for the advice.. Thinking of you x
  • Posted

Hi Beth

So sorry to hear what you've been going through. Praying for you to get well soon😊

• Posted

Beth, so sorry to hear your story! I am 10 weeks post op and have developed what I think is sciatica in my leg as it comes and goes but there is calf ache (pain would be too strong a work) and radiates from my hip but I am just about to email my surgeon to check as I am not in the UK,  but thank you so much for highlighting this!

Good luck for a very speedy recovery.

Best wishes Sandra 

• Posted

I had the same that is why I asked my doctor about physio.  See my post to Beth x
  • Posted

Hi Beth,

i wish you a good recovery. By posting this on the forum you are doing a very good thing. Everybody should be aware of those signs after surgery and nobody tells about it in the hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.