Bunion surgery- PLEASE READ

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi guys!

I am now 3 weeks and 1 day and unfortunately I am in hospital as I developed a blood clot in my lung.

I have never felt pain so bad so please please everyone who has this operation please get mobile as soon as possible! This is a very painful, scary time for me and I can't think about my foot at the moment.

Please stay fit and mobile!!!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So sorry to hear this Beth, I was told about blood clots in the legs but not anything else.  I was told to keep moving my leg and feet about wheni was imobile.  I wa never referred to a physio tho and in the end I asked my Doctor if I could go.  The physio was surprised I had not been referred because obviously after being imobile things get stiff.  I have been a lot better since so it is always worth checking things out with doctors etc if nobody tells you anything.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for the good wishes. I am at home now but still in some pain and breathless and tired etc! My foot is still sore but managed a little drive today so feeling more positive!

Still going to the hospital weekly to check my blood and am on Warfarin which is helping to keep my blood from clotting.

I didn't mean to scare anyone but the hospital even gave me blood thinning injections for 5 days after my surgery but it still happened! Any pain in your calf get it checked out! If I had then probably wouldn't have had them in my lung! X

• Posted

Glad to hear you are home and recovering Beth. 

Very best wishes to you.

sue

• Posted

Yes wish you the very best and thanks for letting us know that this can happen. X
    • Posted

Good to hear that you are in the mend.

Will support what Beth has said about pain in the calf and having it checked out. I posted an earlier reply saying that I had also been diagnosed with a DVT following pain in my calf following bunion surgery. Sometimes it just happens despite you following instructions etc. I have now stopped my medication but am still being monitored because my blood is now not clotting correctly. I have also had tests to see if there is a family link which makes us predisposed to getting a DVT because my sister developed one following knee replacement surgery. This will be helpful should I need to have any further surgery.

I am still getting pain in my left calf and up into my thigh. I am being monitored and blood tests show no clot. Apparently the blood test can show that there is definitely no clot or that there could be one and that a scan is needed.

Report anything that you are not sure about. Probably nothing but best to be sure.

Best of luck with your continued recovery, Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.