Bunion surgery - recovery experiences please

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hello

I have just been referred for bunion surgery and I am interested in knowing peoples recovery stories.

I am a single mum of 2 children aged 7 & 9 and my job involves driving.

So I am wondering how quickly people could driver after surgery and how much support I would need at home from my Mum in the early days?

I woould also like to hear from anyone who has had the minimally invasive surgery as I keen to know if the recovery is quicker?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I expect you’ve had your surgery now but here’s my exp. 18 days since left foot. 3 pins in joint. Keyhole surgery. Very little pain and can weight bear. Ok standing still but too much walking is aggravating it. I’ve 3 more weeks off work. Foot swollen and hard to ease into jogger. Burning on top where laces rest as there’s little flesh and nerves not healed. Burns when I massage it. 
    • Posted

No not had surgery yet . I think it will be in the new year. It seems such a long recovery period and very hard for you as you cannot avoid standing as a teacher. I used to teach until I became an Inspector so I know how hard it is .
  • Posted

Hello,

you will need mom around for a couple of weeks.  Driving time for me was after 7 weeks still wearing bunion shoe/boot, switching into a shoe to drive.  I got a larger shoe, for my right foot and switch into it to drive. I remove it and back into bunion shoe/ boot.   It's my 8 week.  The surgery was very painful for me.  Much better now, large toe moves a little,still swells.  Iam not back to my full self.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this thread with both intrigue and happiness for those who have had successful experiences with the surgery. I have just recently been informed that I have bunions on both my feet - which was both upsetting and surprising as I am only 22. 

I am thinking of getting bunion surgery but am nervous at the idea and was wondering if anyone had any advice or know of any surgeons in melbourne who have had good reviews...

• Posted

Advise wise, if it's not painful you may not need surgery, you want surgery to be your last option.  Maybe try seeing a podiatrist first to see if you can do something without surgery.   Otherwise I saw Dr Paul Rice and am 5 weeks post opp on both feet and have had a really easy recovery so far, though it has been very slow with me being off my feet for most of that time.  But I personally tried everything other then surgery without any real improved results.  So for me the surgery was for better quality of life on my feet.  Hope that helps you a little.

• Posted

I have no pain in my feet but am afraid it will get worse eventually...

Did everyone's feet get really really bad? - I want to stop the progression in any way possible

• Posted

Hi,

as they say no pain do not mess with it.  There are lots of sites that will give information on excercises and ideas to prevent surgery.  Surgery should be the last.  I am not having my left done, I have no pain.  I do have a bunion, Iam doing excercises and wearing a bunion sleeve.  One foot done and just getting around after 2 months.  December 21 going to PT.

i recommend excercises.  Good luck!  I hope I was of some help.

• Posted

Hi, Just thought I'd mention that I put off having my bunion done for 20 years because I did not have any pain and it didn't hinder my walking but the reason that drove me to getting it done was that I couldn't, in the end,  get find any shoes or sandals to fit and didn't want to go down the track of having them made.   By the time I got round to doing something about it I had been diognosed with moderate osteoporosis and was told by the surgeon that my only option was to have the bunion shaved and the tendon released between the bunion toe and the next one so it wouldn't pull it over.     I had this done three months ago and am walking now although foot still feels a bit stiff.   I am a bit disappointed with the outcome as my bunion has been reduced slightly but still looks quite lumpy on the side.  So my advice is not to put it off too long like I did and end up being told because I have moderate osteoporosis that it couldn't be operated on properly.

• Posted

Hi Elisa

I saw 3 surgeons in Melbourne. 

Andrew Kingsford

Edward Williams

Mark Gilhearney

2 Poditery surgeons and Edward orthopedic. 

Choose Mark as a client of mine had  hers done  by him and others I spoke to recommended him. Esward wanted to just fuse my big toe....last resort u want to do.

You get refund with orthopaedic surgeon not Poditery surgeon was out of pocket $7000.

Day 6 and so far so good.

Good luck. 

Cj

• Posted

Hi

I started getting bunions when I was about 12 years old (I blame very tight roller skates, I used to dance on them............shhh don't tell he he)  No pain or problem, besides finding comfy shoes that fit, until I turned about 50 years of age.  They would ache and slowly over a couple of years I could tell were getting worse. The pain as well as growing bigger.

Personally I would recommend the operation that I had - double bunionectomy.  The recovery I thought for me was fine, the small scars are tiny.  Today is the last day of wearing my bunion sleeve.  I see Dr. in Feb.  Hopefully he will say I can run.  Can't wait. 

Good luck to all and merry xmas and happy new year.

Tamsin

I never did anything to prevent them from getting worse

• Posted

Hey there

I also had bunions by the time I was 22, the right foot though being more prominent then the left, I really didn't suffer  with them but the right toe was already turning in and my grandmother had them and they were terribly unsightly so I was really concerned that my feet would turn out the same, despite many people advising to hold off until they were painful I decided at 24 I would have the right one operated on and so I did by Dr Greg Bruce, this was some 25 years ago now.   I am unsure of the correct terminology for the name of the operation but I understand that the toe joint around the bunion was broken and then realigned with pins and I believe the bunion was shaved.  My toe did end up slighter shorter but overall the recovery was fine, don't recall a lot of pain,  I was out of action for 2 weeks, had a couple of physiotherapy sessions and didn't start any real exercise for probably 3 months post operation (not because I couldn't have just because I chose not to).   I did have the pin removed about a year later as I found it was rubbing against my shoes.  I have a scar that is about  2.5cm.  

I am so glad that I chose to have the operation at the time and still 25 years later the operation is still such a success with no pain, no problems and my right foot is nice and straight and post op I continued to wear any sort of shoes I desired including heals. 

My left foot on the other hand is now definitely ready for an operation and is much worse than my right foot ever was pre operation and looks terrible.   My toe is numb and I have constant discomfort so I am now looking to have this foot operated on but unfortunately Dr Bruce who did my operation all those years ago doesn't seem to be around any longer and I've been to visit Dr Lam but I just didn't seem to connect with him.   

Though there seems to be numerous people on this blog who have used him, does anyone recommend anyone else in Sydney?

Elisak3 I have no problem recommending the operation to you even though you are only 22 as from my own experience it was and still is a complete success.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi , i will be undergoing a double bunionectomy at the end of June with Dr Paul Rice, a recommendation from my neighbour who has had them done a few times due to rheumatoid arthritis.

I am a teacher and will be taking at least 3 months off work.

Can you advise me as to the pain reducing medication you took that is non constipating , as i suffered from this symptom when i had a spinal fusion operation about 18 months ago?

• Posted

Hey all.

Guy here in my mid 20s. I'm not sure what I had done but I know I've got two screws and a plate. It was somewhat severe.

About 24 hours after surgery I fell into extreme pain. I'm a big guy (6'1, 230 lbs, active) and was prescribed 10 mg of oxy. I was crieing hard, I was convulsing. My girlfriend was left terrified after reading most people say they were left unharmed. Even 78 hours post op, I have throbbing pain. I have not on it, have elevated, and drank very large amounts of water and apple juice. Is this normal or what?

• Posted

Hi 

Yes it is normal to have a lot of pain for 3 or so days after surgery...mine was a 10 out of 10...but turns out I was not taking enough pain killers...once that was more under control pain was less...I also had joint recunstructoon. ..so not pleasent...make sure u are elevating  your feet as much as possible. ..drink lots of water...first week...I was told to only be on my feet just to go to toilet...second week 10 min in hour...check with your surgeon or his PA...that is what they are there fore.

I'm going into week 4 still pain but less...to be expected. 

Good luck 👣

• Posted

Hey buddy. This is day 10 for me and I still get throbbing pain in my foot. I end up with pain in my upper leg too, I don't know if that's because of keeping my leg elevated or what. I'm concerned as I was supposed to heel walk and was not given crutches. I happen to have some available to me though and I've used them every day. I can't walk on this thing at all, and every morning it hurts when I wake up and I can never go back to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.