Bunionectomy two days out and miserable

Posted , 9 users are following.

It was just two days ago that I came out of bunionectomy surgery quite elated with the good drugs and numbing still very present in my system, however, when they wore off a few hours later I have been hard pressed to enjoy any relief from the stabbing, swelling and burning sensations. I'm glad to hear that this swelling and stabbing is normal and am sorry for the discomfort that all of you are suffering. This blog has given me some comfort knowing that I am not alone or just weak! Now I have a couple of questions. I hesitate to call the doctors after hours number (surgery was Friday/office closed) when I don't think it's an emergency; except for lavatory trips I am down with foot elevated but the compression from ace bandage and boot make the pain more unbearable. Am I doing any damage by not wearing them?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry for weird words chosen by auto correct

Not a good idea to type without glasses

• Posted

You will so dance again Vanessa,  just not tomorrow

In the meantime,  tell your surgoeon that when it is his turn he can do it without aids.

I used crutches and wheel chair for the first two weeks and then crutches only for as long as I felt I needed them.  Your job is to make it as easy and as comfortable for yourself as possible with aids,  meds and help from others.

It amounts to being your own best friend.  In other words do what your best friend would advise you to do.

• Posted

I love dancing too. Irish dancing! Heavy work on the ball of the foot. I have decided to give it up for a year while this foot and soon (no date yet) the other foot recovers. I really miss it. sad

I tell myself it will be worth it.

• Posted

Hi how are you now ? The first couple of days were pretty much the same now a 6 days on my main pain is the burning you describe in the soles of my feet. 
    • Posted

Hello, thank you for asking! Well, so much better and there in lies the problem. I tossed the crutches aside yesterday and forced myself to walk around the house, can't carry anything with crutches! Last night and today I'm paying for it, super swollen and top of my foot is throbbing - so I'm back down darn it. Overall though I think great progress has been made just to much to soon - it's an age old story!
  • Posted

I have not got to the point of overdoing it yet, still early days.. Glad to hear your a little better though x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.