Burch colposuspension

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've just had another urodynamics with xray test and have been told that a colpo suspension is the best way forward for me as my bladder muscle is too weak to allow me to wee properly after having TVT.  I'm quite pleased not to be having TVT as I've read some horror stories about them, but it would be good to be able to go for long walks and do my zumba classes etc without being soaked!  Does anyone out there have experience of this operation?  I know it's not used often these days as it's quite an expensive procedure and most women just have the TVT.  It would  be good to know of any successes.

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry can't help but goodluck. I am having 1st meeting with the incontinence nurse next Wednesday.
    • Posted

Good luck to you too Moodyone.  Unfortunately it's usually quite  long time from seeing the incontinence nurse to actually having treatment in my experience.  You'll probably have all the kegel exercises etc to try first - and of course they might work for you.  All the best!
  • Posted

Hi Mary90,

I'm just about to go for my urodynamics (Thursday)...the Consultant has told me to choose between the TVT and the colposuspension although he was definitely pushing me towards the latter.  He told me to go away and review it carefully but did stress that although the colposuspension was a bigger op, it had been going for a lot longer and had a bigger success rate....on reading some of the horror stories around the TVT I'm moving towards the bigger op (only downside is that my company don't pay sick pay so I'm gonna struggle following the op).  I'm office based so I'm hoping I'm going to be able to be back in work after 4 weeks off.  Not quite sure what the waiting time is for the op in my area (Liverpool) but will hopefully know more following my appointment on Thursday.

• Posted

Hi Callyw, I replied to you about an hour ago but it disappeared into the ether. Apologies if this appears twice.

I would definitely go for the colposuspension if I were you. I haven't had my op yet but I've done a lot of research and from what I've read I wouldn't touch TVT with a barge pole! I know the recovery is longer initially but there appear to be far fewer problems afterwards. The main thing I'm worried about is the possiblility of not being able to empty my bladder properly after it but that is even more common with TVT. I know it can also cause prolapse in some women too but I'm hoping I won't be one of them.

Do let me know how you get on and I'll do the same. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

Callyw31- hey my advice is to go for burch procedure. I am about to have third mesh surgery to remove it and have burch done at the same time. All doctors are different mine is doing it laparoscopically. Even an open incision should only be 4-6 weeks recovery. I don't want to bad mouth the sling because many women have no issue with it but if you have any doubt go with the burch. There are no foreign bodies involved and its using your own tissue with sutures to support bladder neck. If it helps at all I wish I could turn back time and picked the burch over tvt. Best wishes!!
    • Posted

Hi, I have just joined & sending a few messages out. I see you have had bad problems with the tape. I hope this has been sorted for you & you have had or going to have soon your burchsuspension. I had my burchsuspension 10 years ago.18mths after a total hysterectomy (Abdominal & didn't go well) that was the start of my probs but that's a long story. I have seen my consultant today about a 2nd bladder repair. I have developed urge as well as the severe stress incontinence now. That started about 5 yrs post burchsuspension. I have a lot of worries about having a tape. It's more complicated to do a 2nd repair. I have had 3 more abdominal surgeries (bowel, hernia's, appendix) since my burchsuspension so don't know if that affected the bladder op? My leakage is much worse now than 1st time needing repair. But it is 10yrs down the line. Have you ever tried or been offered Botox for the bladder? I don't know anyone 10 yrs or more post burchsuspension or anyone had a 2nd repair. I was 42 when I had the burchsuspension. Take it you would say go with my doubts on any tape method & stay away? 

• Posted

Hey! In my opinion I would stay far away from tape but I also had a horrific experience with it. I still have some mild leakage even after burch but it's not horrible. I have heard about Botox for urge and stress incontinence but never did it. It sounds like something interesting to try since it is temporary. Keep me updated smile

• Posted

Join 'sling the mesh' on facebook see how TVT has affected some peoples lives 

• Posted

Awww thanks ladies....appointment for the urodynamics was one of the most embarrasing and degrading things I've ever had to go through...though nothing could top childbirth !!!! Anyway did have a good talk with the consultant ...told him my doubts about the TVT...he wasn't committing to say anything bad about the TVT even when I asked about it being banned in Scotland...he feels that this was a 'knee jerk reaction' but did add that it had to be my decision and both ops were suitable for me.  My friend's had the TVT and is thrilled with the results but she is only a year post-op and from what I read it can take a few years for the damage to kick in.  I did ask to have a bit longer to think about my decision and came away and printed all the documents off that I could find and have had a long hard think and talk with the hubby and we both feel that the burch is the better option.  Going back in June to let him know my decision.  Consultant said I'd be done within 3 months of my decision so will let you all know.  I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't scared...it doesn't help having a terrible phobia of hospitals and being put to sleep but hey I need to start thinking long term and all them trampolines I can bounce on once I'm done hahahahah ....thanks again ladies x
    • Posted

Hi Cally. How did your op go? I'm in the same situation as you I have been offered burch or the tvt. I has the start of the tvt op in July but the surhein made the hole too big so therefore couldn't insert the tape. I was stitched up and sent home. I'm now with a new gyny who is very much old school. I have a lot more faith and trust in him. I'm swaying more to the Burch despite the recovery time. Please I would love to hear back from you and see how it went for you. I've got my trampoline on stand by x

• Posted

Have a look on facebook at ....sling the mesh....it will give you an idea of how this can affect your life take care

• Posted

Hi mary

i had tvt and the burch colposuspension.  Neither procedure worked for me.  I had them done together.  I had surgery 15 months ago and now leak more than before surgery.  If you are considering any type of sling procedure you can have it with your own tissue and I would go that route.  I was told tvt was not what people are suing over and that is not true.  The uroGyno who did my surgery had 36 years of expierience so I thought I would be cured after surgery.  Now ivebeen to,d "well there is a 15 percent failure rate and you are just one of the unlucky ones". I also now have pelvic pain I didn't have before but think it's from tvt sling.  I hope your surgery goes well and you have success with surgery.  Take care

• Posted

Hi cin0619,

?So sorry to hear about your problems after the colposuspension.  I had my surgery done in August and have been very pleased with the result; I'm now dry and have no discomfort at all.  Did your leaking start at a later date after the op or did the op never cure the problem?  I was very careful not to do any physical exercise at all for 3 months aferwards because I had heard that it could jeapardise the outcome, even now I'm careful not to lift anything heavy.  I think you always have to be careful after such a procedure.  I've never heard of having both colposuspension and TVT done together; that sounds very odd as they both treat the same problem.  I would never go near the tape as I have heard such horror stories about it.  I did have a bulking agent injected a few years ago which worked for a while but failed after about 6 months, this is a procedure you have to keep topping up and the NHS would not be prepared to continue to fund it so I can't recommend that to you.  I know the colposuspension can fail after about 10 years but can be done again.  I feel so sorry for you and can only offer you my best wishes that something can be done to sort things out.  Take care.

• Posted

HI Mary,

the surgery never worked from day I had it.  I took 9 weeks off of work then went back part time. I had severe endometriosis and all kinds of repair work.  I think my urethra was covered with endo as well so could of had damage when they removed it I don't know.  I also went to pelvic floor therapy afterwards and they want to send me again.  I'm careful what I lift because afraid the repair will fail so I feel I've been really careful.  I feel like this doctor has just tried to blow me off since surgery.  He now recommending urethral bulking but I'm Leary to do anything else and end up worse.  Can I ask what type of bulking you had?  I haven't read many good reviews about it so really reluctant to try it.  I'm glad your surgery went well.  I hope you get many years out of your repair.  Take care

• Posted

Hi cin0619,

?I had Bulkamid injected.  It worked well to begin with but I began to leak again within a few months and by about 6 months was back to square one.  The body just absorbs it and you have to keep on having it re-done.  I don't think there are any issues with safety so I'm sure it wouldn't do you any harm to try it out - who knows, it might work better for you than it did for me.  Wishing you all the best,

• Posted

Hi Mary, I had my burch colposuspension 10years ago & now need a 2nd bladder repair. I had my done 18mths after an TAH  BSO for a prolapsed bladder. The birch worked for me but I was looking after my granddaughter while her mum was at work. Difficult baby & the carrying her around put to much pressure on the sling I think. I have a strangled bowel via a hernia, appendix out twice (stump left to long) adhesion removal since my birch. Think all the abdo surgery disturbed sling as well. I was wondering if you can have a 2nd birch & I noticed you had put in your comment that you can. Definitely better than risking the tape I think. Especially if your own tissue is used for the support. They do only give them about 10years. I was 42 having the 1st one. Do u know anyone had a 2nd birch & if it went ok etc?

• Posted

Hi please look at ...sling the mesh ....on facebook you will get honesty on there 
    • Posted

Hi Nicola,

?I don't personally know anyone who has had a second colposuspension but my urologist told me it could be done and to come back again in the future if I had any more trouble - thankfully I haven't as yet.

?I suggest you see your GP and discuss where to go from here.  Wishing you the best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.