Burch colposuspension

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've just had another urodynamics with xray test and have been told that a colpo suspension is the best way forward for me as my bladder muscle is too weak to allow me to wee properly after having TVT.  I'm quite pleased not to be having TVT as I've read some horror stories about them, but it would be good to be able to go for long walks and do my zumba classes etc without being soaked!  Does anyone out there have experience of this operation?  I know it's not used often these days as it's quite an expensive procedure and most women just have the TVT.  It would  be good to know of any successes.

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary, I have had 2 tvt operations, both unsuccessful. I am now having my bladder lifted by using the bladder tissue in November like yourself. Will let you know how I get on
    • Posted

Good luck Fiona, I hope it goes well  My understanding of Burch colposuspension is that stitches are used to support the bladder rather than bladder tissue, but perhaps you're having it done a different way.

• Posted

Hi Mary. I am due to have the Burch in October and although I am still very nervous I have asked for this over the tape procedure. I have had a nightmare time of late. I originally went in for the tvt but the op was cut short as the surgeon made one of the incisions too big. I suffer from street and urge incontinence to the point where I cant walk along the street without leaking and at 44 its humiliating. I would love to speak to you some more about your experiences please. Hope to hear from you soon. 

Julie x

• Posted

Hi Julie,  I'm happy to answer any of your questions.  I had my op just over a year ago and it was the best decision I ever made.  I too use to leak just by walking down the street and I'm now completely dry.  I hope it's just as successful for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I've been following this thread since I found out. How was the initial op? Was the recovery time lon get than 6 weeks? I'm a waitress and will be on my feet all day lifting heavy plates so will need to know I'm O. K before I go back. Also what was it like afterwards. The gyny mentioned having a catheter in? Did you have any problems with retention. I'm terrified of water infections as I've had so many. Sorry to bombard you but it's a great help to talk to someone who has been through it xx

• Posted

Hi Julie,  I had open surgery with a bikini cut. If you're having keyhole it will be a shorter recovery.  I was in hospital for 4 days because they don't let you out until the drain and catheter have been removed   As well as the cut you will have two little holes on either side for the drain and the internal catheter. After a couple of days they take this one out and give you a normal one through the urethra. This is to rest your bladder after the op.  I must admit the first few times I tried to wee my bladder went into a spasm which was painful but they give you medication to help and it doesn't last long. I didn't have any problems with retention, that worried me too. 

You should rest completely for the first six weeks. Not much more than a short walk around the garden then feet up. You should avoid lifting for 12 weeks so you don't jeapardise the outcome. I really don't think it would be wise to carry heavy plates around at that point. It's frustrating but necessary to make sure you give it the best chance of success. 

I'm off on holiday in the morning for two weeks so won't be able to answer any more questions until I get back but if there's anything else you want to know I will get back to you then. 

It's definitely worth doing and I wish you the best of luck with it all. It's been a life changer for me!

Mary x

• Posted

Thank you Mary. I too will be having open surgery. You have put my mind at rest agsin thank you so much. Have a super holiday x
    • Posted

Hi Mary I hope you had a great holiday. Iv e got my date through for the Burch op and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was very nervous. How did you manage the pain after surgery? Did anything feel different when you was able to resume a normal love life? Sorry if that's too personal a question. I just can't wait to throw away my tena lady mattresses and get on with beING a healthy 44 year old x

• Posted

Hi Julie,  The only pain I had after the op was on day 2 when they removed the catheters and I tried to wee myself for the first time. It might not happen to you but my bladder went into a spasm which was very painful indeed.The nurse gave me morphine straight away and it lasted for less than 10 minutes,  This happened a few times but stopped before I left hospital.  I don't know if that's common or just personal to me.  That was the only pain though and a bit of tenderness from the incision site.

?You'll feel tired and will need a lot of rest but that's to be expected after major surgery.  Don't try to do things too soon, especially lifting.  I was told not to lift anything heavier than a kettle for at least 6 weeks and avoid all lifting for 12 weeks where possible.

?As regards your love life some women have reported a different feeling inside and having to practise different positions until they found the right one for them (I researched this too as also being concerned about the outcome) but from my own point of view nothing changed at all; sensation was just as good and it was just as enjoyable as before.  Certainly no pain, if that's what you're worried about.  I would give it a good six weeks before you make love though to let everything settle down.

?Try not to worry Julie; I'm sure this operation will change your life.  Three months of recuperation is well worth the years of stress and leak free living you will have afterwards.  Keep in touch and let me know how everything went and I'll say a little prayer for your speedy recovery.

Mary xx

• Posted

Hi Mary it's me again, I'm about to start 6th week with the Innovo, no joy yet but I'm persevering. Just wondered where you had your surgery for the colposuspension, and who was your surgeon. As I feel it's good to make sure you choose a competent surgeon. Thanks in advance x 

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear your Innovo hasn't worked. 

I had my surgery done by Melissa Davies in Salisbury Oddstock Hospital. That was with the NHS and I think she also practices privately at New Hall Hospital in Salisbury. 

Good luck. 

Mary  x

• Posted

Thanks Mary it's a bit far for me to travel but I might contact her secretary to see if she can recommend a surgeon in my area. Thanks again x 

• Posted

Hi Mary. Hope you are well. Well I had my burch operation on 19th October. It wasn't straight forward as I had to stay in fir 5 days. I came hone with a sub pubic catheter which is still in nearly 2 weeks later. At first I couldn't wee by myself and had to free drain for a week now I am training my bladder with both. Fingers crossed by next week I won't need it at all. Slow recovery but positive outcome. Just wanted to let you know x

• Posted

Hi Julie,

?Sorry to hear it wasn't straightforward for you.  I also had to stay in for 5 days until my drain was removed as urine was leaking into it.  They suspected a small nick in my bladder but if so it healed again quickly.

I hope everything goes well for you from now on and the catheter is removed soon.  I'm sure you will feel it has all been worthwhile when you no longer leak.

Good luck!

• Posted

Im researching burch procedure and wonder has anyone had this done in Ireland?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.