Burning Bladder but not when peeing.

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on the Prostate forum for a couple of months as i have an enlarged Prostate and people there have been fantastically helpful . Last week though i developed what i thought was a UTI that i got a very severe burning where the bladder is.Got so bad had to seek medical advice and say a Doc . He tested urine but no infection! Strange thing is although the bladder feels very sore and on fire i dont seem to be getting the burning urine you would expect with a UTI ! Doc tried me on Cipro and just finishing a weeks course and no relief at all . I see Urologist in a week but i can hardly get any sleep as it is so bad and wondered if anyone had experienced this . Could it be from the Prostate? Can the Bladder be irritated with no sign of infection in urine?

Thanks so much all,

John

2 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi john

I am female, but had similar discomfort no infection a few years ago, after many tests and cystoscopy etc, results all fine.

Turned out i had discomfort due to sensitive bladder / over active, as in i had bladder muscle spasm and it would mimic a uti and discomfort, seemed to come and go and returned when had abit of stress etc.

Anyhow doc gave me oxybutinin tablets to take when this happened, take as and when. And they worked, all relaxed no pain and the uti feelings gone.

Still use them now, but rare occassion it happens, so dont have to much.

Bladder muscle spasm is awful.

Thought i would mention just incase this could be you too

Jay

• Posted

Thanks so much Jayne . Have to admit (and never nice to admit it to yourself) but i am going through one of the most stressful periods of my life so when you mentioned stress i really paid attention to that! Thanks so much for typing that,people on these forums are fantastic with their help :-)
    • Posted

Hi john

hope you find some relief, stress can cause alsorts of niggles.

Especially bladder ( in my case )

something to bare in mind.

I found a pattern in my case.

Stress ( lots of) brought it on for me, tensed up - so did bladder muscle

But Oxybutinin sorted it

All good now

Jay

• Posted

I've pretty much the same thing as you and stress since to make my sensitive worse.  Stress come from e.g; the thought of not being able to find a bathroom or having to use a public bathroom.  You're lucky that your given the correct medication to help your problem and lucky that your doctor did many tests on you.  Over here, I'd be lucky if they could diagnose my problem correctly. My doctors won't even bother doing any tests (too costly) and heaven forbid if I should suggest to my doctor the med you've mentioned here. They'd shoot it down in nothing flat.  Instead I was given an antispasmodic med, which I've only tried once and it didn't do much.  N'ways, glad your doctor was able to find a solution to your oversensitive bladder.   
    • Posted

Hi Jay, what we're all your symptoms? I have urinary frequency and feels like burning when I need to pee but not while I pee. I suddenly will have the urge to pee even after I just peed or have very little in my bladder. I have been tested for Infection came back clear as well as vaginal swabs all came back clear. I have no other pain really. And can I ask how old you are and if you have had children. Thanks so muchsmile

• Posted

I have not been on antibiotics for over a year. They didn't work anyway. My doc referred me to a urologist but my insurance won't cover it. So I have just been dealing with it.

• Posted

Hi lynn Oh dear r u in the U.K.? I mean if yes then u could go through Nhs. I've been having frequent uti symptoms for last two yrs antibiotics calm things down but uti symptoms don't completely disappear urine cultures only came back positive a few times, my pains not exactly in bladder but every time I have discomfort and uti symptoms I get terrible soreness in lower right abdomen u know where the Ureters r ( the two tubes on either side which carry urine from kidneys) the soreness is terrible feels like there's a wound inside. Anyone out there had similar problems

• Posted

Hi there

I've been suffering for a few months now . Mostly water infection symptoms doctors treat over phone 3 times no better finally took sample and had strep b infection I have only ever had 1 proven infection . I get the symptoms and when dip my sample has blood and white cells , they send

Off comes back clear !! I'm left in pain . I've had a scan that was showing kidneys clear and

Bladder but did diagnose cyst on ovary and fybroid . I've just had cystoscopy and my bladder is in perfect condition referred to gynie for follow . I now have the symptoms again but feel a fool to ring the GP again !! Had enough

• Posted

Thanks Jay, it seems I have the same issue.. I have got so many test done hardly any infection but the burning is like some thing is cutting while urinating this happen even when I feel like urinating.

By reading your message it seems it is due to stress which I tend to pick a lot.

• Posted

I had the same symptoms. Doctors couldn't find any thing wrong. I found out Im allergic to most toilet paper in public restrooms. The kind that breaks down fast for septic systems. They have a chemical on them to help them break down. Problem cleared up when I started carrying my own toilet paper with me

• Posted

Hi jay i know this post is from three years ago but im having same problems and urin test and cultures coming back as negetive ! My gp prescribed me bladder relaxer but not oxybutinine something else however its a prolonged one and doesnt seem to work well ! Im wondering was the one given to you is an immidiate release or extended one ?  
  • Posted

Hi John and Jay

I am female as well, but this post caught my eye about what i might be experiencing. Over the past year i thought i had been experiencing UTI, however since christmas i have been experiencing these more regularly with a couple times a month. I went to see the doctor he said it wasnt UTI as not same symtpoms. When it comes i have constant pain within my bladder which can feel like buring and some pain after i have gone to the toliet, however i keep giving in samples but no infections have been found. I have been referred to a urologist but it is taking a long time and the pain keeps coming back. 

Just wandering if this could be a similar thing, but worried if it isnt picked up soon it could effect and damage me.

• Posted

Hiya Berry,

I havent sadly got any more info i can give you relating to what it could be but i saw the Urologist on Thursday and he said its unrelated to the Prostate which he put me on 6 weeks of antibiotics for . He was not sure so sending me for a cystoscapy.....not looking forward to it.Will be my third over the years.

Hope your pain eases soon and will let you know once i have had it what they say :-)

• Posted

Hi Berry

In us women it can also be hormone related.. Does this kick off so to speak at certain times of month?

Also can be worse on onset of period, peri menopause etc

Jay x

• Posted

Hi Berry,

I have had the same thing...for more than 20 years! Sadly, I recently found out I was allergic to the toilet paper I was using. I started using a certain brand because it stated on the package 'safe for septic systems' and didnt think a thing of it, other than I was concerned with plumbing issues in my house! Well, I ran out of t.p. one day, and borrowed a roll from my neighbor (truly embarrasing) but to my delight, and surprise, the rest of the day, i HAD NO BURNING!  I thought 'how odd that i havent burned today'...nothing else changed; same fabric softner, same detergents, etc... the only thing different was the T.P.! Well, i have STOPPED burning since that day! I no longer buy the 'safe for septic systems' t.p., as I have switched to my neighbors brand. By the way, Google 'allergies to toilet paper' and you will see alot of the symptoms that you are experiencing. I was. I spent thousands of dollars with Gyn's, Urologists, Internal Medicine, etc... and here it is I am just allergic to chemicals in the toilet paper. This is really scary. Now I am wondering if other products we use 'down there' may have loads of chemicals and poisons that we are not even aware of...including feminine hygiene products (kotex, etc).  Please, Berry, try a different Toilet Paper...I am 99% sure you have a reaction to the chemicals like I am.  I now use 'Big Roll' toilet paper from Walgreens, and havent had a problem with burning since I borrowed that roll from my neighbor....2 months ago.   God Bless you!

• Posted

Thanks for posting this. I just recently had problems with the burning that you mentioned. It would come and go. I would at times be fine and the next day have the burning again. I noticed a pattern when the burning would happen, always shopping at a flea market an hour from our house. I decided to take my own t.p. Sure enough, that was it.

Thanks for sharing

• Posted

Hi

I suffer from constant UTI and bladder pain and have done so for 10 years. If toilet tissue is the cause then I can't believe me or no one has thought of this before so thank You! I will Google best brands and try this 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.