Burning Bladder but not when peeing.

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on the Prostate forum for a couple of months as i have an enlarged Prostate and people there have been fantastically helpful . Last week though i developed what i thought was a UTI that i got a very severe burning where the bladder is.Got so bad had to seek medical advice and say a Doc . He tested urine but no infection! Strange thing is although the bladder feels very sore and on fire i dont seem to be getting the burning urine you would expect with a UTI ! Doc tried me on Cipro and just finishing a weeks course and no relief at all . I see Urologist in a week but i can hardly get any sleep as it is so bad and wondered if anyone had experienced this . Could it be from the Prostate? Can the Bladder be irritated with no sign of infection in urine?

Thanks so much all,

John

2 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Berry,

Well the plot thickens !!! I am still having the burning and pain but had my cystoscopy today and totally normal! No sign of inflammation or anything ! In one way i am happy its not the worst case thing i was worried about but its left me really worrying as to what can be causing this burning?????

• Posted

Sometimes it is a food allergy. Mine are from latex allergy foods, like bananas, avocados, pineapples. ....
  • Posted

Oh no, yeh the that is good news in one way like you said, but what could it be. Have they said a next option? I am still waiting for my next appointment to come through its nearly been a month now. 
  • Posted

Hello guys

I read this discussion with great interest, as I too am experiencing very similar symptoms. Frequent urination (sometimes upto 30 times a day) a burning and really uncomfortable sensation in the bladder, but not when passing urine. This feeling remains, even after urination, like I'm constantly needing the loo. I was prescribed antibiotics for a suspected UTI, but symptoms remain, although to a lesser degree. Urine came back clear twice. It has been suggested I may have a prolapse or fibroids, so this is the next stage of investigation. Interestingly, I too have been going through a period of stress and worry. Any thoughts anyone? How are you all getting on? 

• Posted

Hi john, I have had the same type of pain for over 2 years.  I have had all sorts of investigations by urologists including an MRI for prostate cancer which came out negative.  My pain occurs as my bladder fills and goes away when I pee, only to return the next time it fills.  I did get to the point of urinating up to 20 times per day but my GP recently prescribed Tolterodine which reduced the urgency / frequency back to normal.  The GP has started talking about something called interstitial cystitis (IC) and has referred me back to the urologists.  IC occurs about 90% in women but can happen to men, this may be what you have. 
    • Posted

How do you try to reduce the pain without meds? What works? 

I hate this kind of pain and IC is something that seems to explain it in men.

• Posted

So, it's been nine months, did you find a solution?
    • Posted

No,sadly its got worse and Urologists cant find a cause and have just said it must be Painful Bladder Syndrome and take painkillers! But does not work :-(
    • Posted

Hi John. How is the bladder pain. Has it gone away. Did you get a diagnosis in the end? Is it bladder pain / IC if so there are a few guys with our on a few forums if you need to talk
    • Posted

Just out of interest. When they did the cystoscopy, and they filled your bladder up Did it hurt when they put the fluid in your bladder, normally it is very painful when they fill your bladder up and go through your bladder neck with the cystoscope. If you tolerated your cystoscopy well and it wasn't painful it may not be painfull hladder syndrome/ ic. One way of diagnosing it is finding out if you have hunners ulcers in your bladder
    • Posted

Hi Dan,sadly it has just got worse as time progressed and now having to take Gaberpentin and codeine to deal with the pain.They have said they think its IC but do not seem to sure as cystoscopy looked fairly normal :-(
    • Posted

To be honest it was a few months back and the painful bit was them squirting the anaesthetic into the penis . Cant remember much about the feeling of the liquid but did find it a very uncomfortable experience.I have had two and neither i would like to have again to be honest.
  • Posted

I am 65 and have this to varying degrees.  After tests to confirm I did't hava a urine infection, my doctor said our skin, inside and out gets old, so it's probably become sensitive.  She couldn't do anything for me.  I had burning in my vagina after not having sex for a while and she said the same thing.  It was a case of use it or lose it for me, so that did get better with use but this isn't so easily fixed.  Thanks for the post.  I thought I must have been imagining it.  I will ask my doctor for some medicatio to relax the bladder.
  • Posted

Hi john, I posted before on this.  I had a cystoscopy with distension and biopsy in August 2015 for my bladder pain.  The cystoscopy /distention didn't show any inflammation but the biopsies highlighted significant bladder wall inflammation.  This is what's causing the bladder pain. I have started a course of bladder instillations which is reducing the pain, take Tolterodine which sorts out frequency / urgency and Prelief to make my urine less acidic.  This seems to help.  My bladder pain started alongside mild Haematuria, which I still have, cancer has been ruled out in both bladder and prostate.  The urologist/ GP have a working diagnosis of interstitial cystitis and BPH.
    • Posted

Hiya twiglet if I'm guessing right r u male??? What other symptoms did u have with bladder pain? When u say they ruled out cancer do y mean it's not cancer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.