Burning & hot to the touch in my TKA.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone else experience burning with their TKA. I also have hot to the touch & a lot of swelling. I'm 9 wks out.

Any advice?

Thanks !

Leta

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey Leta,

I'm 14 weeks out and still have the hot to touch and swelling. Mine acts up when I have overdid the exercising, walking, etc. I can tell when I overdo it as my knee will stiffen up. Ice is my best friend right now, I still ice 4-5 times a day. I'm not working but I do go to the gym 3-4 times a week since my therapy is over now. Its a long process and everyone's recovery is different, but just remember it gets better or you have changes everyday. This is the best site ever though to be able to talk to people that are going thru the same thing. Keep your head up. 😊😊

• Posted

Warming and swelling are normal.  I'm almost 15 months post-op and it feels a bit warm-ish on occasion.  Could last 18 months...one of those "lingering" effects.

Swelling is totally normal for 9 weeks, especially after PT or if you try to push the knee too far.  Going forward, the only real swelling you'll get is if you overwork the knee.  It will ALWAYS come back and bite you.  My recommendation is to get a pedometer (Fit Bit, Smart Watch, etc.) and track your steps.  When the knee swells, check your steps...back off...resume gradually,  You CANNOT PUSH A KNEE...period.  You can avoid the swelling by checking your steps regularly.  When you get close to your current limit, STOP.

Did 8,200+ steps 5 weeks post-op and had a hot-air balloon for a knee.  Never did that again.  Checked my steps every day...never swelled again.  By 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (5 miles).  It's all under your control.

Get some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Great 15-minutes before bedtime.  Helps a lot.

• Posted

Hi Leta,

I'm almost 17 weeks post op and still have heat and swelling. My consultant said it's very normal and can last up to 12 months gradually getting better.

I don't ice any longer as my physio at my last visit at around 10 weeks said it would no longer be beneficial but I still elevate whenever possible.

• Posted

I'm about 18 weeks out bilateral TKR and I still get a bee stingy, pins and needles sensation in my knees but not hot to touch. And, I was told it'a everything healing; nerves, etc. Hope this is helpful. 🙏??

• Posted

The "pins and needles" are the nerves regenerating and healing.  At almost 15 months, that's pretty much gone except when kneeling.  Normal...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.