Burning mouth and swollen lips???

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. Going through perimenopause, many symptoms. Possibly had last period a couple of months ago. 

Suddenly, new symptom: burning mouth, red and inflamed tongue, and today, woke with extremely swollen lips. Hard to talk well. Also, dry mouth has been constant for few weeks now. 

Anyone had this? I've read it can be related to dropping estrogen levels. Has HRT helped anyone with this? Should I see my doc? Ugh. Thanks.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi J, I've heard of burning mouth/gums, my sister had that bad, but I don't know about swollen tongue and lips. That sounds more like an allergic reaction to something.

• Posted

Swollen lips dsnt sound good, sounds like an allergic reaction tbh, bt the burning sore mouth yes I had that a few times when I was peri
  • Posted

Are you taking any medication/antibiotics or anything? Sometimes people have allergic reactions to some medication, my sisters lips swelled up on a certain antibiotic course
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. Did anything help? Did anyone take estrogen or anything that helped this, and other dryness?

The constant has been dry mouth, and I suspect this causes the burning/swelling. Also, typically gets worse at night when I probably breathe through my mouth and am typically drier.

And from what I read, the dropping estrogen can cause dryness all over, not just vaginally. I also see it in my skin--suddenly crepy. But this new symptom really stinks!

• Posted

No I just went it alone, I can't HRT don't see the point because when the Dr takes you of it your periods come bk an you have to start all over again, happened to lots of my freinds 😕

• Posted

Depends how long you are on hrt for....they tried to take me off with very bad consequences, so apparently, I will be on it for the rest of my life. But at least I feel more or less normal now!
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes the dry, burning mouth is the drop in estrogen, but even when taking hrt, it seems to take quite a while to clear up. I used Propalis boiling, tried not to use a harsh toothpaste, get a "dry mouth wash" from Boots, and use Vicki around your nose at night so you can breath through your nose instead of your mouth. The obvious things like spicy, or too hot food only irritate it more, so again avoid these. The only bit I have left, is a slightly tender bit on the end of my tongue and if I speak too much my mouth dries out....difficult when I am a market researcher and have to talk a lot! Good luck, let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that HRT can reverse things when you get off it, though I guess I should have expected that. I have to talk for a living, too, so I'm not thrilled about this new development! How long did it last, for those of you that had it? Thanks.

• Posted

I cant remember exactly as I had all of the symptoms plus more because doctor prescribed different hrt,s after taking me off abruptly and my train hit the crash barrier with a huge bump! I would say probably around 9 months to a year. The length of time I had it and tried to find a remedy is how I know they work as it was trial and error. I still use the Vicki nightly as my mouth still gets dry if I mouth breath through the night, but I started using it because the inside of my nose had dried up to anxiety proportions. When everything begins to settle, it seems that we are left with residual worries, or fears or paranoia. My worst fear is night time and the dark as a result of insomnia and waiting for daylight to arrive after a long, lonely night with no sleep due to the andrenalin punches in my chest. Now I sleep well, but I don't like the night. Nuts or what? CBT therapy has been offered, but I,ll probably be dead by the time I get the appointment! I wouldn't worry about coming off hrt, you have a life to live now.....

• Posted

Hello. I get blisters in the roof of my mouth every couple of months. The whole area becomes inflamed. Makes it really hard to eat. Pretty miserable. I havent had swollen lips but I guess this thing effects each person differently. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing that, Kimberly, and sorry to hear. Yes, I've read that different areas of the mouth can become inflamed, depending on individual. 

I also noticed that I'm very fatigued today, too. 

Wondering if it's at all related to oral HSV...I was exposed to herpes a while ago, maybe it is cause? But then again, I do think it's the hormal changes (at least according to stuff I've read). 

• Posted

Those can be symptoms of candida and from I understand we are more prone to bacterial infections when we hit perimenopause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.