Burning, pain, itching, sting vagina

Posted , 11 users are following.

For the last 5 weeks I have been having these symptoms of burning , pain , itching, stinging in my vagina areas. Some symptoms come all at same time ,some separate sometimes just extreme itching that I have to itch which I am sure doesn't help the tissue as it severe scratching to relieve the itch. I also have this burning which feels like I am scalded, sometimes it feels like a icy hot treatment. I have no discharge but at times will go from feeling very dry to moist. sometimes feels like my labia is so dry and tight I wont be able to open them. I am 71 years old been menopausal for almost 40 years I went thru menopause in early forties, I no longer have sexual intercourse for over a year. I did not have vag exam as thought was yeast infection so had my GP call in script for Terconazole 0.8 3 day dose. well didn't seem to work still symptoms so repeated same about week and half later. Still no relieve so saw gynecologist and she did exam cultures didn't think yeast so treated as BV with metronidazole one week later still symptoms so called and was told this time yeast infection per culture and put back on terconazole. Well i am just finishing up and still have symptoms although itching not as persistent but burning is my labia feel on fire my vaginal opening feel on fire i am getting so depressed and worried this will be how it is from now on and I just cry. Anyone else going thru this and if so what helped

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Sandra!

You sound like I did a couple yrs ago. I have vaginal atrophy. I had all those same symptoms. My doc put me on a vaginal hormone cream and after a couple of months I got better, however its an ongoing issue that requires treatment. Until you can get back to your doc and discuss if this might be the problem, try using unrefined coconut oil, its a wonderful moisturizer plus its a natural antibacterial. Scrape a chunk out and smear it on your lady parts, you can even insert it, to do that keep it in the refrigerator so it doesn't melt as fast while applying it. There's other moisturizers out there too but they're expensive and I had no luck with them. But definitely call your doc and have a conversation with him or her about it, its miserable and doesn't go away..

Good Luck!

• Edited

Hi Gigi

I was checking the forum as I'm suffering with the same symptoms.

(Itching, burning, very moist/very dry and red sore skin)

Thank you for the advice about the coconut oil. I've been to the doctor and have been prescribed thrush treatment on two occasions and oestrogen pessaries on another occasion. I'm postmenopausal for three years and I had a hysteroscopy and a D&C in 2018 (because of bleeding). I noticed the symptoms started after that.

I hope to be able to see a doctor soon but it's quite difficult at the moment.

Thanks for your advice. Hope it gives me some relief.

Kind regards

Rita

• Edited

Hi Sandra ,

Sounds like you would benefit from some estriol cream. Will need a script for it but it can be applied inside at bedtime and outside as well. If its vaginal atrophy its harder to get under control the longer it goes untreated. It will be something you will have to maintain regularly because your body is not making those hormones as much that use to keep those lady parts healthy .

• Edited

Hi Ladies

sandra10116 I have been looking for a forum where this was discussed as I thought I was losing my mind.

I am 53, postmenopause for almost 3 years. Have ran the gammit with symptoms (nausea, hot flashes, aches, etc) but for the past month or so, I have had the worst burning (no itching) on the outside of my vagina/urethra area. It comes and goes in intensity. I am also peeing a lot. I have some at home unine tests and UTI test and my PH is sometimes elevated but nothing shows for UTI. I thought maybe it was a yeast infection and tried Monostat and HOLY HELL, I wanted to rip my vagina out as it made the burning 100 times worse.

Is this burning "a thing". It does not hurt when I pee either (actually stops the burning for a minute), not bloated or have any stomach issues.

Am I losing my mind as the first thing that runs through my parinoid mind is some type of "cancer"!

Does this sound familiar to any of you all?

• Edited

Leisa,

Yep, every single symptom.. My diagnosis came after 6 months of thinking I had yeast, uti and BV. I was treated with everything known to man by my GP, I finally insisted on getting a referral to my gynecologist. Mind you I had a hysterectomy in my early 30s (Im 52 now)but kept my ovaries so I had no idea aside from the occasional hot flash I was in meno. Anyway, come to find out its vaginal atrophy. It can cause dryness, itching, discharge, feeling of a UTI, pain during sex, frequent peeing, or the feeling of needing to pee and quite a bit more. My gyno explained that our bladders depend on estrogen and when we hit this stage sooner or later we start having symptoms of all the above I mentioned. I also have bladder prolapse, meaning it bulges into my vagina. I use a vaginal hormone cream ( Estrace)now and went to pelvic floor physical therapy. Im pretty much back to normal now. I cant take oral hormones, so we went this route bc very little gets absorbed in your blood stream and it delivers the hormone straight to the tissues. Do some research on vaginal atrophy and if any of it rings a bell then you should see your doc. IF its atrophy it doesn't get better on its own, it only gets worse.

Hope this helped a bit! Good Luck!

• Posted

hi everyone. i had been suffering for four months with what i think is VA. i tried everything. in the end i had to give in and use the hormone vaginal cream. after a few weeks it had completely vanished. i was so pleased. but, after two months it come back. not nearly as bad as it was, but back. feeling i need to wee, burning sensation, feels a bit swollen and dull ache. one day not too bad, seems to change daily. I have spoke to my GP many times on phone but wish I could go somewhere to talk it all through. i am not happy being on hormone cream but life is miserable living with the sensations. i purchased dilators as i read it was good to not just stop sex. i am a widow, therefore thought it wise to do so. but my gp didnt seem to think it a good idea. . . . i am at my wits end. . . i worry about the cancer side of hormone cream. its a no win situation. . . . any advice much appreciated. stay safe everyone.

• Posted

3es,

What type of cream are you using?

Delivered vaginally very little if any gets in your blood stream. I can't take oral hormones bc of a family history of breast cancer and I have had my own issues with uterine fibroids which caused me to have a hysterectomy. My doc gave me the ok to use as much or as little as I need.

I also went to pelvic floor physical therapy, they taught me the right way to do kegel exercises, I didn't realize there was a wrong way.. Google pelvic floor exercises they do help. But the key with the hormone is to use it on your schedule, VA never goes away. Its possible you may need more, or if you stopped it when you felt better then you're basically starting over. As far as the dilators I can't speak to them.. but maybe a "personal massager" would be better to keep the blood flowing.

It seems symptoms for me ebb and flow with my hormone levels, since i have no period to go by, i have no idea where im at in this process, but around the time i ovulate and used to have a cycle my symptoms flare up. Hope some of this helps! Hang in there!

• Edited

hi Gigi368 thank you so much for a reply. it is good to know i am not on my own . . . i just want to feel normal. yes, it is strange how every day is different. i amm 66 and not had a period for many years, but sometimes i have a slight ache that reminds me of when i was a day or so away from starting it. . standing is more comfortable than when sitting. i will defo google pelvic floor excercises. You have made me feel better already. not so worried. Take care x

• Posted

Gigi 368 i put that i was on 5 of the ovestin but it says 1mg cream. . . . not sure why i thought it was 5. age i suppose ha ha x

• Posted

Your first response is being moderated so I can't see it.

I use Estrace Cream, its estradiol which is a stronger hormone than what you're using. It also comes in a vaginal pill form called Vagifem. I liked the pill, you insert it and it clings to the vaginal wall, no mess and can be used anytime of the day, but it gave me leg cramps, my doc thinks it could be a filler they use in the pill.

When you use yours do you also use a little to smear around your outer lady bits? Especially around the urethra? If not that might help also. I started with a gram every night for 2 weeks, and smeared on the outside too, then 1 gram twice a week, after about 6 months, I went down to a half gram 2x a week, which is where I am now. But the end of the month when I should have a cycle my bladder acts up and I get the internal and external burning so I add a day to my dosage schedule. But definitely talk to your doc before adding more, I have no uterus, cervix or tubes, just the pesky ovaries so any risk factors there might be I don't have them. The coconut oil is a really good and safe addition in between dosages. I keep a jar in the fridge. If you have, say a suppository mould, you can melt it and pour it in the moulds and freeze it, it makes inserting it so much easier.

I hope you get relief soon! As if the other meno symptoms aren't bad enough, our bodies have to add this on top of it 🙁

• Edited

thank you so much for the tips. . . i am coming up to 6 months of the hormone cream. . . i was so happy when it went away for 2months. . . but, i have just checked and i have not been using the correct amount of VM . infact, only a 1/4 of what i should be. . . . . i am waiting on a phone call appointment with my Dr. I will be glad when i can see her and be examined and a good chat. . . . suppose it could be worse, if it was like it was when it first started i would of gone round the be d. . . at keast this is not too bad. . . will let you know in a few weeks how its going. ❤

• Posted

why is my first reply being moderated. . . . i dont remember saying something i shouldnt. . . is it because i named a product???

• Posted

i have the same thing and im 71 too. mine burns so bad when i pee im in tears. so i made me up some baking soda and some borax to sat in warm water . it burns the living hell out of you . but peeing burns you so i'm at least trying to cool one thing down.

• Posted

Brenda I am 73 and have had vaginal atrophy for a few years I use estriol cream but was changed to the smaller amount not so much cream but the estriol a bit stronger and it didn't help me much. Terrible burning when going to toilet. Next what has been happening is it gets much worse where I need the toilet time after time am up about 9 times during the night with a feeling like a UTI very sore. I have no bleeding or discharge at all just this horrible burning and pain and feel my bladder the same.

• Posted

i have the same thing and im 71 too. mine burns so bad when i pee im in tears. so i made me up some baking soda and some borax to sat in warm water . it burns the living hell out of you . but peeing burns you so i'm at least trying to cool one thing down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.