Burning sensation 3 months after ankle surgery

Posted , 24 users are following.

I broke my fibula in late November after falling down a flight of stairs. I had ankle surgery and now have a plate and seven screws. I've been weight-bearing for about 3 to 4 weeks and I've been doing a lot of physical therapy. However, I still have some severe burning/stinging on the inside of my ankle, which is the opposite side of where it was broken. It's gotten worse lately, which may be due to the PT and more use? I still have a lot of swelling (which I think is normal) and I also still have a lot of tightness, particularly around the Achilles. Anyone have any thoughts? 

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear ofvyour pain and struggles. What does your foot look like?  Is it tight looking and shiny?  Is it a different colour than your good foot?  I would go back to your Dr and ask him to look at your foot again. I did same late Nov and I'm not weight bearing yet. They diagnosed me with RSD or CRPS so that is why my foot has not moved forward, literally. It is stiff and not moving much. I'm in Physio and water therapy each day one or the other. Don't give up, you'll get there, but Physio should not make you worse no matter what they say. Good luck 👣
    • Posted

The coloring is not bad. It's a bit more red than my good foot, but both my doctor and PT say it's normal. The swelling is really bad, particularly later in the day, and I also lose a lot of the feeling in my toes at times (I think that has to do with swelling and circulation). I'm also a diabetic and so that will probably slow my recovery. I'm just hoping the burning/stinging is normal and that there's not something else wrong with my leg. The burning/stinging is much worse after PT and after I walk on it a lot.
    • Posted

Hello. It is normal to have weird senations of burning & twinges. Its also normal to have swelling both on and around your ankle. If you are not happy though, go and get your doctor to take a look. I broke my ankle and had surgery end of September and still limping due to the severe swelling which is worse at the end of my 10 hour work shift

• Posted

This forum is amazing and these folks are enduring their injuries -  we all have individual issues, some similar, some not. Be your own advocate, use your voice to tell them how you are progressing, the swelling is part of this injury. I try and put my foot up after having it down several times a day even for short stints. I never found ice good for me but massage and water is. I use Epson  salts in my bath water 1 cup.....never give up you are doing better than you think!  Take care and keep in 👣
    • Posted

It is called complex regional pain syndrome, basically the nervous system not firing right from the brain. It's not a good diagnosis for me but they caught it early, I'm hopeful but realize I'm in for the long haul. There are posting here on the forum under it, but don't concern yourself with it you most likely don't have it. It's one in 40000 people get it after a injury, break or surgery. I never heard of it but I know it now....thank God for Internet to give us info as some Doctirs don't even know about it. It used to go by RSD but they changed the name. I hope this helps....take care....👣
    • Posted

Hi Jannie,

Its me again, (smiles) could you please explain more about water therapy? I had my first session of physio on Friday, didn't do much because I was told first session mainly is for putting down all info needed, my ankle is so stiff and I was told I need a lot of work to get it going. I was given just the towel exercise and massage to start with so am wondering if there is anything more I can do while waiting for the next meeting as one whole week is a long wait.

• Posted

Good morning. I had to repeatedly ask for physio as I movement was getting more restricted. I dropped in at A&E and told them my concerns, was examined and an urgent referral for physio which took place a week later. I have been having 30 minutes physio a week since December but then that moved to every two weeks, now every three weeks. It simply isn't enough which prolongs recovery & returning to work & everyday tasks. I looked into paying for additional treatment privately, but at £30 for 30 minutes when you are not working & earning, then it's a no! It's frustrating as you can't improve without treatment but can afford to pay. I'm doing my exercises but still can't squat fully and the swelling is still present. I hope you respond to physio and recover quickly
    • Posted

Hi Paul

in Canada if a doctor refers you for physio after surgery  it is covered no charge to patient. Not sure about the UK. I also go in YouTube and there's lots of good physio exercises for ankle post surgery. I just keep moving the foot, wiggling, stretching on band and a tennis ball first thing in the morning, roll your foot gently for 60 counts. I hope it is getting better each and everyday. I got up in my walker yesterday first time and took 10 steps, on we go.....👣take good care, Jannie 

• Posted

Hi Abiigail

i go to a hydro bath every other day at our hospital. It is very large and tilts back, I get to stretch out and soak in salts and do my leg exercises and put my feet down and weight bear on them. Once I'm fully weight bearing we have hot springs 15 mins from home and I can start walking in the pools. If you don't have access get a foot bath or bucket put warm water and 1 cup Epson sales in the water. Soak and wiggle your toes as tolerated for 15 mins. Also I have massage on my feet and legs each day with coconut oil. My hubby does it for me, he's a gem. Plus all the usual exercises, but my foot has been locked up tight as a drum, I'm getting a little more movement each day. Wishing you well, take good care👣

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

Thanks so much for the response, I will start with the bucket as I haven't got a clue yet on the hospital hyro bath yet.

I will check amazon and order the Epson salt.

Thanks and I wish you full recovery at the shortest time

• Posted

You can get Epson salts at any pharmacy or Walmart has great prices. Get the biggest bag you can get also I get itching with the thin new skin and cut my aloe plant and softly apply daily it helps with the itching for me. Keep on 👣cheaper to buy a lant than the expense gel.....
    • Posted

Hi Jannie. In Uk the physio under NHS is free but is only 30 minutes, currently every three weeks.

If I want more treatment, I have to pay privately for this @£30 per 30 minutes.

I need to look on You tube for the exercises. 

I am doing the exercises that you mention first thing in the morning before work and when I return from work 10 hours later, then elasticated bandage and bed. Is a slow and laborious road to recovery which angers me somewhat. I'm pleased to read of your progress, small steps each day, that the key to recovery

• Posted

We're lucky here 2 a week 60 min long......I've found more on YouTube that have really helped. The tennis ball first thing in the morning is amazing. Before you begin try and touch your toes. Then roll 60 counts on each foot. Now try and touch your toes again, the difference is amazing. I'm going slow and steady but I'm with you Paul, someday soon I just want to forget about the whole thing....alas to no avail.....keep on let me know what you think.....take care

jannie 👣

• Posted

How are you dealing with CRPS and what were the symptoms? I think that I might have this, my ankle is stiff, painful, numb, burning, post surgery. How do they diagnose this,? 

Thank you so much 

• Posted

How did they diagnose this? I have similar problem and going to be evaluated 

what does it feel like? Thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.