Burning sensation 3 months after ankle surgery

Posted , 24 users are following.

I broke my fibula in late November after falling down a flight of stairs. I had ankle surgery and now have a plate and seven screws. I've been weight-bearing for about 3 to 4 weeks and I've been doing a lot of physical therapy. However, I still have some severe burning/stinging on the inside of my ankle, which is the opposite side of where it was broken. It's gotten worse lately, which may be due to the PT and more use? I still have a lot of swelling (which I think is normal) and I also still have a lot of tightness, particularly around the Achilles. Anyone have any thoughts? 

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's early days yet.  This is my second experience of break followed by plate and screws. it's going slower this time, probably due to the fact that my bones and I are 15 years older. Be assertive with the medical profession.  Ask questions. They sometimes assume you know why things are hurting or swelling.  I have not been offered Physio but find gentle regular massaging and walking are bringing progress.  all the best with your road to recovery

Some doctors also tend to treat just the injury rather than the 'Whole Person'

• Posted

I broke my ankle in Jan and I am still non weight bearing, but I have been experiencing a lot of pain, burning inside my ankle. I was told that it is nerve endings firing as they heal.

My main issue is that anytime I don't have my foot propped up it becomes very tight and extremely uncomfortable. I have read where people were up doing things around their house while using a wheel chair or crutches, if I am up for just a matter of minutes I am very uncomfortable and can't wait to prop it back up. Is this normal or is something wrong?

• Posted

Hi Leele I'm in the same boat but longer since Nov 27. I have a very stiff ankle/ heel with burning. I'm not weight bearing and in chair. I move around a lot with foot down but like elevating it regularity. Water helps it feel good with salts added. Have you been back to Dr. Are you in Physio?  What do they say besides nerves firing which I Think is true. Mine has developed what they call RSD and I'm working hard each day with Physio and care aid to get it moving so I can weight bear for walking. This has been more than a test of faith but I am hopeful - be patient but don't be afraid to ask questions. I did and I'm glad I did. I also have very good doctors so that's a Blessing. Take care and keep on your going get there. 👣
    • Posted

I am still in a cast, so soaking is out. What is RSD? I go back to the doctor week after next, guess I will start PT after that. Right now, just in limbo. I have a list of questions written down for my doctor.
    • Posted

What you are experiencing is normal as part of the healing process.

I had surgery at end of Sept and still get odd twinges and burning sensations, even in my heal which I didn't damage.

My ankle always feels tight even though I prop up my foot,bathe my feet in warm water , massage my foot & ankle with Aquarius cream twice a day.

It appears to go to sleep if I drive for 20 minutes or more resulting in me limping badly. I was totally reliant on my wheelchair and crutches, when I tried putting my foot down to pwb, the pain, pins and needles sensation made me resort back to my crutches for comfort and security. I decided that I would have to accept the sensations even though uncomfortable or have a longer journey to recovery. I am back at work, and driving unaided but I am still having 30 minutes physio every three weeks as I still can't squat fully and am not confident on uneven services or ramps yet, but this will come in time, I'm sure. 

• Posted

I had the same tingling problem but no burning. My foot was very stiff too. Dr told me to keep moving.I walked a lot. The stiffness gotthen better and tingling too. Still have swelling. It does take a long time yo heal. You wiil get better. Ice it down an elevate it at night.
  • Posted

Same break and plate and 7 screws. The sensations are part for the course. Massaging the area helps, I have been told that this could last a year or more. I also bought a TENS machine for relief as well. I am very active and after being released from pt I am now looking to have the hardware removed, to relieve the sensations, stiffness and increase my range of motion. Good luck, I hope this helped.
    • Posted

Thank you, all information helps. I can't massage yet, still in cast a cast.
    • Posted

Hi. I have read a couple of posts stating that they are looking to have hardware removed. What risk is involved? and surely removal would weaken the bone and prolong recovery again? I regret having my 3 screws and if possible would have them removed but am reluctant to go through this long journey to recovery again
    • Posted

Paul, I have seen these posts also. After going through all of this, I sure don't want to do it again.
    • Posted

once you are out of your cast start with e45 or similar cream to massage and moisturise as you will have lots of loose skin. I would encourage soaking your feet first in warm water before massaging with cream but this helps me.

I used a bag of frozen peas on the swelling for 5 minute intervals (as recommended by physio) bug this didn't help much. I use an elasticated bandage over my ankle around the house, it keeps the swelling to a minimum. Each person will respond differently to different methods, it a matter of trial and error till you find which suits you best.  Good luck

• Posted

I hate this plate and screws. They have served their purpose, the bone is healed and my ankle mortise is in perfect alignment. Since I have chicken legs the plate is rather prominent on teh sid eof my ankle. My boots irritate the skin, my hockey skates press on the plate causing more pain and the swelling on top of the playe never goes away. I will be off y feet for 6-8 weeks while the screw holes fill back in with bone. Then it back to my life. 

This is good article about hardware removal. 

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/pediatrics/news/print/orthopedics-today/%7Ba895698b-8f8d-4866-8068-6c3970fe68fd%7D/hardware-removal-is-always-more-difficult-than-expected-especially-in-children

• Posted

I think in the long term taking out my hardware will be better for my life style. My therapist even thinks its holding me back now. 
    • Posted

I am totally floored by this talk of having the hardwear removed.  I have had plate and screws in my right ankle for 15 years with no ill effects other than a vulnerability to knocks.  As there is very little flesh over the outer or inner side of the ankle, it has little natural protection anyway.  I had marginally less flexibility in right ankle and gave up tap dancing at that point.  I also limited walking so as not to cover very rough terrain on which I felt less stable.  Now I am recovering from breaking left ankle, I would not consider having hardwear removed.  As we get older, I am told, bones become more porous, particularlyin women,  and I have been put on a list for porosity scan.  if osteo porosis is identified I understand there is effective treatment.  I find that once I abandoned the air-boot in favour of thick sock and supportive shoes, much of the discomfort diminished.  Do you think you may be getting into your hockey skates a bit soon?  You do not say how long since you had your accident/Op.

Best of luck with the recovery

• Posted

Not at all. My ORIF procedure was Oct 9, 2015. Injury was Sept 25. I waited until I got the all clear from my ortho surgeon and my therapist. I have good strength and range of motion is a couple of degrees less than what I had before. I'm not willing to give up any part of my life because of a boo boo.
    • Posted

Thanks for the link to the article. I would be tempted to have the hardware removed but I don't want another couple of months plus and go through the torment and stresses as I have aleads done so
    • Posted

I have missed out on a lot since September, I can give up a few more weeks to be in a better position to be active with my kids in the long term.
    • Posted

I had my injury 18th Sept, surgery 29th Sept.

I agree that I have missed out on so much, my hobbies and work etc.

I think you are brave to undergo more surgery and another couple of months recovery. However in the long term your life will improve dramatically.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery

• Posted

also have some hardware in me Iris - a 30 year old plate in my collarbone, rods in a big toe, and a total knee replacement.   No problems.   It seem to me that these ankle screws seem to create a few more problems than most.   And there is quite a bit of information on the net where experts believe that leaving the hardware in can create problems, including increasing the risk of further breakage because of the rigidity of the metal, and increased risk of demineralisation (osteoporosis), and a risk of future tendon damage.   

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks. I need all the well wishes I can get. I pushed myself pretty hard in PT and I am still exercising, so I think my biggest wait will be waiting for the screw holes to fill back in with bone. I will contiue to do my ROM exercises and strength training. My brother call's me driven, I'm just too stubborn to be held back. Good luck with your injury, I'll keep you posted on how the removal goes. 
    • Posted

I had the hardware removed this past Tuesday. I'm back in splint and on crutches again. These things are like old friends anymore. I see my doc for a follow-up on monday. I'm not in nearly the same amount of pain as the first time around. A couple of Tylenol and I'm good to go. So far so good, a little bit of weight bearing and I plan on going back to work on Tuesday. I'll be relagated to a desk job for a few weeks, but I'll be back on street in no time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.