Burning sensation 3 months after ankle surgery

Posted , 24 users are following.

I broke my fibula in late November after falling down a flight of stairs. I had ankle surgery and now have a plate and seven screws. I've been weight-bearing for about 3 to 4 weeks and I've been doing a lot of physical therapy. However, I still have some severe burning/stinging on the inside of my ankle, which is the opposite side of where it was broken. It's gotten worse lately, which may be due to the PT and more use? I still have a lot of swelling (which I think is normal) and I also still have a lot of tightness, particularly around the Achilles. Anyone have any thoughts? 

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have a lot of pain on the inside of the ankle if anything is touching it.   When they put the full cast on I had to take lots of painkillers.  Now I have a boot and as long as I keep the side of the boot from touching the inside ankle, I have no pain.  
    • Posted

I suppose I am lucky and have not experienced lots of pain, taking only Paracetamol at bedtime as a precaution. I am reluctant to touch my ankle as it feels tender, also when at work walking on it for up to 10 hours, it feels like it's rubbing against my shoe. As soon as I'm home, i bathe it, massage it, exercises and elasticated bandage on it seems to relax it and bring down the swelling. I was told by physio that there will be the tender feeling on the ankle as there is not much room between ankle and skin. I suppose this has to be accepted
  • Posted

The burning I think seems to be normal for most of us as nerves got damaged. I'm curious to know what most people ( hi everyone) are doing for their burning pain and found any relief. Let us know your remedies and treatments specific to burning pain, take good care. 👣
  • Posted

The burning was a tiny bit better for a couple of days and now today it is simply unbearable- all up the inside part of my ankle and leg. What's strange is that this is the opposite side of where my break was. Although I've been putting weight on it, I haven't done any PT exercises other than some very little stretching. I just don't know what's caused the severity. It's raining in NYC today so could that be causing it to be so much worse? I think I may need an MRI to make sure there's nothing else going on because I can't imagine the burning should be this bad.
    • Posted

I have experienced several different sensations, you will have good days and bad days.

The weather does play a large part with regards to pain, especially the dampness and rain.I do exercises but not as much due to me returning to work.

I still massage my foot morning and night and bathe it.

I think my ankle is really selfish though, all this care and  it doesn't appreciate it, just gives me constant cars

• Posted

I get the same thing and it is horrible. If you manage to get any answers, please let me know.
    • Posted

just gives me constant discomfort and stiffness, not forgetting the limp
  • Posted

I still have swelling and tightness from my op end of Sept, it is normal and can take up to 12 months to reduce. I have odd twinges, burning and stinging sensations which I'm told is the nerves in the foot recovering

• Posted

Paul , you should work for doctors explaining to people what to expect. You do it so well. Thank you!
    • Posted

I am sharing my own experiences, and give any tips that I found useful.

If i can be of any help, then that's my aim, as doctors in the Uk have been absolutely useless to me. I thank you for your kind words leelee

• Posted

Paul, the doctor I have in the US is about the same. They said he was the beat trauma surgeon in the area, but he didn't explain anything about what to expect or what recovery would be like. I haven't seen him since my surgery, I only see his physicians asst.

I am so grateful that I found this group and for all your hand holding. Thank you.

• Posted

I'm also pleased that I found this group, it helped me in the darker days I was having knowing I wasn't alone. 
    • Posted

Same here Paul, and others, this forum has been amazing especially on the dark days which there are a few to say the least. This injury is so overlooked it's not even funny. If you aren't proactive, God help you. I've learned more here. Each day a push forward.....best to everyone no matter where you are in your recovery! 👣
    • Posted

I'm so pleased that we have all been able to get support, advice and comfort from this forum to enable us to get through this chapter in our lives.

I too, wish everyone a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.