Bursitis

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am 6 months post op of Left THR. I now have Bursitis in both hips. I have 1 leg 8 mm longer now and trying to find a lift that works. Anyone else with the same issue!!! I am now booked for cortisone shots next week.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi has your consultant sent you to podiatry for leg measurements to be taken, without that being done it could be that you are hiking your hip slightly because 0.315 of an inch is so little it could be that you always had that difference or that it's not enough to be really noticeable, I have an inch difference and have a lift from podiatry and it's fine although I am not walking unaided so not absolutely sure it is.

Try a Scholl insert and see if that helps in one shoe.

• Posted

Hi has your consultant sent you to podiatry for leg measurements to be taken, without that being done it could be that you are hiking your hip slightly because 0.315 of an inch is so little it could be that you always had that difference or that it's not enough to be really noticeable, I have an inch difference and have a lift from podiatry and it's fine although I am not walking unaided so not absolutely sure it is.

Try a well known insert and see if that helps in one shoe.

• Posted

Thank you for the info. I have had my leg measured and I have adapted a lift into my shoe which does not help. I have a small heel on the shoe for work but now been told to wear a flat shoe instead. My surgeon says I am 8 to 10 mm and chiropractor said 6 mm. I see my podiatrist next week and see what she measures. My surgeon showed me my xrays and I am not symmetrical at all. I will need the other hip done in a few years so he will balance me out then! In the meantime trying to deal with bursitis.
  • Posted

I am curious as to how you developed bursitis. I am now almost 9 months PO TLHR. I was told by my PT(4 mo. PO)that I had developed Bursitis . I think I over did it. I am still in pain. Ice is my best friend. I have been out of PT for for 4 months, and am trying to get back in to see if I can get relief. Good Luck...Keep us updated on your progress.

• Posted

My surgeon cannot explain it but i read it is common if one leg is longer than the other. I am frustrated as I have tried everything. Hopefully in injections help. I also have been using ice. Can't go back to work full time as I can't walk for too long. Very frustrating!

• Posted

Hi Shari....how did you know you had bursitis and what are symptoms? I am 6 months post thr and still have pain and limp. Still need cane. They think it's piriformis/sciatica, but I've wondered if it could be bursitis.....

• Posted

HI Linda,

I saw my Surgeon last week and he did an examination. He pressed into a particular spot on each hip and I almost hit the roof it hurt so much. He confirmed then that it was Bursitis. I limp also and feel it down the side of my legs. I get a burning feeling also! I was doing really well the first 3 months. I hope you get an answer but sounds like you may have the same issue as me.

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post op for a left THR. I too have a leg discrepancy. Surgeon said it’s 8mm but it feels more. My physio measured my feet and thinks it’s 4cms. I saw my surgeon today for a check up and he still thinks its about 8mm but only looked at my X-ray, he has given me a prescription for a 9mm lift in my shoe so I will see if it works as I have tried different things in my shoe but nothing feels right. Plus I get awful backache when walking.

What is Bursitus and what brings it on?

• Posted

I have the same issue, surgeon said there was not a problem, private physio said their was, and recommended a LONG-LEG-XRAY, confirmed the physios opinion, only problem is with this is you have to search out a clinic that does this particular x-ray as not all can do it.

I was confirmed as having 22 mm, but what became intesting, is that 10mm was natural in my lower leg, between knee and floor, and confirmed the surgeon had given me 12mm during surgery. 

All that needed to be changed with shoes is the 12mm that the surgeon gave me, as I had grown with the other 10mm and not even been aware of it.

Most of my heeled shoes are now adjusted 7mm on my right heel up, and 5mm down or shorter on my right heel, works for me, found myself an older shoemaker who has done lots of work for people with much more serious issues than I have, and this is the adjustment he had suggested, I no longer wear really high heels just not practical at my age, runners I have the full 12mm lift on right foot.

• Posted

Bursitis is inflammation of the Bursa which is located on each hip. It is a fluid filled sack. When it gets irritated it becomes very painful. Common after thr if leg length is different.
  • Posted

How is bursitis diagnosed? I'm ten months out from my left hip replacement. I still have hip and thigh pain. My newer hip is only about ten weeks out and I have no discomfort there. I'm back to using a hiking pole to take some weight off my left hip and that does seem to help. My surgeon had sent me for more PT, but it has not helped. Next is a nerve test and a bone scan

• Posted

There may be other opinions on here, but from what I know bursitis is diagnosed mostly on symptoms.
  • Posted

I am almost 4 months post op for a LTHR,at my 6 week checkup with surgeon I had small lumps in my varicose veins and leg was swollen and red,very painful. Not surgery leg but the right side. He was not concerned,said it was in superficial veins. When I went to family doctor she said it was bursitis. It was painful for about 10 -14 days. I took an anti inflammatory over the counter pill. The skin was warm to touch.

I took pics of everything and documented my journey in case the Our hip that has moderate osteoarthritis should need surgery. I don’t want to be as naive as I was this time.

i think after 6 week checkup,leg lifts are good for limp and little leg length difference.

Laying on non operated side and lifting operated leg up and holding. Do 5 or 10 ,3 times daily.It stretches and strengthens the damage cutting has done. Or I feel that works for me. I continue to do it still,usually only at bedtime now. As I like the leg to rest after doing them.

• Posted

Wow Faye! That looks painful! I was warned that if my Bursitis is warm to the touch that it may be Septic which means infection. You would never know looking at the area that anything is wrong. I am actually looking forward to my other hip being done as he said my legs will be the same length!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.