Bursitis

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am 6 months post op of Left THR. I now have Bursitis in both hips. I have 1 leg 8 mm longer now and trying to find a lift that works. Anyone else with the same issue!!! I am now booked for cortisone shots next week.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My left THR posterior was November 30 so we are in about the same place. Could not sleep on either side and had a slight limp after sitting for almost 5 months...bursitis for me too. Common after surgery I was told by surgeon. My pain is not bad, flares now and then. Was also offered cortisone shots but don't need them as yet. Have in both hips as well which is weird. Only difference is I do not have a length difference. Good luck with your shot !

• Posted

An abnormal or poorly placed bone or joint (such as length differences in your legs or arthritis in a joint) can put added stress on a bursa sac, causing bursitis. Stress or inflammation from other conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritisgoutpsoriatic arthritis, thyroid disorders, or unusual medication reactions may also increase a person's risk. In addition, an infection can occasionally lead to inflammation of a bursa.

Who Usually Gets Bursitis?

Bursitis is more common in adults, especially in those over 40 years of age.

What Parts of the Body Does Bursitis Affect?

Elbow

Shoulder

Hip

Knee

Achilles tendon

• Posted

I was butchered in left hip total replacement about a year ago. He left my leg about an inch too long very bruised, and I still can’t put any pressure on it. Today I am home from  rehab having my right hip replaced. This gentle doctor did not bruise and he was able to correct the leg differentiation. I was having the same trouble as you with shoes and lifts. Sorry to say I never came to a very good solution except to have my right hip replaced.
    • Posted

I am 6 weeks post op for THR. I have 1.5” leg difference although the surgeon insists it’s only about 8mm even though he hasn’t checked it. My physio, the pharmacist have both measured it and have agreed with me.  I am struggling with it and now feel more disabled than I was before. But the surgeon insists it will right itself in a few months but I don’t know how. But yours hadn’t . So maybe I will have this problem for good.
    • Posted

I thought they checked for leg discrepancy at the x-ray you have after your op, as it said on my discharge notes leg length equal. 
    • Posted

I live in France, things are very different here.  No mention of length discrepancy.   He told me in the hospital. Yesterday I wanted him to measure me but he only looked at the X-ray of my new hip. Which shows the new hip a lot higher than my other one. Where he got the 8 mm from I don’t know. I wish it was 8mm, I could cope with that. Anyway I am hoping he is right and it will balance out in time.
    • Posted

I do get the feeling once the surgeon has done the surgery that is it, they don’t want to know about problems afterwards! 
    • Posted

Totally agree. Become me your own advocate. Research your symptoms and put everything in a written format to your doctors. My experience was the same. Surgery is done, that’s it. 
  • Posted

Hi there. I hope I can help. My advice is to get a second opinion. Get a triple phase bone scan and a pelvic and hip MRI.   Also  ask if it is frictionally or if it is cemented. Additionally. Get to a rheumatologist  to be sure all is well with your bones and  RA factors. I had a THR in 2012 and it’s always been painful come to find out that it was frictionally retained and I have Osteoporosis and psoriatic arthritis. Having my hip revised soon with an excellent orthopedic Trauma surgeon that I found.   . After many doctors, much testing, and in accurate diagnosis I’ve learned that you have to be your own advocate meaning to investigate everything. Communicate with your doctors via a formatted symptoms and conditions letter. This has worked well for my and it also becomes a part of your file. Good luck to you and best regards. Hang in there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.