bursitis in incision from thr 3 years ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had two thr. Last one 3 years ago. In this second one I've had nothing but problems with bursitis.  I can hardly walk most days and am so fed up with this. I saw surgeon again last week and asked if he could replace the one he'd put in. He said it would kill me ! Now I'm wondering why he said that ? Any ideas, anyone ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Emma. If I were you, I'd go for a second opinion to a different hip replacement surgeon, one who is experienced in doing revisions. Many people have had the hardware of a THR replaced, but it is always because there is something wrong with the hardware or the placement of it. A revision would never be done for bursitis only. You need a proper diagnosis of exactly what is wrong with your leg/thigh/hip before any treatment can be done. Have you had x-rays, MRI, possibly diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound?

I would also suggest that you enter your post on the Hip Replacement Forum, since you will probably get a number of replies there. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/hip-replacement-1109

Good luck getting this dealt with. It must be horrible having such difficulty walking all that time since your second THR.

• Posted

Thank you Annie for your reply. I've had numerous injections but they only last so long. The surgeon has finally sent me for a bone scan. The results of which I will get on the 20th September. It's like pulling teeth convincing this surgeon there's something amiss. He always says it's not the hip! Frustratingood but if this persists much longer I will ask for a second opinion.

• Posted

It is quite possible that there is nothing wrong with the hip replacement hardware or its placement, and x-rays would show that. More likely it is some kind of soft tissue injury/injuries, which would seem to be what the physician believes, since you have received cortisone injections, which are for soft tissue problems.

If you do go for a second opinion, try to make sure it is with a surgeon who is not associated in any way with your original surgeon.

Soft tissue problems are common after THR. As an example, I had problems after my THR, could not put weight on the surgical leg without it collapsing and had pain in my buttocks. This continued for many months post-op, and my original surgeon kept on thinking it was muscle weakness. It wasn't! I went for a second opinion in a different practice and had MRI, bone scan and blood work. That surgeon diagnosed two torn gluteal tendons in the surgical leg that needed surgery for repair. I had the surgery ten months ago and things are much better, but I don't think I will ever be 100%.

Your disability has lasted a very long time, and you deserve an accurate diagnosis and treatment!

• Posted

Thank you Annie. Are you in the UK or US ? I will most certainly ask for a second opinion if nothing is resolved this time around !
    • Posted

I am in the U.S., in a suburb of Chicago. Wishing you all the best in your quest for full recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.