Burst Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone! I am hoping someone will have been in this situation and will be able to offer some advice. I am 24, went to GP with pain in lower right abdomen, nausea, stomach cramps and diahorrea 6 days ago, suspected appendicitis, told if pain remained call again and would be admitted to hospital. Day later, I had to be admitted as pain was dreadful. Was kept on a surgical ward for 2 days, talk of a laporoscopy (camera) or ultrasound to see whats going on. I had a raised temperature and the pain had radiated to my back. However, after a day and a half of being on a fluid drip, I suddenly felt better. The consultant thinks it was an ovarian cyst that had burst and discharged me 2 days ago. Without any investigations being performed to confirm. I am now sat at home, a little discomfort has come back and I have no advice leaflet, had no ultrasound, and do not know if I have them on my other ovary. What do you guys think I should do? Do I return to my GP and ask for an ultrasound to confirm if ovarian cyst/ what type/ any action needed? Or is it just a case of as they think its a burst ovarian cyst, I have to assume it has healed and wait for recovery? Also, how long do most people find it took them to feel back to 'FULL' health? Would appreciate any help and advice you can provide as most websites just talk about cancer and ovary removal and people who knew they had a cyst and were informed of what would happen to them! Thanks, smile

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi im new to this but im starting to get quite concerned I was admitted to hospital 2day ago with suspected appendicitis I was then examined by a doctor who took blood urine and done my obs and a physical examination on which he said he thought my ovarian cysts has burst causing the severe pain I was in he then proceeded to discharge me with no scan etc two days on and im no better shaking feverish and pain is creeping back but I really dont want to attend at night as scanning room is always closed and I have two childern would I be best seeing my own gp and seeing if she could get me emergency scanned to put my mind at rest and get to the bottom of this I qould appreciate any feed back thanks
    • Posted

Hi Melissa!

I've had a very similar experience...as you have seen from my thread. Unfortunately, and its almost common place, if your cyst isn't causing an obstruction/very large/twisted then it is common place for the medical staff to discharge you with just painkillers and/or antibiotics. neutral If you are still concernec though, go back to your GP, and ask if she can refer you for a pelvic ultrasound just to confirm there is no free fluid and that the cyst is actually being reabsorbed naturally into the body. Let me try and put your mind at ease, I was admitted query appendicitis in Oct '14, had bloods done, urine dips and obs just as you did. All clear. Eventually I had a CT scan done (as I had a history of cysts) which confirmed I had a rather large one that was 5-6cm in size on my right ovary. surprised Now, I thought this would require surgery to remove it because of its size.....I was wrong! The gynae team dishcarged me with painkillers and antibiotics to take and told the body would just reabsorb it naturally. It took me 2 FULL weeks of bed rest after that episode before a felt human again! sad So it is likely you'll be feeling unwell for sometime. However, if you are genuinely concerned, you can go back to your GP and ask to be referred for a pelvic ultrasound which will check whether there is free fluid anywhere (caused by a cyst bursting) or whether it has actually shrunk/disappeared already. Just be warned, as its not considered an emergency (as the hospital had no concerns upon discharging you) you may have to wait the usual 6-8 weeks for the appointment. mad If you are really suffering with the pain though, head to A and E, explain previous admission and hopefully you'll get somewhere.

Don't be disheartened though, Cysts are very, very common in women and are the most likely cause of hospital admissions with abdo pain, so you are not alone in this! Just look at my thread and past posts to see how many young women are affected by it. neutral 

I hope you have some success in either recovering at home without further medical intervention or that if you need further medical assistance that it is a bit more forthcoming with diagnosis and treatment for you. Keep me posted! biggrin

All the best,

Trickey xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.