Burst Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone! I am hoping someone will have been in this situation and will be able to offer some advice. I am 24, went to GP with pain in lower right abdomen, nausea, stomach cramps and diahorrea 6 days ago, suspected appendicitis, told if pain remained call again and would be admitted to hospital. Day later, I had to be admitted as pain was dreadful. Was kept on a surgical ward for 2 days, talk of a laporoscopy (camera) or ultrasound to see whats going on. I had a raised temperature and the pain had radiated to my back. However, after a day and a half of being on a fluid drip, I suddenly felt better. The consultant thinks it was an ovarian cyst that had burst and discharged me 2 days ago. Without any investigations being performed to confirm. I am now sat at home, a little discomfort has come back and I have no advice leaflet, had no ultrasound, and do not know if I have them on my other ovary. What do you guys think I should do? Do I return to my GP and ask for an ultrasound to confirm if ovarian cyst/ what type/ any action needed? Or is it just a case of as they think its a burst ovarian cyst, I have to assume it has healed and wait for recovery? Also, how long do most people find it took them to feel back to 'FULL' health? Would appreciate any help and advice you can provide as most websites just talk about cancer and ovary removal and people who knew they had a cyst and were informed of what would happen to them! Thanks, smile

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Theresa!

Thats fantastic news, I'm glad the results came back ok. Lets hope both your daughter and I are back to normal health for a while now! smile

All the best,

Vicky xx

• Posted

Thanks Vicky hope all goes well for you to.

Take care x x

• Posted

Hi I would definitely ask for a second opinion at least if nothing is wrong a I pray it is not then you will have peace at mind.
  • Posted

Hi I would definitely ask for a second opinion at least if nothing is wrong a I pray it is not then you will have peace at mind.
  • Posted

Hi, My daughter woke up this morning with excruciating pain in the lower right side of her abdomen

I took her to Cheltenham hospital. The doctor thought it might be appendicitis but said it might be burst

cyst on her ovary as the pain came on so suddenly.

She had a scan at 2pm this afternoon and was admitted to a ward. She was only allowed water to drink

in case an op was needed and had a drip put up.

It was 10pm before a doctor confirmed that the scan definitely showed a ruptured cyst. She is being kept in hospital tonight for observation but hopefully won't need surgery tomorrow as the pain is subsiding

naturally.

Top marks to Cheltenham hospital .......................after reading some of your comments, I think she's had brilliant care, even if it was 8 hours after her scan before she was told the results. At least it was done

and confirmed in the same day.

From reading your comments, it is often similar to appendicitis and you definitely need a scan to confirm.

• Posted

Hiya all. One year on and the scar has almost disappeared feeling great. So glad your daughter was taken care of and everything is fine. There are good doctors and nurses out there thank god but in my experience not enough and obvious flaws in the system. Lucky your daughter needed a scan on a weekday because the scanner in my local hospital is closed on weekends and after 5pm. Every Monday there is a backlog of patients waiting from the weekend and my twisted ovary wasn't seen as urgent. Luckily my mother was there because I was too weak to question anything.
  • Posted

Hi Jade, Thanks for your reply - I'm very pleased that your scar line is so good and disappearing and that you feel good now.

I hope the treatments are improving and care is getting better - you had an awful time.

Fortunately, my daughter is better now - she is waiting for a gynae appointment but the cyst seems to have burst and resolved spontaneously. She has her graduation ceremony on Thursday so I'm glad she'll be well for it!!

All the best,

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi wendy170! I'm pleased to hear your daughter got her scan at Cheltenham General almost immediately as I did not! And as CGH is my local hospital, just goes to show you how one person at the same hospital can be treated entirely differently to the next!! However, I have a cousin who is a nurse, my brother is a trainee paramedic and my father is an ex-paramedic and paramedic training officer so I do know there are absolute angels out there that work for our NHS service, and I have experienced it several times over the last few months as my grandfather has breast and stomach cancer and my father is awaiting a diagnosis for lung cancer. Both have been treated perfectly and have had full advice and support from the NHS. And I have seen more hospitals over the last decade or so with my fathers health, and one particularly eye opening experience of Intensive Care at 17 after he had a motorcycle accident, that I have faith that out there somewhere are people who genuinely care and want to help. My advice to anyone is to get a 2nd/3rd/4th opinion if you genuinely think the diagnosis is wrong.

Thankfully, I am all clear. I had a flare up of pain and abdominal swelling a few months back though and went straight to my GP, who did a pregnancy test (negative), and then put in a request for an ultrasound to check up on things. I waited maybe 2-3 weeks for the appointment, and all was clear with no sign of cysts on either ovary. :D And the symptoms just sorted themselves out. GP seems to think it could have been a small urine infection.

I hope all you ladies are well and everyone is recovering.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Trickey x

• Posted

Hi all, don't know if anyone still read these, but For the past 7 months I have had some of the same symptoms, I have had a pain in my lower right abdomen, and I have it everyday, without fail. Blood tests came back clear, ultrasound was also clear these tests were done after being in hospital then discharged and then back in the next day, still the doctors have no idea, keep telling me to take pain relief, I have been up early hours being sick, I feel sick everyday, very tired, no energy. The pain is bareable but does get a lot worse at least once a day. I'm at a loss, don't know what else to do. sad
    • Posted

Hi Danielle!

I'm really sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, and that you've been given the run around by your doctors. I, and many other women, can identify with you and everything you have described. 

I have endometriosis and have experienced all of the things you are describing because of it; dull pain, aches, cramps, sharp pain, lethargy, nausea. I have had clear blood tests and clear ultrasound scans. I have had doctors say there is nothing they can do and recommend that I take painkillers

If your pain is related to an ovarian cyst or endometriosis there are a number of things you can do to help until you have the chance to see a good gynaecologist. Firstly, don't give up or second-guess yourself. You know your body and what you are feeling and the best thing that you can do is keep a record of what you feel, when you feel it. There are a couple of good apps that can help with this. That way, when a doctor asks, you can tell them exactly what been happening. 

Secondly, be careful with your diet. There are a number of foods that can make a very real difference to how you feel for better or worse. Generally speaking soy, refined sugar and alcohol will aggravate any cysts or growths because of how they are metabolised. Leafy green veges, fruits and nuts will help you because of how they're metabolised. 

Third, there are some natural supplements that will help you and give you a break from your painkillers. Magnesium is a great pain reliever and will help you sleep. Vitamin C helps your body produce progesterone which will help balance your oestrogen levels and ease your anxiety and also help you sleep. B vitamins will help anxiety and boost your liver function to deal will excess hormones that will make any cysts or growths flare up. 

There is a lot of good information on the web, keep reading and seeking the help you need. You'll get there. 

Best wishes and prayers for your health and happiness, 

Lauren. 

• Posted

Hi Everyone

on the 26/3/2015, My daughter bent to pick something up and she got a severe pan on ower left side of abdomen she could not move and the pain was flanked on to right side and she culd not even mve her eg and was crying caled ambulance asked to ake pandol and see how she goes, but she was in so much pain that I took her to ER she had to wak really slowly crying all he way as she moved tothe car, she also vomited 2 times but it was just liquid and frothy as she had only a loctose free diet drink as she has IBS, bloating,  gassy and pains when she has milk even though test did not sow she had intolerance,  Drs did blood test said her LFT AST was 40 and Alt was 50 Urine est wasrd had moderate blood in urine, CRP/Lipase/FBC normal and other   liver test normal,  she has been diagnosed with patchy liver calcificaiton, in 2012 by abdominal CT as she started having bloating , gassy  etc in 2010 her ultrasound was norma. . 

Went two days later to see GP for results as mentioned by ER, but the ultrasound result was not at the GP's . At the ER they gave me nurofen tablets, and as my pressure was 90/55 HR 55 they gave me saline and i felt better, as the pains vanished about an hour later, I only had a limp as the pain went through my left leg but by the next day my leg pain was gone, The GP said t could be my cysts, no reports thoug but just through the symptoms, did any of you take nurofen and have that heled you feel better with the .  Dd any of you have the pain radiate to your leg do you thingk that if it was a cyst and it ruptured they would be able to identify it a day later after the pain was all gone. I am 24 yrs old,

• Posted

Sorry my daughter is ony 24 years old

Thanks for your time God Bless yu all

hg

• Posted

Hi h_g, sorry to hear about your daughter. I was 24 when I had my first "burst cyst" back in 2012. I had very similar pains to your daughter that started after physical exertion, right side of abdomen travelling to left side of abdomen, admitted by GP to hospital query Appendicitis. Several blood and urine tests done (no ultrasound or other major tests) and I was discharged after two days query burst ovarian cyst (they never actually looked to see if I had one via ultrasound etc, I had that done 6 weeks later on referral from GP - it was clear!). I had another trip to the hospital in Oct/Nov last year with exactly the same pain again and this time had a CT scan done almost immediately which showed a cyst 5-6cm in size on my right ovary. :O I was given paracetamol, ibuprofen, codeine, saline drips and antibiotics and was released a few days after being admitted again, still feeling rough but in less pain, it took 2 weeks before I properly felt like myself again! sad However, I had a further attack of this pain in February, went to GP, was taken to hospital via ambulance from the GP surgery query UTI/Appendicitis/Cyst. Spent 3 days in hospital hooked up to drips and being monitored and had tests done to query a cyst....which all came back clear. However, after being discharged I was back in hospital 2 days later in even more pain, and this time was seen by a Gastro and Colon Consultant. My urine dips had always come back positive for leucocytes but my bloods were fine so after ruling out appendix/gall bladder/ovaries/all abdo based problems with all manner of tests....the only other option was my intestines and colon. He seems to think I may have a condition called Vasculitis and I am now awaiting futher endoscopy tests to confirm/disprove this. I only ever had pain down into my groin, never down my leg though. rolleyes As your daughter already has issues with IBS, I would say it could either have been a significant flare up of the condition hence feeling better after pain killers such as Nurofen (which is often given as it helps ease inflammation and I have been treated with it myself over the years for this type of pain), or she did have a cyst and the pressure of it on her intestines/bowel/colon made her feel ten times worse than normal. A hospital consultant would be able to detect what they call "free fluid" around your ovaries and abdominal area even a week after a burst cyst, if that is indeed what you had. However, in some cases of cysts, the body just absorbs it back naturally and no fluid would be present. (cysts are more common than you think, you get them almost all the time and its only the odd one or two that can cause a problem unless you have a condition such as Polycystic Ovaries). The only other thing I can think of that may have been a possibilty, as you say your daughter was bending over immediately before the pain hit, is that she either had a hernia or just simply pulled some muscles (which can cause an awful lot of pain and vomiting in some cases). My advice to you would be if you are still concerned, go back to your GP or call the Consultants Registrar that you were under at hospital and ask them your fears/questions. If I hadn't returned to hospital 2 days after being admitted in Feb (after the consultant told me if pain returns come back to hospital immediately) I would still be under the impression that it was something to do with an ovarian cyst, when actually its something that if not caught in time, can have a dreadful outcome, which I don't like to think about. rolleyes And as your daughter is in her early 20s with her future ahead of her, just as I am in my late 20s now and looking to start a family, you and her will want to know what this is and if it will impact her in any way. Return to your GP, get some further advice and maybe even speak to your daughters IBS consultant. Unfortunately, sometimes they just sweep it under the rug as they can't pinpoint whats wrong, but don't stand for it! Keep pushing, for further tests or to get another opinion from a Gastro/Colorectal consultant (if you don't already have one). If you don't see the right people, you'll never get the right answers. Trust me, it took 10 years and a change of GP to see a Rheumatologist and get diagnosed with my rare medical condition!! >sad I hope I have been of some help to you.  If you have any other questions, feel free to post on here and I will check back regularly. Hope this helps! smile Take care x
  • Posted

Hey all!! Just a quick update! I had yet another hospital stay last week with the same pain again!! cry (it's becoming an all too regular occurence for me!!) After my stay in Feb I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy which all came back clear, so the Doctors were even more confused this time as I've pretty much had every test available, done to me already with clear results!! frown They STILL/NOW think it may be related to my autoimune disease Behcets Syndrome, and are looking at a condition called Vasculitis with/without ulceration of the digestive system!! sad I now have to have a capsule camera endoscopy on Monday to see if that can pinpoint what the hell is going on, but if that comes back clear I don't know what will happen!! (I'm still in pain btw!!) cry One rather funny Male Nurse at CGH did explain to me, when I was having a particularly depressed day in the ward this stay, that they are looking for a needle in a haystack! First they need to find the haystack, then they need to find the needle!! lol And in my positively frustrated, thoroughly depressed mood, that actually put things into perspective for me!! There are SOOOOOOooooo many things in the abdominal region that can cause issues for women, let alone my existing medical condition, that no wonder they are struggling to diagnose what is wrong!! eek I will check in again as soon as I have the results of this capsule camera procedure, hopefully with a diagnosis and treatment plan in place!! rolleyes

Take care everyone!!

Trickey xx

• Posted

Hiya All!! It's been a while so I thought I'd do an update! cheesygrin

I have been back and fore to the hospital almost every other month since 2012 with the same pain in my lower right side of my abdomen!! I have had pretty much every test and examination you can imagine, from an ultrasound to a capsule endoscopy,and everything in between...And STILL they cannot diagnose me!!! frown I have seen gynaecologists, rheumatologists, gastroenterologists, general surgeons and colorectal surgeons plus all of their team members and yet no one can decide what it is or how to treat it!! cry It gets me very depressed and i'm highly frustrated, but I feel I just have to keep pushing onwards to get to my diagnosis eventually!! I even joked with the various teams that the only things left to do are a laproscopy or a brain scan!! Lol! /sigh sad Anyway, my capsule endoscopy results should be back in a few weeks time so if I get some answers from it, I'll post on here.

I hope everyone on here who has posted about their symptoms, has now had their issue resolved and are feeling on top of the world! cool

To all those who are still suffering, I feel your pain, but keep smiling and keep on at the medical staff!! We'll get there eventually!! cheesygrin

Take care,

Trickey xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.