BuTrans Patches - side effects - thinking of stopping taking them

Posted , 43 users are following.

I've been on BuTrans patches for 12 months for pain relief for my hip.  I should have had a hip replacement on 30 July 2014 but had 4th heart attack on 16 July 2014 so obviously the operation was cancelled. (I fractured my hip 28 years ago in a horse riding accident and have managed without a replacement op till now - pain was really bad last year) I have been in hospital for the last week and was discharged yesterday -  I have lost almost 2st in weight over the last 12 months.  I am nauseous all the time have no appetite, I'm shakey and weak and dizzy.  I've been trying to carry on and get on with life but have had chest pains which is angina caused by the fact that I am so weak I'm forcing myself to get up and eat etc and my heart is struggling.  Hospital can't find out what is wrong with me - they have tried all sorts of tests including a body scan and more or less told me to get on with it - I have rehad Social worker calling daily to help me. Medication I'm on for my heart is Ivabradine to slow my heart down and Isosorbide to open my arteries, Clopideral and asprin to thin my blood and Ezetmebe instead of a statin.  Hopsital say heart medication should not give me the symptoms I'm getting so only other thing can be the patches.  Has anyone else had similar symptoms.  What will happen if I stop using the patches - I'm desparate I will try anything I hate feeling so ill I just want to have some fun.  I'm a young 68 and belong to loads of clubs and social activities - hospital want me to take anti-depressants but I'm not depressed and also concerned if I put more chemicals (tablets) in my systom, my body has also to get used to them too!  Feedback would be very gratefully received.  Thanks - Eunice

2 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Eunice-very sorry to hear of your suffering with your health! My experience with Butrans is that my docs did not like it, but no one wanted to own helping me get off..I have multiple autoimmune illnesses that cause pain.

There apparently is no standard Protocol for weaning off butrans-at least of studies that look at impacts, from what I have seen. But, there is a warning that butrans can cause Addison's disease (Adrenal insufficiency.) This can cause a range of issues because it messes with your hormones. it can impact blood pressure, cause muscle weakness, etc. Hopefully your doctors were checking your hormones, especially cortisol levels.

Like responder Katie, i quit butrans cold turkey. Like Katie I also discovered i was experiencing every side effect of the patch. When I stopped, certain bad pain went away, and my constitution felt better.

Be careful with Butrans. It it can cause a lot of issues. Doctor supervision is a must. Lesson learned to talk to prescribing opiate Doc about side effects, compliance, and implications if you want to quit the opioid.This will save you physical and emotional distress down the road.

Hoping all worked out for the best!

• Posted

Hi Eunice I have the same symptoms as yourself I use patches 10micrograms for my back and knees 's all of a sudden I've feel sick dizzy fast heart beats I think it's the patches because I've never been like this before I was given anti sickness tablets but they made it worse, I have took my patch off its easier to Ho through the pain barrier with Anidin Extra

• Posted

I have spent the last couple of hours reading most of what has been written on this thread and my heartfelt sympathies go out to all of you who have suffered withdrawal symptoms from using morphine patches.  I am an ex benzodiazepine victim.  I spent 12 months on the highest doses of two different types and am partially disabled and mentally and emotionally scarred because of these prescription drugs.  I went through 6 months of pure hell 10 years ago during the withdrawal and rehabilition period. 

I now have a back condition which gives me considerable discomfort and my current doctor prescribed Butrans patches to relieve the discomfort.  This was last Christmas.  I started on 5 mg and the dose was increased to 10 mg around May of this year.  I admit that I have rather stuck my own head into this noose by accepting the prescription and the reality is that the noose is yet again tightening.  The last two months has become a roller coaster ride ricocheting from being on top of everything to living through a semi permanent anxiety attack.

I have recently hit a rather unfortunate financial crisis, not insoluble but worrying nonetheless and as a result have become extremely anxious, a feeling which I believe is being dramatically enhanced by the long term effects of the opiate.  It is always hard to tell if the drug is causing the problem or is simply exacerbating existing feelings of anxiety.  Having been through the pit of suicidal feelings before and withdrawal from the, now old fashioned, benzodiazepine anti depressants it is, in my view, imperative that I get off the patches even though I know that I will have to face up to the issues surrounding withdrawal. Fortunately my doctor is sympathetic and has prescribed a batch of 5 mg patches to start the climb down.  

I know that whatever problems one has to face in life they are better faced when one has a clear head and a positive approach rather than living the day with a tummy full of collywobbles, a loss of appetite and severe constipation so I have made a pledge to myself to be rid of the patches by Christmas and to put myself in a position where I can face whatever the remainder of my life holds in store for me.  I would prefer to suffer the discomfort of the back condition rather than feeling that my world is collapsing around my ears.

Many of the comments on this thread were written over a year ago and many of you will now have recovered from the effects of withdrawal.  It would be good to hear from those who kicked the patches so that I can judge the best way to deal with the next two months of reduction and withdrawal.

I hope this post reaches a few of you and that you are prepared to share your experiences with me   ~   Clive

• Posted

I just never put the patch back on and it sucked ..I was on the 20mcg patch, since then I feel so awesome...I was on the patch long enough to feel horrible 8 months or something. I still have two patches left in my box and I'll never take that crap again. It's the longest withdrawal symptoms ever. I'm just starting to feel normal again and I love it . I don't suggest that you follow my cold turkey way. I don't work so I was able to cater to myself and focus on hope. I pray you find a way out of that vampire of a drug Clive, it's important we show you hope and some light at the end. Talk with your doctor as well about your path.

• Posted

Thanks Cass, I am just starting the withdrawal process. I put a 10 mg patch on 11 days ago and let it go past the best by date by 3 days. I took the patch off last night and spent my first night patch free. I had some minor muscle cramps in the night and my legs felt as though they were buzzing all night. I don't know what the next few days or even weeks will bring but as long as things don't get much worse than last night I may be onto a winner. Anxiety is still present but we'll have to see if it fades away with the after effects of the drug. Thanks again for your help ~ Clive

• Posted

Be careful , I wish the best for you , the withdrawal symptoms lasted over a month for me , nausea , indigestion ,...

It can be done , and a couple months later I'm actually clear headed and my balance is way better as well.

• Posted

I'm 2 weeks into withdrawal now and it hasn't been pleasant but the shivers and shakes, violent pins and needles and tremours through my muscles is easing. I never thought that having the runs would be a luxury but after a year of painful constipation I can assure you it is. Some pain is returning and I have absolutely no energy. The only way is forward now and there is no chance of ever returning to the patches. I may have swapped a crutch for a walking stick but better the pain than the constant suicidal feelings and massive depression. I just need to get used to being a human being again, I will pick up on this again after Christmas to look at losses and gains over two months. Kindest regards to everyone ~ Clive

• Posted

hi Clive, I came off the patches over a year ago and was doing well. I then hit a time when I could not cope with the pain and the doctor put me back on 10mg patches. On holiday in Spain during October I decided to go cold turkey and come off them again. I feel so much better although the first three weeks were awful with withdrawel symptoms. 
    • Posted

Great job , the Diareah is still happening for me 50% of the time ... but ...I feel wonderful and soon you will as well ..I never tried pepto because I knew it was that horrible drug but I also could've caused me some stomach or bowl problem but It's better than where I was headed I think!

• Posted

Hi there not sure if ur still using this forum but thought I'd respond to u, I am 32 and have been in terrible pain with both my knees for 4 years now and was a dancer but now no mobility I too am on butrans patches 20 + 5 mg a week and I too have lost 2 stone in 3 months which I'm very happy about as I was so fit and slim before I became disabled and put 3 stone on, I have lack of appetite and nausea everyday, I'm also on Amitriptyline to help me sleep and that's making my hair fall out so much, I'm very very down and I have a lovely daughter who is 6 years old and I just wish I could do all the things with her that I used to do but she doesn't remember as was 2 when this started, I believe it's the butrans patches that make me feel sick and dizzy all the time, it's so bad that I can't even use my mobility scooter or get my daughter to and from school, it's hell! X

• Posted

I am not sure that I know what to say to you Chantelle, I went through the hell of benzodiazepine adiction 11 years ago and it took me 2 years to get back to normal after 9 months of suicidal feelings. This time it hasn't been so difficult and I am very confident I will make it through without too much discomfort. You are so young with so much of your life ahead of you. The problem here is that you don't really know the extent to which the morphine is affecting you and how much the risidual pain is still dragging you down. One idea that springs to mind is that maybe you could find a pain clinic. There are around 300 in the country many of them supported by the NHS. These people are skilled in your area and they may well have a great deal of valuable advice about both the pain issues and the drug issues. You need to have something to look forward to and the truth is a very good place to start with pain management. I wish you well Chantelle, I believe that you need to find some support, you seem to be all alone with these issues. Kindest regards ~ Clive .

• Posted

hi my name is larry i wasnt on these patches but my wife was,she was on them for about 2 yrs,she had 4 discs fused,but it was a failure,the pain she was in was unbearable,she started to get down well she was on them and had heart pulpatations and her breathing was affected,so her doctor weaned her of them.im writing to say more about the damage they done to her mind.we have 4 children and 2 grandchildren my son and daughter looked after her while i worked .i looked after her at night or weekends .we were married for 29 yrs she was my best friend my soul mate.when she was coming of the patch it was hard i decided to take some time off work to be with her,she was getting happier every day she was getting back to herself,she was still in pain but she was happy seeing the grandkids and life was better at home.i went back to work as people need to pay bills and live,after a couple of weeks i noticed the difference she wanted me to take days of work here and there ,then she seemed more happier when i was at home.my children told me a few times how down she got but i didnt notice.one day while i was at work i got a call to come home,my wife had overdosed on strong pills and passed away,she left a note saying why,now ive lost a wife a mother a grandmother and most of all a friend.now i blame myself for not being there for her when she needed me,the paranoia and lonelyness got to much for her,my family are devastated i am now at home alone not working and living day to day because of butrans and my selfish self i have no wife and no  friend,happiness comes first my wife was denied that,no one knows how hard it is to come off them patches there mind needs looking after,please look after yourself and please be there for your loved one ,i kissed her goodbye at 7 in the morning by 2 she was gone.i miss her with all my heart,the best cure for coming off them is happiness i can guarentee stay strong and be happy you will beat this with the help from a true friend.
    • Posted

Sorry for your loss larry. Withdrawal etc definitely will have a huge effect on mental wellbeing. I have been down in the dumps myself when going through withdrawal in the past but managed to drag myself out of it eventually. 2 young kids took my mind off it. I am using thenpatches now and it seems more consistant for me rather than having the highs and lows of taking tablets. I dread the day i need to stop the patches although my pain will not fade with time so i cant imagine them taking me off painkillers altogether ever.
    • Posted

Larry, your post breaks my heart. I am so very sorry about your wife. I know some time has passed since you lost her and I hope that you are doing some better by now. It bothered me so much to see you refer to yourself as “selfish self.” You were not selfish Larry. This was not your fault. I truly hope you have come to realize that. This drug took your wife and your soulmate away from you. Blame the drug, not yourself. It sounds like you were a very devoted husband and father - even taking time off of work. Not many people are able or willing to do that for their loved ones. And of course you had to go back to work. Please don’t blame yourself. I truly hope you are doing better. Let us know if you can. You and your family are in my prayers. Tori
  • Posted

Hello Eunice42724

I have been on Butram patches for over a year now and over the past few months I have felt awful.  I keep thinking I am depressed but it is not depression it is the patches.  I have left them of before to see if the pain has went but each time I do I get nausea diahoerrea and depressed.  I have been to the doctor today as I want off them as they are addictive.  I change mine every week and the day before I do I get low, crying and diahoerrea.  Today I told my doctor  I want off them she told me to stop and instead of the Butrams Patch I have to  take 6 Codeine Phosphate tablets 2 3 times a day for 5 days, and then gradually reduce slowly.  I do not know how I am going to cope with this I might even have to take time off work but I want off them they are very addictive and if you can get off I suggest you do as soon as possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.