Button Plasma TURP 4 weeks POST

Posted , 45 users are following.

To all those guys deciding what proceedure to have. 

I had the Button Plasma TURP August 30, 2016 after 10 years of dealing with BPH. I am 61 live in Southern California and in good health.  I was getting up 3-4 times a night and taking Finesteride and Doxysosyn (same thing as Flomax). During this time I had a couple of trips to the ER for a total blockage. Probally the most pain I have ever felt is when you can't pee. Two days of a cathter and I was back to normal.

After years of dealing with the pills and urgency my prostate finally grew so big that it completely shut down my ability to pee. Of course this happened on the 2nd day of a cruise. Thankfully cruise ships have hospitals and catheters, but finishing a cruise wth a leg bag affixed to your inner thingh is not my idea of a fun vacation. Anyway, for another month I had a catheter due to not being able to pee without it. The doctor said that the prostate finally grew to the point where it was pressing on everything in the area. Spicy food, alcohol, coffee and sitting for long periods would set it off so I needed to make a decision on having a surgical proceedure.

I researched severeral different proceedures but finally decided on the Button TURP. (less bleeding, less complications, and no hospital stay)

I tryed self catheterization but was not willing to do that for the rest of my life and I had difficulity inserting the tube without alot of pain and bleeding. So got an appointment with a urologist who is young and up on the new proceedures. He recommended Urolift but soon realized that my prostate was too big so therefore the button was the next step. I went to another surgeon who also advised a TURP but only did the original one and I wanted something new and inovative. I decided on the newer version although they all burn or cut out prostate tissue just by different methods.

I went in for a 7 am surgery and was out by 2 pm with a cateter and bag, antibiotics, spasm and pain meds. The first couple of days had some pain and spasms but nothing ibuprophen couldn't handle. The cateter stayed in for 9 days which, was uncomfortable, but I am glad it was done. My Dr was big on leaving it in for longer than the usual 3 days. It allowed my prostate time to heal and the swelling to go down so he said.

On day 10 the doctor removed the catheter and  said see you in 3 months and everything was good. He said the prostate was the size of a lemon ( way over 100 G) and had pushed into the bladder. The proceedure took 1 1/2 hours and he was only able to remove 50% of one side and everything around the bladder neck. He assured me that was enough and said I should be good for the rest of my life. He also said that I should not have any issues with retro ejaculation because he only removed the side opposite to the seminal canal. ( Hopefully he is right haven't tested that yet)

He allowed me to go back to the gym advising me not to lift heavy and no sex for 30 days. No other warnings except that it takes 6-8 weeks to heal and up to 3 months before it's back to normal. His lack of concern was reassuring to me seeing I have read way too many horror stories about the TURP.

I pee with no effort, still wake up twice a night but at least I pee real good. Every once in a while I get itching inside around the prostate (I assume it is healing) and minor after burn when peeing. Not bad it goes away real fast. I notice it is usually after a hard workout or when I overdo things during the day. No more blood or pressure when I sit and I never saw any scabs in my urine as described by some.

So it has been 4 weeks since surgery and I am glad I did it. It feels great to pee again. Yes there is some frequency at times (usually when you stand up after sitting) but no incontenence. I get errections better than before and the sensation seems better. I haven't had sex yet but soon, so I don't know about what that will be like. For many years I had retro from the drugs and got used to it.  I am a little apprehensive about sex because of the DR's warning not to have it for 30 days. Don't want it to get swollen or have a adverse reaction. I have not found much about sex after TURP so I am still in the dark.

Anyway guys it wasn't as bad as I thought and I am glad I did it. Don't get me wrong, you are not up and about running around for awhile but at least you can pee, get erections and have some hope for the future. You need to take it easy because the proceedure is rough and that area does not like to be poked, probed, cut burned and messed with. Drink alot of water and do not get constipated!. Take those stool softeners. It is amazing how everything down there is tied together.

If anyone has advice on the sex issue please let me know. Hopefully that works without issue.

I will keep all posted as time goes and after ejaculation ( if there is any) because that is what seems to concern most of us about this procedure.

So far so good!

2 likes, 187 replies

187 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is informative and encouraging, David.  I am undergoing Olympus button procedure one week from now.

• Posted

having the same procedure one week later, Dean.  pls keep us posted
    • Posted

Dean and Bill.......Good evening. With your upcoming surgery I hope you have read all the information you can and can trust your doctor because once it is done it can never be put back.  David I think was one of the lucky ones.  No retro.  That is only if the doctor did it right.  It can take up to 3 hours for them to avoid the bladder neck and the ejacutory vessels.  It is very hard to believe it because I just got done   reading 6 article on the procedure that you guys are going to have and not one said anything about retro ejaculation.  Untill I got to the last one the first thing this doctor said was retro ejaculation was a given because they destroy the bladder neck and the ducts to make the tunnel and doing that he said a older man dont need to ejaculate becauce we are not having kids,   I hope you guys were well informed and you picked the right procedure.  Some men have no change in there orgasm but some have such a decrease of pleasure that they give up on sex all together.  It is not the same.  Good luck to you both...Ken
  • Posted

to anyone who has had button TURP.   I had it done this morning, at home now with catheter that seems to fill as expected.    Do any of these post surgery indications sound out of the ordinary:

1 - small anount of blood seeping around the catheter

2 - feel the need for a bowel movement, nothing happening there.   Had one before surgery and usually go in the early mornings

3 - back pain.  doesn't feel like back spasms, I have had those before.   just general back pain behind the abdomen

Thank You

• Posted

Not really bill. I didn't come home with a catheter. It was taken out before I left the hospital. I had surgery two weeks ago. Have blood still in urine but it comes and goes. Nothing major. Light pink in color. No back pain but I do have very slight discomfort near my bladder. Hope you're feeling better daily

• Posted

That doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me. Just having a catheter can cause those symptoms

• Posted

Bill and all con, I had the button plasma procedure 10 months ago. Everything you are experiencing is normal. I have had no issues except retro did happen after 6 months. Doctor can't explain why, but my orgasm is still intense just no semen. I can't figure out why I could ejaculate in the beginning and then nothing. Everything else works so I am not going to have the doctor go in and look around.

Oh well guys good luck. Fyi..my doctor says the Resum (steam) procedure may be the way to go. He says it doesn't mess with the ducts. He is going to get trained and begin doing it down the road. Oh well a little late for me.

• Posted

Glad your doing well .  Sorry about the issue with retro  It is 9% the only thing I think wouldha ppen thatyou  have some scare tissue form over the duct opening.  Maybe down the line you can have that checked.  Good Luck  Ken 
  • Posted

thanks all for your feedback.   the first day was rough, much better today.   Another question, anybody know why Flomax was prescribed as post surgery medication? Asking because one of the reasons for the surgery was to avoid the meds, I didn't like the side-effects of Flomax pre-surgery.   I'll ask my Dr, meanwhile any insight appreciated.   Thanks!

• Posted

I had the Button Turp done two years ago right after it was approved in America. It was a 15 minute surgery with light anesthetic.  A few hours in the recovery bed until peeing resumed and home I went.  No pain or bleeding except for a few small blood clots coming out for the first few hours. I never had any pain or peeing problems. Sex was much better the following week as no retro grade ejaculation anymore. I was 76 years old at the time. Now I can hold peeing for 5 to 7 hours as the bladder has expanded since the Button Turp surgery. I played a 5 hour round of golf yesterday without even thinking of using the restroom.

Not all urologists will do the Button turp, but want to do the laser surgery which has lots of after effects. Find a doctor that is experienced in Button turps.

• Posted

That is a key.  If that is what you want and your doctor will not do it  find one that will  Ken
  • Posted

5 days post button turp.   catheter removed yesterday.  Stream is better.  frequency is higher (1-2 hours) and urge to go is stronger, probably because I'm drinking more water and exercising less.  no pain since first day reaction to anesthesia and quick pain with catheter removal

• Posted

Thanks to David and Mark (and others) for their positive reports.  As noted elsewhere it generally seems to be the negative issues that get posted.   However, here is the next part of my story…

Just been put on the wait list (up to three months) for a B-TURP after all the flow tests and years of “never passing an open toilet”.  Also 3 to 4 visits per night with consequent lack of sleep. Tamsulosin didn’t seem to do anything for me.  ( I appreciate my symptoms have not been as severe as some on this forum. )

Wanted a Urolift but I have a three lobe prostate (“which looked occlusive”) so that’s a no go. For information, UK based 69 years old, prostate 70cc, IPSS score 22.   PSA 5.38 (3.3 in 2014 but tests seemed to show no cancer).  Not completely voiding leaving about 100cc.   GP suggested Finasteride after Tamsulosin but I am already on other drugs after a quad heart bypass so not keen on adding to the cocktail of drugs. 

Having spent several months reading up on this and other fora I am hoping for a positive outcome.  Again thanks to all who have contributed here and elsewhere so “you are not alone”

• Posted

Mike I hope the 3 month's go's by fast for you. Button Turp is better for men in today world.  A lot of doctors do not do them because it take a little longer to do.  The doctor has better control of the button and they just don't just go in and start cutting away.  This help's because some men are concerned about retro.  You have a better chance of not getting it.  And you can get off all meds  I hope you have a caring doctor and I wish you the best  Ken  

• Posted

Thanks Kenneth,

I have also said I would take a cancellation as I am retired so here's hoping.

• Posted

7th Dec 2017.

Just had a phone call from the hospital.  They have had a cancellation so my B-Turp is currently scheduled for 14th Dec,  

• Posted

Good luck.  Just be sure before you rush into it.  Hope all works out for you  Ken
    • Posted

13th Dec    B-Turp Op for tomorrow cancelled as they have no spare beds! :-(
    • Posted

Thanks , however it wasn't a complete surprise as it's the NHS at Christmas!! :-)

• Posted

New date for B-Turp is 4th Jan 2018.  (Still expecting it to be cancelled though!)
    • Posted

Mike just be sure that is what you want to have.......You can still change your mind.  good luck  ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.