Button Plasma TURP 4 weeks POST

Posted , 45 users are following.

To all those guys deciding what proceedure to have. 

I had the Button Plasma TURP August 30, 2016 after 10 years of dealing with BPH. I am 61 live in Southern California and in good health.  I was getting up 3-4 times a night and taking Finesteride and Doxysosyn (same thing as Flomax). During this time I had a couple of trips to the ER for a total blockage. Probally the most pain I have ever felt is when you can't pee. Two days of a cathter and I was back to normal.

After years of dealing with the pills and urgency my prostate finally grew so big that it completely shut down my ability to pee. Of course this happened on the 2nd day of a cruise. Thankfully cruise ships have hospitals and catheters, but finishing a cruise wth a leg bag affixed to your inner thingh is not my idea of a fun vacation. Anyway, for another month I had a catheter due to not being able to pee without it. The doctor said that the prostate finally grew to the point where it was pressing on everything in the area. Spicy food, alcohol, coffee and sitting for long periods would set it off so I needed to make a decision on having a surgical proceedure.

I researched severeral different proceedures but finally decided on the Button TURP. (less bleeding, less complications, and no hospital stay)

I tryed self catheterization but was not willing to do that for the rest of my life and I had difficulity inserting the tube without alot of pain and bleeding. So got an appointment with a urologist who is young and up on the new proceedures. He recommended Urolift but soon realized that my prostate was too big so therefore the button was the next step. I went to another surgeon who also advised a TURP but only did the original one and I wanted something new and inovative. I decided on the newer version although they all burn or cut out prostate tissue just by different methods.

I went in for a 7 am surgery and was out by 2 pm with a cateter and bag, antibiotics, spasm and pain meds. The first couple of days had some pain and spasms but nothing ibuprophen couldn't handle. The cateter stayed in for 9 days which, was uncomfortable, but I am glad it was done. My Dr was big on leaving it in for longer than the usual 3 days. It allowed my prostate time to heal and the swelling to go down so he said.

On day 10 the doctor removed the catheter and  said see you in 3 months and everything was good. He said the prostate was the size of a lemon ( way over 100 G) and had pushed into the bladder. The proceedure took 1 1/2 hours and he was only able to remove 50% of one side and everything around the bladder neck. He assured me that was enough and said I should be good for the rest of my life. He also said that I should not have any issues with retro ejaculation because he only removed the side opposite to the seminal canal. ( Hopefully he is right haven't tested that yet)

He allowed me to go back to the gym advising me not to lift heavy and no sex for 30 days. No other warnings except that it takes 6-8 weeks to heal and up to 3 months before it's back to normal. His lack of concern was reassuring to me seeing I have read way too many horror stories about the TURP.

I pee with no effort, still wake up twice a night but at least I pee real good. Every once in a while I get itching inside around the prostate (I assume it is healing) and minor after burn when peeing. Not bad it goes away real fast. I notice it is usually after a hard workout or when I overdo things during the day. No more blood or pressure when I sit and I never saw any scabs in my urine as described by some.

So it has been 4 weeks since surgery and I am glad I did it. It feels great to pee again. Yes there is some frequency at times (usually when you stand up after sitting) but no incontenence. I get errections better than before and the sensation seems better. I haven't had sex yet but soon, so I don't know about what that will be like. For many years I had retro from the drugs and got used to it.  I am a little apprehensive about sex because of the DR's warning not to have it for 30 days. Don't want it to get swollen or have a adverse reaction. I have not found much about sex after TURP so I am still in the dark.

Anyway guys it wasn't as bad as I thought and I am glad I did it. Don't get me wrong, you are not up and about running around for awhile but at least you can pee, get erections and have some hope for the future. You need to take it easy because the proceedure is rough and that area does not like to be poked, probed, cut burned and messed with. Drink alot of water and do not get constipated!. Take those stool softeners. It is amazing how everything down there is tied together.

If anyone has advice on the sex issue please let me know. Hopefully that works without issue.

I will keep all posted as time goes and after ejaculation ( if there is any) because that is what seems to concern most of us about this procedure.

So far so good!

2 likes, 187 replies

187 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mike or anybody know where you can get Button Turp done in the UK either on NHS or Private?
  • Posted

I'm having Button Turp Jan 2018. My Dr explained I will still be able to Oragasm but the path the semen will take is maintained in my system. Long story short Dr. Said she can do a minimally evasive Button Turp so I will be able to ejaculate. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS LESS EVASIVE TYPE OF SURGERY?

I'm nervous as hell and not sure I'll go thru with it. I have no incontinence it's just 40% of my urine stays in my bladder after I pee. So I pee all the time.

• Posted

Rocky  Why are you having it if you still are able to pee.  She is telling you that because that is what she learned in school.  All men have orgasm but not all men have the same kind. A plasma Button Turp you have more control of the button and if she is careful she can get ride of the tissue that is causing a problem with out you having retro.  I would look into something less evasive.  There is UROLIFT, PAE, REZUM, FLA all do the same as a TURP make a tunnel.  Cancel before you are force into something you will not be happy with.  Take care  Ken  
    • Posted

I had button turp and no subsequent issues with orgasm or ejaculation.  maybe less volume or maybe that's just from being older..  It doesn't affect the experience of orgasm.   Before the TURP, I also had an urge to go all the time and had a weak stream.  After TURP, stream is strong, bladder empties completely.  Feel I need to pee about every four hours rather than all the time, which helps with sleep and longer duration activities.  Most TURP procedures have a positive outcome, though that's not reflected here.  This forum scared me before the surgery, but there's nothing to be nervous about.

• Posted

Bill Glad you had a good out come.  I have heard some good thing about The button Turp not the Regular Turp.  Of course it all depends on how caring your doctor is.  A button Turp take longer to do because then have to take there time.  But we also have to look at the outcome of some of the other men that wish they have never did it. Also Turp is a last resort procedure.  I don't think Bill is at is last resort.  If it was so great there would be the only procedure we could pick from. Have a great day  Ken  

• Posted

there are a number of options, the appropriate one depends on the individual's conditions, preferences, and factors that my be specific to the situation.   Need to be careful about spreading misinformation as any surgery takes careful consideration and people might be influenced by these forums.   TURP is not a last resort, it is one of a number of options to consider including watchful waiting.

• Posted

Yes it does depend on your conditions. And what you can deal with.  We are on here to give our opinion and to give our situation and what we have had done to help us.  We are all different and we all have different things that will make us happy.  Before a man picks anything you have to research and get all the information you can. Has for a regular TURP I read a article from the Mayo Clinic that there is a decline in Turp Procedures over the last 5 years by 30%. My doctor and there are a few men on here that were told by others doctor that the TURP procedure is the Last Resort.  With all the other procedure out there.  All procedure do the same thing make a tunnel so you can pee better.  Some men have made a choice to not have surgery and just do CIC because there doctor were just one sided.   Men what more they just being able to pee which is important.  They do not want to lose any part of there sex life.  Men today are having more problems earlier.  Some men even in there 40's are starting to have prostate problem. You just have to fine a doctor that care enough about you and your concerns to have the best for you.  If a doctor does not deal with what his patient is concerned about you need to find another one that does not just do Turp one that know many different procedure to pick from.  When it comes down to it.  The man has to pick what he can deal with not anyone else  Ken         

• Posted

Rocky.  Here is some information that I got from a Dr. Gordon Muir.  Some of the men on here may know him.  This paper was writing with some of the other doctors that he knows.  With retro which means it go up into the bladder and ante-grade which means out.  I am going to write it just the way it is printed in my e-mail. .  Similar data showing that the preservation of the ejaculatory duct area during TURP can also preserve ante-grade ejaculation in most men.  The technique uses standard monopolar resection with the focus on preserving the verumontanum and the surrounding tissue.They describe resection of the middle lobe up to a mark 1 cm proximal to the verumontanum.  The lateral lobes are resected to the level of the verumontanum, but without cutting into the paracollicular tissue.  The bladder neck is resected in the same way as standed TURP techniques.  By preserving apical tissue using these anatomical landmarks 90% of men preserved ejaculation with a good voiding out come..  Sorry this is so long but what matter is if you have a doctor that care about your concerns they can do anything it just takes more time.  But there is still that 10%.  Do you want to gamble and be in that group.  Rocky ask your doctor if she does the minimally Turp is it guarantee no retro ejaculation.  If she can't I would say no and just do CIC for a while you are still able to go by yourself  Have a great day  ken.   

• Posted

I had plasma button TURP yesterday. Catheter removed this morning. NO PAIN at all peeing, no problems so far. Pink pee but nothing too bad.They told me it would be like peeing razor blades....not so. I had zero pain peeing so far. It's only been 20 hours since the procedure. Reading Google you would think it much worse than what it really is. Dr Castellucci in Bradenton, FL has done well over 1000 of these procedures and really knows what he's doing.  

• Posted

Hi Bill, I agree this forum scared the hell out of me prior to my plasma button procedure.

I had my procedure on Jan 2. So far the recovery has been text book. First pee after catheter was removed blew me away as it was stronger that I have had in years. After 10 days I still have to go frequently but when I go I am able to empty my bladder what feels like completely.  I've had minimal bleeding but noticed after 10 days, there is slight blood in the pee at the beginning and at the end of the stream. I think this is normal. Also when I pee during a bowel movement there is slight bleeding at the end. Can you confirm? I haven't tried sex yet but felt I was getting some wood the other night but was afraid it was too soon. So at least I know I can get an erection. I had already assumed I'd have retro and sort of had that anyway with the BPH.

To me the retro is a small price to pay for being able to pee consistently.

• Posted

Hi Bill, I have to agree. I had mine on Jan 2 and didn't even use the pain pills prescribed. I must say that after reading similar on google, I anticipated razor blades so I was really apprehensive with the first pee after the catheter  was removed. But, there was nothing. I expected much worse as well. Dr Joseph Franks in Santa Cruz Ca does two of these surgeries a week so is also very experienced. After 10 days I'm peeing at least once an hour but i am also pumping a lot of fluid to flush out the bladder. I have had no tissue from the surgery come out while peeing which I also anticipated from reading these forums.  I am totally happy with my decision to do this Dr Franks (on my request) had a couple of patients that are similar to my age and profile call me with feedback on their experience with the plasma button procedure.   They both commented that they wished they had done the procedure years earlier.

• Posted

Myke glad your doing do.  But why should you have to give up anything just to pee better.  A plasma button turp is much better then the old one from the 50's.  That one they just cut everything out. and there goes most of your sex life and retro was a given.  Did your doctor take his time with your procedure.  If he did he could have shared the nerves and you may not have retro.  Well it's not for me to say.  If you are happy that is great.  Take care and good luck  Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken,

I was sort of having  retro b4 the surgery. Sometimes only a drop of semen would come out and other times nothing would come out . So I'm sort of used to it. I'm curious what will happen when  I try sex after the surgery. He must have been cautious because I can get an erectionsmile

My philosophy behind making the decision to do this was as follows:

If you don't pee you die. And if you only pee a little and struggle every time you try, the long term  impact to the bladder and kidneys can be devastating Including loosing the elasticity of the bladder (which you need to pee)

Also, my BPH symptoms have had a major impact to my lifestyle. I'm an active person that works out regularly and need to drink a lot of water for health reasons. With BPH I had to monitor when I drank something to make sure there was a bathroom near by.

I also have a long commute and have been stuck in traffic several times in places where I couldn't get off the fwy because I had to pee.  I pee'd my pant's on a few occasions. I started carrying a pee bottle

Also, my symptoms got so strong I was up 7 to 8 times a night trying to pee with little or no relief. I was exhausted.

I was becoming depressed and  wanted a better life style where I didn't have to worry about the discomfort of not being able to pee, and when and where I could attempt to pee. Using a public urinal was embarrassing especially when other men were waiting.

Improving my life style and making sure my bladder and kidneys are not negatively impacted as I grow older was the biggest part of the decision. 

At 61 I'm not worried about kids so whether the ejaculate goes out the penis or backwards into the bladder doesn't really matter to me because the organism is the same.

When I'm healed completely, (a few weeks down the line)  I'm convinced from other post and feedback from Dr Franks other patients that  this procedure will restore my previous life style which includes sex.

I would much rather go into my senior years with retro as opposed to dealing with BPH Symptoms

I am grateful for Dr Franks skill and compassion and the outcome so far. I hope speedy recovery  for you as well.

• Posted

Your RE before surgery was most likely from the meds you were talking. Now with a successful surgery, you should be able to wean off the meds and RE might be gone in time. Hank
    • Posted

As long as you are aware of the out come.  Were you on any med's that would cause retro.  You said that you are getting morning wood which is a good sign.  Maybe he did take his time to save everything and maybe you will not get retro.  I read a man on here had it done and his amount changed it was more then it was before.  I have heard good things about the men that have had A plasma Turp.  If the doctor is good he can get ride of the tissue that is causing the problem and leave the rest alone.  I wish you well and I hope you heal fast and complete.  Take care  ken

• Posted

you provided a great perspective, mykel, that'll be very helpful to others coming to this board for insight about button turp from real patients.   my situation was almost identical to yours with the constant urge to pee interfering with sport and sleep.   I had the button turp surgery last June and now 7 months later there are no residual effects.  I'm back to full strength in workouts.   Stream is like a teenager, there is no constant urge to go.  The only thing is that frequent waking at night is slow to improve.  Before surgery I was up about every 90 minutes, now every 3 hours on average.   The surgery was definitely worthwhile.

• Posted

That is great Bill.  Did you end up with retro.  Happy for you  Ken
    • Posted

That is great.  I have heard a lot of good things about the Plasma Button Turp.  Most men that have it do not get retro.  Have a good week  Ken
    • Posted

Great news Myke, as Hank says great philosophy.   I am 69 and can relate to most of your issues.

My B-Turp cancelled again due to lack of beds (seems everyone wants a bed at Christmas :-)

Currently re-scheduled for third time to Thurs 18th Jan 2018. 

Hope recovery continues on a positive path... Mike

• Posted

Hi Hank, I wasn't on any meds prior to the surgery. I had stopped taking the flomax a month after it was prescribed  because it made me really sick. I was super dizzy all the time and felt like I had the flu.  I thought the RE was because the prostrate was so large it was blocking the output so it had no where to go but backwards. I will let you knw in a day of so. Thanks for the feedback

• Posted

How long have you been off the Flomax?  It may take a while.  The last time I was on it was in the November when I was in the hospital.  I took it for 9 day's.  It took more they 2 weeks for me to get make to normal.  You never know maybe the opening is block but it should come out.  I watch a video on ejaculation.  I don't think they had it in to far.  It came from the back of the prostate but the tube is on the left.  It is very interesting how it all works.  Good luck to you  Ken 

• Posted

I'm sorry for your delay. After I made my decision to go ahead, I was able to get mine scheduled within a few weeks. I was lucky. My surgery was Dr Franks first of the new year so he was fresh coming of of the long holiday.

I know during those two weeks prior I was very apprehensive and my anxiety was high anticipating what was going to happen.

I just wanted to re-assure you that this surgery is no big whoop and I have had now issues with recovery  after 2 weeks. This surgery  is going to make you feel much better and change your life for the better.  Just wait till that first pee. You'll be blown away at how well the stream flows. After struggling to pee for so long, having it come out in a good stream was pleasantly alarming and quickly raised my spirits.

Good luck my friend. I hope you get in there soon and get it done so you can get on with you life.

Mykel

• Posted

I started flowmax in October and was off of it by day after Thanksgiving.

Regardless of what happens, I constantly amazed at how well the body can heal, adapt and change. I'm just glad we have the technology (which keeps getting better) to deal with this silent epidemic. I often wonder how men how men dealt with this in the past when this technology was not available. I don't think there were as many options in the 70' 80's or 90's. Now it's an out patient surgery

• Posted

The one thing I forgot to convey is that you must take the recovery very seriously.

They really want you to do nothing physical other than walking around the house but mostly they want you to rest.

My nurse told me In the past they required a weeks stay in the hospital to make sure the patient didn't move around too much and cause excess bleeding. It is important to take heed to this advise because you will feel better almost immediately and want to get back to your regular activities ASAP. but don't do it. take the time to rest and heal. Those that din't had problems which included a trip to emergency for excess bleeding

• Posted

Yes.  It is odd.  I don't think my Father new what a prostate was.  It was something that you never talk about.  My Father was 82 when he died.  Never had a problem.  Years ago you only had the TURP which is hard on a men's body's.  The Plasma Button Turp is much better.  The doctor can control what tissue he removed.  You just have to have a good caring doctor that knows your concerns.  I hopw all work out for you  Ken  

• Posted

Quick question. It's been two weeks since surgery and I still have intermittent blood at beginning of the stream. Noticeable when I start the flow then becomes clear in a second.  I think this is expected but wanted to check. One of my older friends had the same and he says it comes and goes for a while but eventually it will stop. What has been your experience? 

• Posted

At last, after two cancellations I had my B-Turp on Jan 18th 2018 .  Now back at home in R&R. 

Catheter and flushing drip  was removed after 40 hours and sent home 24 hours later after several successful pees.

Still drinking plenty of water and pees tend to start with a redder burst as though the blood is collecting at the exit point.  Then quickly clears to light pink.  (I shall never look at Rose wine in the same light again!).

First night after catheter was removed was the longest I have slept for some time. Went to bed at 9pm, woke at 1;30 am for a pee and then slept till 6:30 am...  Bliss.

Had a couple of minor issues. Had to have catheter back flushed a couple of times because of blood clots  and when the catheter was removed the nurse only removed 10ml of water from the balloon that keeps it in when it actually had 50mls in.  Both events a little painful.!!!

Best to all  Mike

Will come back and report again after a few more weeks.

• Posted

Mike  I wish you well.  And I hope you get the results your looking for and no side effects  Only time will tell  Ken
    • Posted

Whoa not emptying the balloon! That had to hurt. I had one try to inflate before the catheter in. It was more painful that a full bladder!

Hopefully all will be well now.

• Posted

Excellent Mike, Glad to hear your B-Turp was successful. I'm just checking back in to give an update to others following  this forum as mine was a few weeks before yours.  I had mine on Jan 2 2018 and would say I'm probably 95% back to pre-BPH days. My recovery mimics that of david75878 in the first post  above. I pee very good now. Flow has stayed strong and steady. Just started working out again and have experienced no issues. I did get retro though but everything else is working fine. I feel normal again.cheesygrin 

I did experience a few blood clots that passed when I pee'd around week 3 and a chunk of tissue passed the first time I pee'd after sex. Other than that, the only thing if feel is that there is still a little aching that resonates in the shaft after peeing but goes away quickly and there is like (i don't want to say pain) but it's like an itch or twinge in the prostrate area. Very slight. Just enough to let you it's still healing.  My urgency and frequency is a little more than I'd like but it's only been 5 weeks since the surgery and It is slowly getting better. One thing that surprised in these first 5 weeks of recovery was that when I feel the urge to go, I should go quickly. There have been times during the night where I woke up with the urge to go, and when I stood up, the urgency increased so much that I didn't get to the toilet fast enough and the first part of the pee went on the floor. Just be aware of that and don't say I can wait... At work I noticed this also. I sit a a computer all day and drink a lot of water while working. I feel the urge to go and when I stand up I realize I must hustle to get to the restroom. Since I'm back at work, I use a maxi pad in my underwear like the one they gave me in the Dr's office after removing the cath just in case. This urgency is also slowly diminishing.  Bottom line, I am a happy camper and a very strong advocate for this procedure for any man that suffers with BPH.

Totally life changing.

I wish you well bro.

• Posted

That is all that matters.  If you happy they that was good for you But not all men are ready to give up on there ejaculation.  There have been many other men on here that they did not get retro with a Button Turp.  I guess it depends on the doctor.  Heal well  Ken
    • Posted

Good to hear your progress mykel. (My status: three weeks post op)   Interestingly I do  not have the urgency and seem to be able to make a controlled walk when I need to pee. Only wearing a pad overnight.  Occasionally i get a session without blood in the urine but generally a small show at the beginning of the flow.  Flow is 250 to 300ml in 5 or 6 seconds which is  great improvement over pre op. A slight burn at the end of the flow which is no longer too uncomfortable. 

Urologist has sent letter for an appointment with him next week.

so far , like you i am happy at the outcome of the B-Turp.

• Posted

Forgot to mention (so it can't be that bad)  I do have a slight pain in the small of my back since the op.  I think I have seen other folk mention this....   Mike

• Posted

Had a four week check with the urologist and he seems happy with my progress  (as do I)   .  Less blood in the urine although still slight burn at end of flow.   Still tired but early days yet, he expects my flow volume to slowly increase as the body repairs itself and the bladder works out what going on!

Only negative is that the biopsy they took has come back with a Gleason score of 3+4   so he has scheduled an MRI scan  to check it out further.   I am taking the attitude that is good they have found it at a relatively early stage , if I hadn't had the op I would be none the wiser....   Mike

• Posted

MRI scan for extent of cancer cell  invasion scheduled for 15th April 2018.  Delay due to waiting for B-Turp operation to heal.   Mike
    • Posted

Had follow up meetings and  letters with my Urologist and it seems like acceptable news re the cancer issue.  After an MRI scan they say my cancer is restricted to what is left of my prostate and hasn't been seen in my biones or outsude the prostate.  They just want to monitor my PSA every three months to make sure it stays low (currently 1.8) .  So from my (positive) perspective I belive that had I not had the B-Turp my cancer would have been left and may only have been discovered in a couple of years when maybe it was becoming aggressive and invasive. 

As far as BPH is concerned  it is now 4 months since my B-Turp operation and I have no major issues.  Overnight I can hold out till 5:30 in the morning and release about 600-700ml in ten seconds.  No problems or pain during the day but I do have retro.  This is not a major problem to me, although I know it can be for some.  

Best Wishes to all... Mike

• Posted

Mike glad your doing so well,  But it seam to me that you went and had a procedure and you still have the cancer.  Having a procedure is to get rid of the cancer.  Could he not get rid of it at all our did he get rid of most of it.  Just a little confused  Ken
    • Posted

Ken,

The op was to relieve the problems of poor flow and repeated nigh time visits to the toilet. (which it has fixed)  They only discovered the cancer on a biopsy after the B-Turp. I believe because the B-Turp destroys most of the material of the prostate, they do take a biopsy as a matter of course. Otherwise we would not have known about it.  Researching the net and books after I was first informed, this looks like  the best outcome if you going to have cancer.

In 5 months after two blood tests to monitor PSA I have an appointment with my urologist and have decided that if he agrees I may have Brachytherapy  to destroy whatever is left.  Otherwise it is watchful waiting...

Mike

• Posted

Just wondering.  It was up to you and you are a ready for any thing that comes up.  I hope you get no other side effects. Take care and heal well  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.