BV is driving me mad!

Posted , 46 users are following.

I've had BV a few times, and have found this is normally when I'm with a new partner. People keep talking about a fishy smell but mine doesn't smell like that. It's more like a very strong ammonia / wee smell, or sometimes a cabbagey smell...... it's just horrendous! Don't know if anyone else has had the next very strange symptom, but the discharge also seems to take the colour out of the gusset on my knickers!!! Like bleach!

I've just had a 5 day treatment of the metronadizole gel but I came on unexpectedly (a week early) on day 4 of the treatment. The chemist said I had to carry on with the treatment but that it might reduce the effects. Anyway, I finished the treatment.... then came out with thrush (common side effect) which I treated. And guess what? Now the thrush has gone i've noticed the BV is still there! Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghh! Will it never end?

Just on my way to pick up prescription for another course of the gel sad

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I have read a lot of letters on here and they all seem to relate to me, especially this one.

I get the ammonia/pee smell too.... even if i've been to the loo at work i wait a few minutes till i come out of the cubical as I feel like if someone goes in after me they will smell it and think i'm dirty.

I am so embarrassed, My partner can even smell it, he must feel sick!

I don't even want to have sex anymore as I am so ashamed of it, it embarrasses me.

I have just been to the Dr today and she has given me a course of the metronadizole tablets, so i'm starting them today for a week (fingers crossed).

I just feel so alone. I went to a party last week and they were all playing twister and I darent join in, just incase i smelt !!!! sad

Light relief to read the comments on here.

Thank you

Ruby xxx

• Posted

I have suffered from recurrent BV for almost 3 years now. I am married and completely monogamous as is my husband, but it just keeps coming back. Here is some information I've been given and things I've tried that have helped me.

First, I had two doctors tell me that women who have had children, and women who have IUD such as the mirena which I did, seem to be much more suseptible to it. Also you don't have to have multiple sex partners or change sex partners.....just having more sex than usual can cause it.

Ok, so things I have tried that seem to be helping lessen the occurrences and uncomfortable symptoms. First off, probiotics. Every single day. Yes they are stupidly expensive but they really work to help balance things out. Especially if you have to use the metronadizole, I know I always ended up with a yeast infection from taking the antibiotics so then I was doubly miserable. If you already have the infection, double the probiotics for the first two or three days, then go down to normal dose and take them religiously, it has really lessened my recurrences and even seems to make the symptoms not so bad when I do get it.

For immediate relief of symptoms if you have to wait on an appt and/or meds, try boric acid suppositories. They work very quickly, for me it was within a couple hours the smell and discharge dropped dramatically. Hope some of this helps!

• Posted

Great information! Please contribute your experiences to my blog under the appropriate remedy. I'm trying to create a forum where we can all discuss the best way to fight this terrible infection. Happy curing!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the blog address as we do not publish these. If anyone wants the details please use the private message facility.

• Posted

I've had this problem for almost 8 yrs it's so uncomfortable,less when stood,I also suffer with IBS at same time.Tried telling GPs stemmed from the menopause,I find driving uncomfortable let alone sitting watching TV all I do is fidget to get comfortable,do you ladies experience this I've written down all your tips will give them a go. These female issue sites are invaluable,another female issue we have to contend with,like we've not got enough to deal with on the gyne front .ive put my daughter onto the this Web site now .Warm wishes to all x
  • Posted

OMG i'm glad i'm not alone! I've been dealing with it for almost 5 years now! I rarely have the fishy smell.  And i can't even tell half the time whether it's yeast or BV.  Like i feel like i have a cactus up my vagina! It's uncomfortable! I seem to get BV, then treat it, but need a second treatment for BV and then end up with yeast so this vicious cycle just won't stop! I have tried Probiotics, and i have the Luvena Prebiotics (gel to insert) and i'm trying that a few times a week.  I also asked my doctor to put me on a long term course to treat it.  So i do a Clindesse vaginal suppository after intercourse, and then i have to follow up with a vaginal cream to elimiate the yeast! It's so discouraging and frustrating! Ughhhhh
    • Posted

The luvena DOES work! But you HAVE TO USE IT EVERY DAY! It starves the bacteria of its food (I believe it's iron, but I could be wrong) I think that's why it gets worse when you're on your cycle. I use hydrogen peroxide & purified water 50/50 to douche with before this regimen and then Luvena for two weeks straight EVERY Night. It will be gone, I promise.

• Posted

What is with the bleaching effect. Wackadoodle. Glad I'm single at the moment, but hating myself alone is probably just as bad as hating myself with someone else.
    • Posted

less than a minute ago

The luvena DOES work! But you HAVE TO USE IT EVERY DAY! It starves the bacteria of its food (I believe it's iron, but I could be wrong) I think that's why it gets worse when you're on your cycle. I use hydrogen peroxide & purified water 50/50 to douche with before this regimen and then Luvena for two weeks straight EVERY Night. It will be gone, I promise.

• Posted

What about if you live in america?  sad I've been dealing with this since 09 when I was raped. I can't get rid of the order. I've taken pills, douche, and ect. I was told it can live with you forever
    • Posted

less than a minute ago

• Posted

I've also had BV for a few years..and researched tons of cures. And so far none of them worked. .. except recently I had read Garlic cures BV .... Just plain garlic. .. so thought I would try it... just peal a garlic clove and poke it with a fork to make holes and insert it in your vagina.... it will burn so just heads up... keep it in there for about an hour or 2 then take out. ... do that for 2 days or so and it will cure it. .. I tried this for 1 day and it was gone... no more smell and I feel fine..... Happy to not deal with this no longer
    • Posted

less than a minute ago

• Posted

Sorry to sound super ignorant but how do you get the clove out? Once it's all the way up there I can't reach it. If you douche it out doesn't that just ruin the effect??

• Posted

Hello you guys I know it's been a year so I wanna how was the results I'm 25 and I've been struggling work this since 6 grade I've had people make fun of me and call me fishy and they even made w sing about me please guys what help you I go to online school now but I'm going to start working soon I don't want people smelling me at work please!
    • Posted

I use boric acid suppositores that  I make myself. I also use them for maintenance after sex and during my cycle. google boric acid and bv also look up boric acid on amazon there is tons of people on there like us who it freed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.