BV That Won't Go Away :( Started after an antibotic

Posted , 82 users are following.

I've been suffering with BV for about 9 months now-- with random but infrequent yeast infections as well. This all started for me when I was prescribed an antibiotic for a UTI, which I had also never had. It has been an absolute nightmare especially since Ive never ever had an issue until that medication.. The worst part is that I told the doctor at the time that I could not handle antibiotics well since I have a very weak stomach but they made it seem as if i had no other choice. I've had antibiotics for other reasons before and they have made me so sick and puking but never resulted in a yeast infection, bv, or anything similar.

The symptoms that are the worst are the CONSTANT burning, itching and irration, as well as a small amount of yellow discharge. I've had the same partner for 3 years now and I am sick of doctors who ask me questions that try to place the blame back on me. No I am not wearing clothing that is too tight, sleeping with new partners, and I do know how to wipe properly.. Again none of these problems ever occured in my life until AFTER this antibiotic I was given for my UTI. 

I've tried taking probiotics daily, vit c, using boric acid suppositories, eating raw garlic, vaginal probiotic, very strict protein and greens diet, alkaline water, tea tree oil, etc. 

I'm really not sure where to go from here. I've seen probably 10 different doctors. All but once the results came back as positive with BV, or BV and yeast. I've had no break from this in the last 9 months-- NOT ONE DAY. It's terrible. Because I'm not on my death bed the doctors don't seem to care but it completely interferes with my life right now. 

The naturopath put me on a very restrictive diet that was nearly impossible to maintain-- left me feeling starved. I'm very active, in my 20s and eat healthy well balanced meals. But boiled eggs and greens for every meal.. The other doctors just want to put me on antibiotic after antibiotic even after I explain that I believe that's where my problems began. I refuse to take another unless it's life or death right now as I'm almost sure it will just mess me up more-- or if it does give me relief I doubt it will be for very long and I want to sort out the root cause.

Please I really really need some suggestions. Do I need to stick with the only greens and protein diet? (I do not eat meat)

sad sad sad I could have never imagined what having a problem like this was like, it never crossed my mind and now its all I think about. I want my life back. 

5 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am in the same boat as you though I am 53. I took augmentin for a sinus infection in December, and I am living in burning vaginal/anal hell. I've been given flagl and duflucan 2x with no improvement. I have started a meat, veggie, yogurt diet with a 50 billion probiotic and have lost 20 pounds since December due to anxiety and the food is horrible.

My gynie has just swabbed me for everything under the sun. Waiting for results. It freaks me out you have been suffering with this for 9 months. I've only had it for 3.5 months and I'm going insane.

Keep us posted if you find any relief and what you used! I will do the same.

Good luck!

• Edited

Hi grace, 

I've been having the same problem since January. I had dental work done and they put me on a reduculoys amount of antibiotics and I haven't been the same since. It started with the yeast  infection caused by high antibiotics the the yeast infection cause a BV. I have been having reoccurring Bv ever since. I don't have the discharge or burning and itching, just that fishy smell. Im so upset it's taking its toll on me and I fear my relationship. The smell will come and go but I just don't feel right any more. My gynecologist has finally put me on boric acid capsules. I used them every night for 30 days. Which seemed to cure me but sadly it did not. 

Have you had any more luck with a cure?

• Posted

Like all of you, I suffer with BV. It all started after 7 weeks of antibiotics for Lyme Disease! That was two years ago! It took a ridiculous amount of time for doctors to believe I was suffering until 8 months ago when I found a great doctor with a reliable lab.  Now I have been on a cycle of antibiotics for the past 8 months trying to eliminate the BV.  After each course of antibiotics, the doctor has put me on 1% hydrogen peroxide gel...although the BV has consistently returned! So frustrating. I too am on the verge of depression! It's just been too long! So, now I'm on my current round of antibiotic. After I am done with the ten day course, we will continue the hydrogen peroxide gel, but will add a once a week application of antibiotic. Stay tuned!

• Posted

I have been suffering with the same issue for over a year and have tried just about EVERYTHING! I read an article about boric acid suppositories and just got them in the mail and tried them yesterday, and OMG--I already feel back to normal just after the first one! It's amazing- please try this if you haven't already. I can't believe how fast it went away, after dealing with the nastiness for a year and a half. I've been so paranoid that people could smell me at work, I didn't think I'd ever be able to date again, I've literally been going crazy over this and feeling so depressed. If you are reading this and suffering with BV, get boric acid suppositories PLEASE! smile

• Posted

hello. hopefully you see this msg

did ypur symptoms come back by any chance

and where did you get the boric acid

• Posted

I have also been having this problem and it's very frustrating cause I've tried antibiotic after antibiotic I even tried some home remedies but my midwife prescribed me metronidazole vag gel and it has helped a little but I'm not done with it yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just thought the medication could help some of you! Good luck ladies

• Posted

Has anyone on this thread found relief?  I’ve been suffering for 1 year.  It’s been horrendous.  Swollen burning vagina every single day and I’ve tried everything.  I’ve had the most sensitive tests available which show positive for enterococcus and Gardenerella but no antibiotic or home remedy has taken the pain away. I have no life anymore and am bound to ice packs 24 hours a day.  Please help. 
    • Posted

Hi Tina,

I am more new to this as I have only had BV in and off in the past and have been in pain non stop for the last 9 weeks now with on going tests.

I am doing the sachets of alkaline and ice packs is there anything else you have found in the last few weeks that helps... I’m going crazy even this soon into it.

Feeling your pain, Chloe  

• Posted

Hey Grace, did you finally find a solution to rid of this problem. 
  • Posted

That sucks 😣 had it for 9 years now. Don’t know how I coped with it but everytime I was given antibiotics it came back. No doctors want to give me any medication. I’m just tired. Anyone with a real solution please help me. 

• Posted

Hi all,

Have you tried prevegyne? It's an over the counter medication. Its a natural medication and you insert 6 vitamin c tablets per night. It has worked for me in the past. Currently i have another pesky case of bv after being on anti biotics that seems to be a bit more persistent this time, but i notice a significant difference (especially in reducing odour) after even just one dose of this stuff. 

• Posted

Hi,

Which country are you in to have these available? 

I’m trying to find something over here that may help me smile

Thanks! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.