BV That Won't Go Away :( Started after an antibotic

Posted , 82 users are following.

I've been suffering with BV for about 9 months now-- with random but infrequent yeast infections as well. This all started for me when I was prescribed an antibiotic for a UTI, which I had also never had. It has been an absolute nightmare especially since Ive never ever had an issue until that medication.. The worst part is that I told the doctor at the time that I could not handle antibiotics well since I have a very weak stomach but they made it seem as if i had no other choice. I've had antibiotics for other reasons before and they have made me so sick and puking but never resulted in a yeast infection, bv, or anything similar.

The symptoms that are the worst are the CONSTANT burning, itching and irration, as well as a small amount of yellow discharge. I've had the same partner for 3 years now and I am sick of doctors who ask me questions that try to place the blame back on me. No I am not wearing clothing that is too tight, sleeping with new partners, and I do know how to wipe properly.. Again none of these problems ever occured in my life until AFTER this antibiotic I was given for my UTI. 

I've tried taking probiotics daily, vit c, using boric acid suppositories, eating raw garlic, vaginal probiotic, very strict protein and greens diet, alkaline water, tea tree oil, etc. 

I'm really not sure where to go from here. I've seen probably 10 different doctors. All but once the results came back as positive with BV, or BV and yeast. I've had no break from this in the last 9 months-- NOT ONE DAY. It's terrible. Because I'm not on my death bed the doctors don't seem to care but it completely interferes with my life right now. 

The naturopath put me on a very restrictive diet that was nearly impossible to maintain-- left me feeling starved. I'm very active, in my 20s and eat healthy well balanced meals. But boiled eggs and greens for every meal.. The other doctors just want to put me on antibiotic after antibiotic even after I explain that I believe that's where my problems began. I refuse to take another unless it's life or death right now as I'm almost sure it will just mess me up more-- or if it does give me relief I doubt it will be for very long and I want to sort out the root cause.

Please I really really need some suggestions. Do I need to stick with the only greens and protein diet? (I do not eat meat)

sad sad sad I could have never imagined what having a problem like this was like, it never crossed my mind and now its all I think about. I want my life back. 

5 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi,

so i am having the same problem. for 7 months now i have had bv and have been on flagyll 4 times now. the infection seems to clear during antibiotics but comes back in just a few days! been to the doc 3-4 times and the last three visits ive had yeast and bv now! even after taking diflucan it seems the flagyll permanently made yeast stick around now. i feel so hopeless and am now on clindomycin but am scared its just going to come right back. before it was just bv but now its yeast and bv and i keep asking myself what the heck is wrong with me.

also has anyone had bv with no fishy smell? my discharge has no smell at all which is surprising to me since usually bv does cause a bad smell.

• Posted

hi,

so i am having the same problem. for 7 months now i have had bv and have been on flagyll 4 times now. the infection seems to clear during antibiotics but comes back in just a few days! been to the doc 3-4 times and the last three visits ive had yeast and bv now! even after taking diflucan it seems the flagyll permanently made yeast stick around now. i feel so hopeless and am now on clindomycin but am scared its just going to come right back. before it was just bv but now its yeast and bv and i keep asking myself what the heck is wrong with me.

also has anyone had bv with no fishy smell? my discharge has no smell at all which is surprising to me since usually bv does cause a bad smell.

• Posted

Do you have a fishy odour? If so, antibiotics should clear this up, but if you don't have a fishy odour it's more likely a yeast infection. Yeast infections cause the itching & burning you describe but BV has a bad odour with a watery discharge. Personal experience. Yeast infection only once in my life, itching, burning & irritated. Had BV 5 times in lifetime. Symptoms, bad fishy smell with a watery discharge. Good luck, but sounds more like a yeast infection but of course clarify this with you doctor.

• Edited

I have gotten BV after a round of antibiotics for a uti as well, it did not want to go away but im starting to find some things that work for me and relieve all my discomfort, smell, etc. I take these everyday:

1.) A gut/vaginal health probiotic (2-3 times a day)

2.) vitamin D (once daily) also has helped me feel happier during the BV nightmare

3.) Oil of oregano (2 times a day) - I believe this is the real reason for my relief so far. Oil of oregano is a natural antibiotic and kills bad bacteria as long as you are consistent (look it up! 😃)

I know it is tempting to go to the doc for antibiotics for BV but i believe that only provides temporary relief. Antibiotics are very hard on our bodies and really mess with the natural balance of our gut/ vaginal flora. Make sure to keep clean and wash with a pH balancing soap (like honeypot) and drink lots of water to help your body with flushing out bacteria. I have a feeling BV is triggered by stress, diet, etc. and this causes flare ups. Try for as long as possible not to insert anything into your vag. (it may provide relief but this can really mess with you pH and make things worse in the long run) Try go work from the inside out and let your body self clean. I hope this helps and i promise to come back if I find any other helpful cures!❤ Stay strong, you WILL get through this.

• Posted

Hi! Thank you for these amazing tips. Gonna try them asap. Can you list some specific instructions for the oil of oregano please? Wanna make sure I do it safely/correctly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.