BV will not go away! HELP!

Posted , 29 users are following.

5 months ago I started dating someone new. The first few weeks that we started having unprotected sex, everything was fine. 7 weeks ago I started noticing a terrible smell after sex. (Super embarrassing)

I made myself a doctors appointment to get checked. I'm STD/HIV free but I was positive for Bacterial Vaginosis. 

I was first put on Metronidazole (Flagyl) and got zero results. The next antibiotic was Tinidazole, didn't help either. I was just prescribed Metronidazole Gel and was told to insert it for 7 days before bedtime. (Tonight being my first night)

TO GET TO THE POINT! 

Has anyone had this happen?  I won't even have sex with my partner because of the smell. (TMI)

I'm extremely frustrated that nothing is working. 

Any advice!? 

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had a similar situation happen to me. My new partner and I were exclusively using condoms for about 2 months and then as we started to become more serious decided to forego them and have unprotected sex. The first several times we had sex everything was fine minus the fact that I would get UTI's everytime after we had sex, no matter what. 

After that first time of having unprotected sex I started to notice the increase in vaginal fluids during sex only, I thought it was just me but eventually 2 months later we were having sex and I started to notice an odor during sex. I stopped immediately and the next day went to my doctor and tested positive for BV. I've had it before 8 months earlier so I already know. I used the same intravaginal gel that you're using but only for 5 days. It worked really well and got rid of the odor both times, the only draw back is you'll have this clumpy, white matter come out when you pee or even during sex. So I'd wait a few days after finishing the meds for it all to leave your body. 

I suggested to my boyfriend that we start using condoms again because it seems like it could be his sperm that is throwing off the ph of my vagina. Needless to say we didn't end up using condoms again and last weekend we had unprotected sex again and so far I haven't noticed anything different. I'm trying to take care of my internal health now more so, drinking more water, cutting out sugar & alcohol, I'm taking probiotics, and after sex have used these vaginal suppositories that are meant to rebalance your vagina and get rid of odor. So I'm going to try this for awhile and see how it goes. I haven't had a UTI in a few weeks so I'm hoping things are starting to get better. If not then it's back to the doctor and back to using condoms. I hope this helped!

• Edited

Most doctors won't test men & I firmly believe that they are carriers. With that being said, find a doctor that will listen to you & that will give him an antibiotic for it as well. It's been said that mean can carry the BV bacteria in their urethra, therefore if he ejaculates inside of you or if there is precum it may trigger an infection. He could be inadvertently passing it on to you. In the meantime, I suggest that you start using condoms & make sure you pee after every sexual encounter. I do mean every single one as it helps flush the vaginal canal after intercourse. Make him wear a condom!!!

• Posted

I've discovered this to be true about men passing this stuff to us....my partner was reinfecting me after every single encounter. Once I figured this out, I ended it because he refused treatment due to what he read online about men not being carriers. Needless to say I moved on, and I have a healthy sexual relationship with someone else and we've not had any BV problems. Im starting to wonder if these doctors won't test and treat men because of the money to be made off of all these medicines and over the counter treatments. 

• Edited

I totally agree! I do think it is passed through unprotected sex and men are carriers! It is so sad that the CDC/health departments etc. probably knows this and continue to just hand out gems and antibiotics to only the women! I have tried every pill imaginable for fighting bacteria and the gel, NOTHING works. I have remained abstinent as the odor is too unbearable for sex. It started a few weeks after I had unprotected sex with someone new a couple times, now it won't go away. When I was in a relationship for 4 years, me and my partner NEVER used condoms and I had no issues. When that ended, and I had my first "hook up", shortly after BV ! There is NO DOUBT men carry it. 

• Posted

Hi There Ladies

I'm having issues and want to know if anyone is Having this symptom.   I was diagnosed with a yeast infection and bacterial vaginitis .. I was treated with diflucan two pills and metro gel ..I have a burning Sensation that i have had before starting the medicine .. I don't know if I still have the bv or something else going on...I also have this issue with developing sebaceous cysts on my vulgar ... I don't know if I have vaginal dryness and this is causing the burning ...any advice I'm at my wits end 

• Edited

I'm so miserable. I've had it for years. I would take Flagyl and Metro something medicine and it would go away in three days. This time around with my new partner it's been almost 2 weeks and it won't go away. I can't believe this. I'm miserable. I'm too embarrassed to have sex. I need my sex life back. God help us .

• Edited

Women do not urinate from their vaginal canals.

BV is an overgrowth of a bacteria normally found present in the vagina. A man cannot be a 'carrier' of something you already have inside of you. What a man can do, is throw the PH balance in your vagina off, allowing the bacteria to overpopulate and take over the other kinds of bacteria that are also supposed to live in there.

To anyone reading this, looking for a solution, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, coconut oil and borax. These WORK.

They do.

Good luck.

• Posted

hey i am exactly the same! was with my partner for a while and we broke up for a few months last year and i was drunk and had a one night stand and my partner and i got back together in January this year and ive tried to get rid of it and i cant i hate having sex with my partner of 2 years its embarassing and i an scared that hes gonna be put off me because of it!

• Posted

I had a terrible problem with this about 20 years ago...The condom leaked slightly and within 2 days I had all the symptoms you can imagine. I thought it was Gonorrhea but all tests were negative except for BV. This was my 1st time at a clinic. I went away and took the Metronidazole and thought that would be the end of it. I was wrong!

For the next 6 months I was plagued by this problem which all the drs said was NOT sexually transmitted. probably had about 8 courses of metronidazole plus other ones they tried me on. I had cervicitus and the examinations were so painful they made me cry. They just kept saying men don't get BV but I said this is definitely sexually transmitted as sex caused all this in the first place! I think in men it presents as urethritis and they carry the bacteria (I have discovered there are at least 5) and pass to women. There is such a high recurrence when going back to the same partner you 'd think they would know that it's transmitted. Anyway, what ended it all for me was giving up sex for around 6 months and I have not had BV even once in 20 years!!! I would love to go back and tell all the drs because they told me its caused by change of partner. I also still enjoy hot baths and use whatever washing powder I want. I have had 4 pregnancies. Pregnancy does not cause BV. Having unprotected sex with an infected partner does.

• Posted

I'll try these options, yet I've had BV since my ex and i separated in 2019 and have been treated with metro gel at a 5 day dosage and then the twice weekly for 6 months and it does not stay away. I've not had sex since May 2019 because of it. I pray your recommendation works.

• Posted

did you just give up sex with that same partner for 6 months ?? did you change partners after before or during those 6 months and did you not test or treat your partner at all ?? general questions im asking just tryna find a cure for myself

• Posted

do you have any recipes on how to use these products please i have had bv on and off all my life im 47 now

• Edited

Wow our stories are the exact same almost. I have been battling BV for 5 months as well and tried those same three meds. I also switched to cotton undies and wearing no underwear at night to let it air out. I haven't had sex because of the embarrassing odor.. and I am extremely depressed about it and I can smell it in a car, when I'm at a dinner table, in a room with others socializing, etc. I'm seeing people on here that have it for years and I seriously cannot live like this... I feel your pain, I would suggest using boric acid vaginal suppositories for two weeks at bedtime, taking a probiotic daily, eating yogurt with lactobacillus in it, and changing underwear twice a day. Also when showering don't use any fragrant soaps use dove and don't use loofahs they hold bacteria. :-( i.e. Tried it all and nothing is working for me, but everyone is different! Don't give up. 

Best of luck!! And your not alone. 

• Posted

Ok so I want to put this out there to help you guys. You don't have to try it but it does help a lot. So I had BV for 4 years, treated it with antibiotics and then as soon as I was off of it, it would come right back. Anyways I haven't had BV in over a year and still with the same guy so I figure I can tell you what i did and then you can try. So I took hydrogen peroxide and I would fill an entire doche bottle with it. I wouldn't dilute it bc I tried that a few times and I felt it wasn't doing the trick. I did this a lot so I know it doesn't harm ur vagina down there so don't worry. Even my doc said my vagina looks normal, but if u want to dilute, go ahead. Then after douching, I took boric acid supplements and dipped them in coconut oil. That's bc after douching with peroxide your pretty dry, and boric acid makes u more dry so the coconut oil gives you moisture, plus it has good results for BV. But I did this for a week, every night and then I waited. Also, I had my doc call in a prescription for antibiotics for bv only to give to my husband bc no one would treat him so I took care of that. I got to a point after 4 yrs that all I had to do was call my doctor bc coming in was a waste of time bc we both knew I had it. Any ways it's been a year and I just got my yearly and no bv. No symptoms this entire year. It could have been from my husband taking the antibiotic, which he only took 2 of them or that simple thing I did for a week. But that did in fact cure my bv. I have tried all three of them separately prior but it would only be a temporary fix, never lasted. Peroxide is really good if you just want a day of relief. Seriously. I would do it right before sex and add a little coconut oil for mositure and have no smell or discharge. At that point I thought I was going to live with it for life so I just did what I could to have a normal sex life. I hope you guys try it. I'm not selling anything. I'm 100% human and that is exactly what worked for me. Good luck.

• Posted

so drink the boric acid supplement or insert it?

i want to try this tonight im also going on 5 months with this

• Posted

I took vitamin c with rose hips and a womans probiotic and it completely keeps mine away. going on a year clear. No meds or anything helped it until the vitamins. you can double up the vit C the first 2-3 days. drink plenty of water.

• Posted

i inserted it you can bathe with it also but make sure the tub is very sanitizer i bleached mine clean first

anyway i dont use this method anymore at all because it is more to manage symptoms than a cure

i cured it mostly for good now by changing my diet to avoid lots of carbs and sugar and I use wet wipes instead of toilet paper and coconut oil inserted which is much more pleasant than boric acid

sometimes on my period it comes back for a day or two and i clear it easily inserting coconut oil and stopping sugar

good luck i know it can be a nightmare

• Posted

people dipped tampons in coconut oil then insert it inside the vagina 😃

• Posted

I'm really comfortable touching my body and I just use my fingers but you can use any method that feels comfortable for you.

Still stand by my method all these years later

To manage symptoms for -now- bathing with borox, inserting coconut oil, peroxide can take away the smell and itch

to keep it away for ever;

Stop or limit eating sugary and high carb foods, (you will learn how much your body can and cannot tolerate through trial and error)

drink water

consume foods with bacterial cultures like kefir and kimchi, and kombucha. I have a few sips of kefir and a few of kombucha every day.

dont use chemicals or soaps anywhere near your vagina,

coconut oil inserted before and after sex (but understand it should not be used with a condom, it could break down the material of the condom and render it useless)

always pee after sex,

I use a bidet now No tp, no wet wipes.. Just rinse with water

Limit food with preservatives - if its killing bacteria that rots our food more quickly, it is certainly also killing the bacteria we need in our gut

The human Body is a vehicle to support the life of bacteria.. BV and yeast infections are an imbalance of what we need for optimum health,

Antibiotics kill off what we need, that's why they don't work long term-

thye bacteria dies,and then grows back with the same imbalance as before if you don't change your habits

we want bacteria, they are not our enemy if there is a smell and an itch you have not been taking care of your bacteria properly, and you need to nurture it., lol sounds kind of silly but thats the truth to getting your vagina back

best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.