BV will not go away! HELP!

Posted , 29 users are following.

5 months ago I started dating someone new. The first few weeks that we started having unprotected sex, everything was fine. 7 weeks ago I started noticing a terrible smell after sex. (Super embarrassing)

I made myself a doctors appointment to get checked. I'm STD/HIV free but I was positive for Bacterial Vaginosis. 

I was first put on Metronidazole (Flagyl) and got zero results. The next antibiotic was Tinidazole, didn't help either. I was just prescribed Metronidazole Gel and was told to insert it for 7 days before bedtime. (Tonight being my first night)

TO GET TO THE POINT! 

Has anyone had this happen?  I won't even have sex with my partner because of the smell. (TMI)

I'm extremely frustrated that nothing is working. 

Any advice!? 

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

once your infection has cleared up then tell your doctor it's back (even tho it's not) & most likely they'll call in the rx for you, give that rx to your partner. If he refuses to take it then leave him!  

• Posted

So this is super super TMI but this morning I was going to the bathroom and felt this pressure down below, as if something were coming out of me.  I reach for it and it turns out it was a tampon. I did some reading about situations similar, so I know I'm not alone but I'm so grossed out! I don't know how I let this happen, or how long. I'm hoping this was the cause of testing positive for BV. 

On the plus side ever sense I started the Metro gel, the smell is completely gone. 

The first day I started it, I also started taking Vitamin C, Biotin, and Probiotics with Prebiotic & Cranberry. 

My fingers are crossed that everything stays this way! 

• Posted

If I were you, I'd go back to the doctor to make sure you don't have any remaining cotton fibers left inside

• Posted

I have literally been going through this for several months, and I do not know what to do anymore. I have tried absolutely everything under the sun and nothing has made my BV go away. The itching, the burning, the scratching (I literally cannot help not scratching it's insane) I have gone to the doctors so many times and I am negative for everything and positive for BV. This is beyond depressing me as my boyfriend and I are looking to have a baby soon, and really want to work on trying but I can't. If anyone at all knows of anything please help. I can't take this anymore I am losing my mind. 

• Posted

Everyone is different, I have no burning or itching. I did however have horrible fishy odor, causing me to have no sex life. Your partner is probably carrying it and infecting you. Doctors are giving women antibiotics to treat it and it's still not working!! I do think men carry it, many others do too. I would try to use condoms or stay abstinent and see if it gets any better. Good luck to you! I know it's hard, you just have to find what's best for you. Try taking probiotics and eating live culture yogurt, (chobani).  

• Posted

Another thing ladies, THONGS & G-STRINGS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS!!! that little bit of cloth in between your butt cheeks has the ability to transfer bacteria from the anus to the vagina! 

• Posted

Very true! I switched to boy shorts cotton only no latex or nylon! 
  • Posted

I know this was 7 months ago but did you ever get your BV resolved? I'm experiencing something similar and want to know that there is hope that a medicine will work. Desperate!

• Posted

Hello, 

Thought I’d share my story too and hope it may help some other women out there as BV is the devil! Aug 2013 I had underwent surgery for an ablation and permanent sterilization “essure” also the devil (do not get it!) research essure problems on fb, anyways after my first cycle following surgery I noticed the usual (unknown to me at the time) symptoms. Foul odor, thick grayish discharge, bleached panties, burning, itching, rawness. I immediately suspected a yeast infection. No treatments worked so I made a drs appt. he diagnosed me with BV. He also did all STD tests and all came back negative. At the time I had no clue what BV was and trusted that antibiotics would work. They didn’t, time after time while I was on the antibiotics they would relieve the symptoms and then 1-2 weeks following meds all symptoms returned. Here we are nearly 5 years later and guess what I still have this devil infection! I’ve taken flagyl, clyndomyacin, the gel and nothing has gotten rid of it. I’ve tried every home ready except for garlic and tea tree oil. None of it completely gets rid of it! So last week I was researching as usual. My goal is to fix the problem not the symptoms. I found that among many of the bacteria there’s one that’s called Ureaplasa. It’s symptoms are similar to BV except this type of bacteria does not have a cell wall and hides in other cells (like BVS gardella sp?) And is resistant to normal antibiotics. So I went to my reg. Dr Monday asked for the script of doxycycline. I’m currently on day four and symptoms are subsiding. I’m praying this is a miracle antibiotic as it is NOT in the same family as the three I’ve been given over and over! The dr has agreed that if it works on me he will also call in a script for my husband as men must be treated for this bacteria as well! It is passed back and forth although not an std simply a bad bacteria! I’m not a dr I’m just a woman trying to find anything that still keeps hope in the fact I can finally be rid of BV forever! Research ureaplasa. I will do my best to update with results so long as I can find this page again! I also plan to start taking fish oil(contains vitD), magnesium, and iron as all three deficiencies are correlated with BV since on a molecular level these minerals are needed to feed and produce the good flora bacteria!  Hugs to all! I know this pain all to well sad 

• Posted

Boric acid suppositories ladies it helped me 
    • Posted

I tried those and it didn’t seem to help me just caused a lot of discharge during the work day and just changed the odor to a more pungent one. 
  • Posted

CLINDESSE! CLINDESSE! CLINDESSE! Please ask your doctors to prescribe Clindesse. It is a one time use cream filled applicator. It's expensive but there is a coupon on their website you can print off to use for like 75% off. This is the only thing that has EVER worked for me. I suffered with BV for 3 years. Tried every home method & prescribed drug. Nothing ever worked until my doctor gave me a sample of Clindesse when it was a new product. Finally something worked! I had a yeast infection from hell after but once that cleared I was BV free for 1.5 years. Took it again & was good for a year. Now I'm dealing with BV again & my doc prescribed metronidazole. I know its not going to go away with this. Once i complete metro I'm going to ask for Clindesse. It is the absolute best method for total BV relief for long periods.

• Posted

boric acid is a life line for me.

my bv comes back a week after using boric acid but it gives me confidence when I'm in public like at my hairdressers .

I've to get my boric acid from America its pharmaceutical grade .

I tested negative for bv at the clinic my inside tunnel doesn't smell but between my vagina and my butt does smell .

I get my bv symptoms during the night so in the morning I smell bv .

these doctors giving us negative results for bv angers me cuz we all know we've symptoms even with a negative result .

I've tried it all medication suppositories change of routine nothing works so I use boric few times a week or if I'm not going out I'll leave using it .

• Posted

Going through the same thing for years!! So embarrassing. You can smell it through my clothes! I bathe daily and been with the same man. I also can't smell myself but people around me make it clear I smell like fish! I've been on every prescription and tried every home remedy, nothing seems to work. I just what to be normal again! Prayers for everyone going through this bc I know your pain. Doctors give us antibiotics knowing it's not going to work! Terrible 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.