BVVP

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had this condition for about 10 years now and have learnt to live with it as I know what triggers it off. I have had various treatments but nothing really worked. My main trigger is lying on my back. I am alright on my right side and reasonable on my left, but if I lie on my back it is really bad and my whole body jerks,sometimes the attacks last for a couple of days, fortunately for me I have an understanding dentist and hairdresser. I now have to have an MRI scan for a different complaint and wonder if anyone had an tips or advice for me. When I spoke with my surgeon about this he said that was too bad and I would have to find away to deal with it but I really don't know how and this is adding to the anxiety that I already have.

If anybody else has this same trigger point I would really appreciate their help urgently as I go for the scan on Wednesday 23rd October 2013.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry, I don't have any good advice. Does your bppv come staright after lying on your back or can some time pass. I was thinking maybe you had a chance to get home. I never thought off triggers, but now that you mention it, my three episodes have always come after sleeping on my right, but not right away in the morning, but the day after... i usually sleep on my left.... Hope this will work out for you!!
    • Posted

I usually suffer after I get up in the morning. After walking around today I did start to suffer but found when I laid on my left it passed very quickly. I do have problems with my left ear (due to loud bangs etc) and doctors think it could be related. I am determined not to let this stop me from getting to the Reading v Ipswich match very soon.
  • Posted

I had 3 small bouts which were of short duration.  The first triggered by being on a sail boat for a week.  The second two after a change of seasons.  These went away on their own in a few weeks.  The last bout I had I woke up with.  It was much more sever than the others.  The doctor said it was caused by the crystals in my ears moving out of place.  She did the Epley but it didn't work on me.  I was afraid to drive as it got worse if I turned my head.  It also got worse if I got up from laying down or bending over.  I am lucky in that although it lasted almost a year, it did slowly improve and eventually it went away.  I am very careful still now about about not rapidly moving my head, but I have been fine for almost 2 years now.  There is physcial therapy for balance that I did.  I also tried antivert and Bonine.  It really just took time and I guess my body eventually took care of the crystals.  Think positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.