Bypass 30th Mar - v nervous

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, 1st day on here.  Dont want to discuss with friends and family or work colleagues.  Have told work I'm getting galstones out! Really nervous.  Did anyone worry that they will never be able to eat normally again????? As most of our social life is spent eating out or round at friends and on holiday feel a bit depressed that I will never be able to do this again!!.  I know its the right decision but still........

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi spider

I had mine done on 6th feb and am fine had hardly any pain and have felt well since I had mine done have had 3days where I have felt sick but considering they pull you about didn't think that was bad.

I have been out to eat with family and friends just as I did before takes more thinking about but feel that I still lead a normal life. I told my friends and family so they knew what was happening and they didn't like the idea but still supported me,

I am nearly 5weeks out and am starting normal food today which seem to be tolerating well I hope this helps with your fears and nerves

Mand xx

• Posted

hi mand, thank you for your comments.  I think it's just nerves getting to me.  It's good to know you are eating so well so soon and that you have not encountered much discomfort or pain either - way to go.  Can I ask if you have lost any weight or how much you were hoping to achieve? K x
    • Posted

Hi spider

I have lost 27 and half pounds since I had it done five weeks today not sure about having a goal more a size I like to be about a 14-16 and am well on my way as I tryed on an 18 yesterday and they fitted whoop whoop

Couldn't believe it

I will say the only thing I worried about was transition between each level after but didn't need to as it's been fine I hope this helps

Mand xx

• Posted

Hi Spidereyes, I'm due to have the gastric sleeve on 31st March. I understand where you are coming from, it's the right decision to have the surgery but you then don't want to feel completely different from anyone else and still want to enjoy life!!!! I know of someone who had the gastric band and she eats normal for her. I think what you will find harder is that you have made the decision not to tell family etc you don't want it to be obvious that you are doing things differently. Once I am able to go onto food that is solid, I have decided that if I go out for a meal with family, friends etc that I will order a starter or two and ask for them to be brought out with the mains. Ensuring that I can only eat what I can but still enjoy a meal out. Good luck with your surgery. 
    • Posted

Hi Molly,

Yes I think thats what I will do too.  I dont want to tell family as I know they will try to disuade me from having the op, especially my parents.  My friends I think its an embaressment thing, and of course them being judgmental! A lot of people believe surgery is the easy way out!! But it certainly isn't!!  Anyway it will be pretty obvious after a few months wont it!!  I wish you all the best with yours too, stay positive xx

• Posted

Hi I had my bypass on 9 December in Liverpool, I've lost 2.12 St and feel great! I went for a Spa Weekend for my step daughters hen weekend, I was dreading eating in the restaurant in front of everyone, but it was fine! I managed a bit of pâté and salad leaves (no bread) then I had salmon on bed of risotto, and for breakfast I had a cooked English breakfast and just had a little taste of everything! The only think I'm finding difficult is not drinking whilst eating . You will me fine just eat small portions slowly and stop eating as soon as you feel pressure that extra mouthful is terrible if you ignore what your tummy is telling you x good luck it will be worth it 😄 off to Pilates class now and can sit on floor and touch my toes now!!!! Lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.