C.I.C problem, help badly needed

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am looking for some urgent advice

I started doing Cic 2 days ago, and although I have been methodicly clean I now have an infection, I have been to the doctor this afternoon and been given trimethoprin, however I can only pee about 25ml without the cath at the moment, I assume thats because my urethra is swollen, I have had a bit of blood through the cath yeasterday moning and this morning and also when I was shown how to do it at the hospital.

Am I safe to try self cath again ?, I would imagine it's going to be a bit painfull, but I really don't want to go to hospital.

Opinions please would be much appreciated, I am getting very stressed about this.

Any advice greatly received

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Need to get ahold of jimjames
    • Posted

Yes that is a good idea.  JIMjames is the best to tell you all the right information.  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

You don't say why you are doing CIC - how do you know the infection was caused by CIC ? Before you did CIC how much could you pee ?

I know the blood can be scary, I am guessing it's from the prostate - just do the CIC carefully, use plenty of lube or the ones pre lubed. After you get better at doing it you won't see blood. Without knowing all the details I am sure it's safe as long as you use the correct technique. When you insert and get to the point where you have to push it through take a few deep breaths that can help - if you use coude tip catheter make sure the tip is facing up. what position are you in when you do the self cath ? Standing or lying down ?

If you are swollen inside you can try taking Aleve gel caps, but as always consult with your physician.

• Posted

I assume you use plenty of lube.  When you encounter the sphincter, if there's resistance, I found that jiggleing the cath while applying very slight pressure (not painful) would cause the sphincter to relax so I could proceed with the insertion.  Patience and trying to relax a bit helps.

• Posted

And I would add, do it before the bladder gets uncomfortably full.  Bladder discomfort doesn't help the process.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone

I am self cathing because I retain about 350ml due to an enlarged prostate, on my own I generally pee 200ml, I have lived with it for a lot of years but it's slowly getting worse but I have never had an infection in all those years except the one I caught after a cystoscopy 20 odd years ago.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that I get an infection after all this time 2 days after I started self cathing

Getting it in today was much harder than last night and there was more blood, I also have very tiny bits in my urine.

I am doing this whilst the urologst finds out if PAE is suitable for a prostate my size.

• Posted

if you have an infection, from my experience, the symptoms are burning when you pee, frequency and urgency. Let's say you did CIC and scraped the prostate to cause blood - that would explain perhaps the bits of "scab" just like any wound. I think that happened to me, and it did hurt a bit the next few times I did CIC and a couple of times it seemed like there was a lot of blood - bear in mind it looks worse than it is - eventually it will heal - that's why I say take an Aleve to reduce the inflammation and pain. You might have an infection, but the antibiotics should take care of that in a day or two.

By the way PAE works for some but I had it twice and it failed miserably - I believe it's hit or miss, it didn't work for me - check out forums for FLA and Rezum. Private message me if you want.

The main thing about CIC for me, try to relax take your time don't rush it - take deep breaths. Imagine how much worse it would be to rush to the emergency room and have them put an indwelling catheter - self cath is a breeze in comparison.

• Posted

Mike,

You had a much easier time with CIC than many. I had a horrible first few weeks, much worse than scraggs, and yet it all fell within the "normal" break in period. I was gentle, tried to relax, did all the things you and I recommend, but the truth is that some people's bodies just take a few weeks to adjust and I think that's all that is happening to scraggs.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

It's true, but I think it was partly because I had the Foley in for 7 weeks so I was very motivated to make it work. Also I guess whoever taught me was good.

It's early days for scraggs - I really think relaxing is important, knowing it's OK because the unknown is terrifying. I admire you Jim despite what they told you and it being so horrible you persisted and proved them wrong - you should write a book about it !

Mike

• Posted

I am standing when I do it, atm I am having to do a diary of what I pee naturally and what I get using the cath after I have peed, so trying to get it into the pot.
  • Posted

Hi Scraggs,

Blood is very common the first several weeks of self cathing (CIC) and I would not be concerned at all. Your body will soon get used to the process and visible bleeding for the most part should stop. UTI's also frequently happen in the very beginning, it did with me. Just  have it treated adequately by a urologist (GPs tend to under treat UTIs) and make sure they do a culture to make sure that the antibiotic chosen is the right one. 

So, yes, perfectly safe to keep cathing, in fact very important to keep self cathing because of your UTI and also for the reasons you started in the first place which I assume was retention?

Other than blood and UTIs, other things to expect the first couple of weeks would be what is termed "false urgency" meaning you may feel you need to urinate when you actually don't need to. Also, you could get some pain and spasms. Again, these are all normal the first few weeks but of course if anything becomes overly concerning, contact your doctor. 

What catheter are you using? How many times a day are you cathing? Are you doing a void log? If not, you should start one at least for now.

Also, if you can share a little about your history and what led you to self cathing in the first place.

Jim

• Posted

I am using lofric origo, they gave me 12fr and 14fr to see which was best for me.

I am supposed to do 3 times a day but My job means I can really only cleanly do 2 a day, but they were ok with that rather than risk getting an infection.

It apears we can't get the coude tip here, unles it has another name but I have asked for some coloplast samples to see how I get on with them.

I suppose the blood is scaring me.

• Posted

The Origo I believe IS a coude catheter. The others I mentioned are made by Coloplast. If you're good with the Origo, stay with it, if you want to experiment the others are what I'd suggest. Which works better the 12 or 14?

Who are "they", your doctors? Any doctor who is OK with you cathing 1200ml at a time doesn't know squat about self cathing. Sorry. 

As to doing it "clean" or not, people cath outside the home and in public bathrooms all the time. Just need the right technique. Also, you are more likely to get a UTI from carrying around large volumes of stagnant urine than you are from cathing in a public bathroom. Another reason I don't think your doctors understand self cathing. 

Lastly, again the blood is perfectly normal the first several weeks. Didn't your doctor or nurse tell you that?

Jim

• Posted

Scraggs,

I must apologize. There is another fellow new to CIC who posted today and I confused your histories a little. He was holding 1.5 liters of urine and I now realize your retention is only 350 with a 200 natural void. So please edit my comments in your head with that in mind. 

But still, the principle is the same. Try and limit your total bladder volume(natural void plus CIC)  to under 400ml if you possibly can. If you're planning on PAE anyway, and if you go a little over 400 probably no big deal in your case since your natural voids are somewhat decent compared to others. 

The back thing is also probably just your body getting used to CIC. BTW you were unsure before if you were using a coude tip with the Origo. You do realize that the bent tip of the Origo has a "right way" and a "wrong way" to insert it. VERY important.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks for your replies Jim, very helpfull and you have put my mind at rest

I wasn't shown a right or wrong way, just how to insert it, I will have to look it up.

I have just used a 14fr and it was fine until I got to the prostate, but no blood this time.

This time I peed 50ml naturaly and 450 through the cath.

Again I really can't thank yourself everyone enough for making me feel much more at ease with it.

• Posted

Check your private messages in a few minutes. I'll PM you a picture showing correct coude tip orientation. Not sure on the Origo, but on my coude there is a guide bump on the plastic funnel that would face my belly if I was cathing standing up facing the toilet with my penis extended upward toward the ceiling.

Jim

• Posted

The tip must point up towards the belly button and kept in that alignment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.