C.I.C problem, help badly needed

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am looking for some urgent advice

I started doing Cic 2 days ago, and although I have been methodicly clean I now have an infection, I have been to the doctor this afternoon and been given trimethoprin, however I can only pee about 25ml without the cath at the moment, I assume thats because my urethra is swollen, I have had a bit of blood through the cath yeasterday moning and this morning and also when I was shown how to do it at the hospital.

Am I safe to try self cath again ?, I would imagine it's going to be a bit painfull, but I really don't want to go to hospital.

Opinions please would be much appreciated, I am getting very stressed about this.

Any advice greatly received

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I do seem to also get the weirdest feeling in my back passage when I do it, which is very uncomfortable
  • Posted

Should be no reason to get a UTI... everything is clean and sterile.    

If you are using your hand to assist feeding the cath into the urethra, then that can be a problem.     Perhaps you are overdoing it with the sterile and thing...?    Def continue to cath tho.   Got to keep that bladder empty!

• Posted

The origo has a tube that slides down the cath so you don't have to touch it

• Posted

Hi, Scraggs,

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are already off to a good start with CIC. It sounds like your urethra could be swollen, and it will take a little time for things to settle down.

When I started CIC I also had blood in my urine. My urethra was swollen from 3 months of having a Foley catheter in and from a UTI. As some of the guys on this forum know, it took me several months to master self cathing. You're far a head of where I started. Just remember to be gentle--don't rush and don't force anything. If you're experiencing a lot of pain during a CIC, try a new catheter. Sometimes when your urethra is swollen, small manufacturing defects a catheter can make it painful.

I now use LoFric Origo coude tip FR 14s and alternate them with Speedicath FR 12s. When starting out, I discovered that the lubricant on Origos stayed wet a lot longer than the Speedicath. And when I started that was important because it would take me a long time to complete a cath.

For more CIC tips, do a search for another thread on this forum about self catherization as an alternative. JimJames started that thread, and it has great information on CIC.

Drinking a lot of water and passing it will help get you through this UTI. I'd suggest cathing 4 to 6 times a day. My schedule is to do it about every 3 to 4 hrs. Sometimes travel or work schedules can get in the way, but try to plan ahead. It's great that you are able to void some on your own. Keep a CIC log. It will provide you with good information so you can adjust your CIC program.

Also when starting, it's important to learn to relax. Early on I associated CIC with pain--and I'd dread each CIC. I learned to relax by taking deep, easy breaths. Whenever I caught myself holding my breath or, for example, tensing my buttocks during CIC, I'd tell myself to relax and focus on my breathing. Muscles can't remain tense when you're exhaling, so I would gently advance the catheter on my exhales.

Stebrunner

• Posted

I would just like to thank everyone who replied to this thread.

I would have been very scared without your advice.

I would have thought these were things that really should have been discussed with me when I was shown how to do it.

• Posted

Today I have had quite long lengths of what appears to be congealed blood in my urine, is that to be expected ?
    • Posted

Yes, it's normal in the beginning and most visible bleeding should stop after a few weeks. Also keep in mind that you're also recovering from a UTI. You may also experience false urgency, frequency, and some pain. Again, all normal in the beginning. 

I know it must seem discouraging right now since you feel like you're going backwards but you aren't. With a little time and patience, your body will get used to the process and soon will feel as normal as brushing your teeth. 

In your case, you're very lucky that you caught things in time with a PVR of 350ml. I wish I started CIC then instead of waiting, like most, until my PVR was over 1000. 

By starting now, you're accomplishing several things. First, you will stop your bladder from stretching any more. Second, you will potentially start the process of decompressing/healing your bladder. Third, you will cut down the number of UTIs by emptying your bladder completely by getting rid of stagnant urine. And probably most important, you will be protecting your kidneys.

In order to accomplish the first two things, above, you will want to adjust your catheter schedule to keep total bladder volumes under 400ml. Your total bladder volume is the sum of any natural void plus the volume of the subsequent catherized void. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors skip this very important instruction and that's because most of them only use CIC as a stop gap procedure before a surgery or procedure and therefore don't care and/or believe in bladder rehabiltation.

Jim

• Posted

Listen to jim he knows alot. Im in the hospital now. Only peed 1x in 24 hours did a bunch of test. Put me on flomax to see if it helps. I will not be onit long. Dont like the side effect. Take care all
    • Posted

Hi Ken, are you in lockup (AUR) ? What happened ? It's time to take out the catheter. Hope you get better soon. Hank.

• Posted

Dont know what there going to to put me on flomax anf im. Drinking alot of water. They keep asking me if i need to peed donnt feel like it. I went this morning at 8 and took to pill all ready. I think if i dont go by tonight yhere going to put a catheter in. Take care. Ken
    • Posted

Ask them to do an ultrasound to see how much is in your bladder. If it's too much I would cath ASAP, before your bladder is stretched out. A loose Urolift tack, perhaps ? Take care. Hank

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Sorry about what is going on. If you need any info on CIC, just send me a PM. It will be a quick fix until things sort out and many tolerate it better than a Foley.

Jim

• Posted

I second Hank. Have them do a simple office bladder scan to check for PVR if they haven't already. If you're retaining too much, a temporary Foley or CIC may be in order to protect your bladder. Personally, I'd ask for prophylactic antibiotics before either a short term Foley or CIC, regardless of their protocol. 

Jim

• Posted

They did a bladder scan and there was only 100 also did a ultrasound of my bladder and kindeys. Still pain on right side. Thanks ken
    • Posted

Thanks jim. Don't know what there going to do if i dont pee we will see tonight.  They may just put one in to see if it will stop the pain. Ken

• Posted

Just quick put it and take it out. I know it feel better when it comes out. Ken
    • Posted

I assume they did bloodwork and are planning on more advanced imaging in the event you don't start voiding soon? It could be a urinary tract obstruction and you want to find out the cause ASAP.

Jim

• Posted

PS I don't see inserting a catheter as much of a plan if your kidneys aren't dumping urine into the bladder. 

• Posted

Thats true. We will see the pee i gave them at 8am no infection its 13 hours not a drop. Ken
    • Posted

Hi, Ken,

Are they checking you for a kidney stone? Will that show up on an ultrasound? Hope they get it figured out soon!

Stebrunner

• Posted

I guess it will they have not told me any thing only sae the doctor once. I put a call in to my doctor next door to his office. They been giving me a paim med never heard of it. Tovad ol. ( ketorolac )  its giving to patients after surgery thank you. Ken
    • Posted

My non professional take is that if you're not dehydrated, and not voiding, and you don't have retention (100 PVR) -- then something is either wrong with your kidneys or there is an obstruction between the kidneys and bladder which needs to be pinpointed with imaging. 

Jim

• Posted

Given your side pain, are they looking for stones?
    • Posted

That may be true. I throught it could me my stricture but thatt is just before the prostate it hurts on the right side.  Ken
    • Posted

They may. Had them years ago. I was thinking bladder. Stones. Ken
    • Posted

We will see i hate taking it. Was on it once before. Still no urge to go. Time will tell. Ken
    • Posted

Only 100cc. Have you been eating lots of salty foods recently ? Did you have diarrhea recently ? Hank
    • Posted

Ken, you are not going to have urges to go with only 100cc in your bladder. The question is why only 100cc. Hank
    • Posted

Don't know where it is. Did have iv fluid yesterday. Legs not swollen. Then keep asking. 

• Posted

A ha. Don't know about the pain. But the runs can explain your low urine volume,  especially if you did not replenish your liquid quickly enough.  Hank

• Posted

Thanks. Thay have been making me drink alot. But time will tell. Thanks guys

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.