Cabergoline causing restless leg syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience with cabergoline causing restless leg syndrome?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had all of these. But I've read some people have none. I had my tumor removed 3 years ago and that was the best thing for me.

Less serious side effects may include:

nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, gas, indigestion, constipation;

headache, depressed mood;

dizziness, spinning sensation;

drowsiness, nervousness;

hot flashes;

numbness or tingly feeling (RESTLESS LEG); or.

dry mouth.

• Posted

so you mean if the medication does not work.they do surgery?

• Posted

hello joneziii. thank you for responding. are you saying that while you were on cabergoline you experience restless leg syndrome? how long did it take for the restless leg syndrome to go away?have you experienced any side effects since you had your surgery?

• Posted

I would take it before bed to have less side effects. but if I was unable to fall asleep I would have restless legs, I would feel high and be very light headed and dizzy. normally the next day I'd feel dizzy and and forgetful. I could only handle taking it once a week. my doctor wanted me to 3 times a week. but my experience with side effects were too strong. it did shrink the tumor. it works well for what it is. but I decided to have surgery. recovery was slow for me. about 4 months. but I am sensitive to everything I've learned. now I am back to normal. no anxiety meds normal periods able to loose weight and best of all I have my memory back to normal

• Posted

thanks for replying jonziii. I just started experiencing the restless leg syndrome 2 weeks ago. I am stopping my cabergoline today as I can't take it. my dose was increased to one tablet twice a week April 9th. since I'm stopping the drug today I'm wondering how long will it take for the restless leg syndrome to go away. any idea how long it will take for this side effect to stop once you discontinue the medicine?

• Posted

I wouldn't recommend stopping. maybe ask your doctor to lower it? when I stopped mine my tumor grew 150 % larger than it was. be careful. I would discuss lowering it and your options for surgery. ask what the success rates are for the medication completely eradicating it? everyone reacts different. I can't remember how long it took for the restless legs to go away. I would only take one pill once a week and have restless legs for a day or two.

• Posted

thanks thanks for responding I was on a half a tablet twice a week for about nine years and didn't have a problem everything started when they increased it. I will talk to my endocrinologist on Monday and see what he has to say. is restless leg syndrome is horrible along with the creepy crawly feeling. maybe I can go back to the original dose of a half tablet twice a week and see if I can get the levels down to the point where I can stop taking it.

• Posted

Hello I was wondering if you had any advice for me. it's now been three weeks since I've been off the medication and I'm having this god-awful internal tremor. My endocrinologist wants me to go back on at the lowest dose but I'm afraid to. I wonder if I go back on at the lowest dose if this internal tremor will go away. the endocrinologist and my primary care doctor are being very vague and not really helpful because neither one wants to take responsibility for the increase and the symptoms. I have no intention on suing anybody I just want help. they're not helping me at all and I'm really stressed out and worried. if you guys have any advice I would greatly appreciate it

• Posted

hello,

i am wondering what mental symptoms you all had before diagnosis and during both medicines cabergoline and bromocriptine. i have a Prolactinoma 6 mm. pituitary secretes both progestin and growth hormone. i have had both medicines Cabergoline first crying all the time lump in throat and GERD. i discovered on this site low estrogen causes some of that. i am menopausal so increased estrogen throat and GERD symptoms went away. i wanted to go back and try weekly Cabergoline, but Endo says to wait and stay on Bromocriptine. Mentally i have felt worse. i was on Cabergoline since Jan 1, then changed to Bromocriptine middle March. So 4 months combiation both. Anybody have the coping issues? How long mental issues might last and if they had to use a mood stabilizor medicine.. A major side note I have Cushing's with adrenal removed so low cortisol now and steroids for over a year and hypothyroid. Hormonally a mess. Any advice.

• Posted

hello,

i am wondering what mental symptoms you all had before diagnosis and during both medicines cabergoline and bromocriptine. i have a Prolactinoma 6 mm. pituitary secretes both progestin and growth hormone. i have had both medicines Cabergoline first crying all the time lump in throat and GERD. i discovered on this site low estrogen causes some of that. i am menopausal so increased estrogen throat and GERD symptoms went away. i wanted to go back and try weekly Cabergoline, but Endo says to wait and stay on Bromocriptine. Mentally i have felt worse. i was on Cabergoline since Jan 1, then changed to Bromocriptine middle March. So 4 months combiation both. Anybody have the coping issues? How long mental issues might last and if they had to use a mood stabilizor medicine.. A major side note I have Cushing's with adrenal removed so low cortisol now and steroids for over a year and hypothyroid. Hormonally a mess. Any advice.

• Posted

Have you thought about having the tumor removed? That was the only thing that helped me.

• Posted

She said a surgeon wouldn’t touch me with a 6 mm tumor. I am going to get a second opinion from another Endocrinologist though. i have labs in a few weeks. she just doesnt seem experienced with symptoms since cushings is rare and now the pituitary prolactinoma and new medicine. i got lucky with my adrenal surgeon or would of had to go out of state. i think you tolerated the Cabergoline but you did not have coping issues and mental affects. most people just get the nausea and dizziness. But with my bromocriptinefects i am not sure if its causing more depressed moods or from adrenal certainly and memopause. to any things going on at once to rule out.

• Posted

Hi,

I was briefly on cabergoline and I felt awful (I didn't get restless leg syndrome though). Felt much better a week or two after stopping it and then swapped onto bromocriptine until quinagolide was back it stock. So it's worth speaking to your endocrinologist about other options if it's not suiting you

• Posted

thanks for responding. I know I definitely need to stop this with either decrease it. I'm going to talk to my endocrinologist on Monday and see what he says. I'll see how I feel in about 2 weeks and I will keep you guys posted. thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.