Calcaneal osteotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 4 days post op from a calcaneal osteotomy, peroneal tendon repair and a gastrocnemius recession. Has anyone on here had anything similiar? I'd love to hear about your recovery and what to expect. Thanks in Advance.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had the calcaneal osteotomy, first metatarsal osteotomy , with lateral ankle reconstruction. That was about a year and a half ago it’s not super fun.
    • Posted

My recovery was super slow i ended up breaking through my first metatarsal osteotomy and got my metal all removed about 2 months ago because of the break I have nerve damage and just haven’t had much luck with recovery. I hope yours goes better
    • Posted

So far it's been pretty awful. It's only been 4 days but I did not anticipate the pain being this intense. Do you remember how long you were non weight bearing?

• Posted

Yeah first week was brutal! I was non weight bearing for pretty much 2 months straight. Even once I was weight bearing it wasn’t remotely comfortable until around the 3rd month. Basically lived on my knee scooter.
    • Posted

Ok, your making me feel a bit better. I've never taken so much pain medicine in my life and still have pain. Thanks so much for your quick responses. How is your foot now?

• Posted

Not great. I have long term nerve damage and my foot swells after walking too long but that’s mostly in my forefoot my heel actually healed really well and my foot feels solid and my ankle doesn’t roll anymore. Doctor put in an internal brace so it doesn’t move laterally. All my issues are just in the forefoot.
    • Posted

and yeah the pain was unbearable at times dont feel bad at all im 6'3" 300lb former offensive lineman and i was taking my pills every 3 hours. i have never been in that much pain in my life. it gets better just takes a lot of time,

• Posted

Oh fantastic because I find myself staring at the clock counting down the hours until I'm due for my next dose. You have no idea how much I appreciate your responses. Fingers crossed I sleep tonight after my pain meds.

• Posted

yeah it was the same for me first week i pretty much only slept when i took my pain pills its brutal but by friday- saturday it should start calming down still uncomfortable and youll want to keep elevation pretty much at all times but it will get easier.
    • Posted

At least there is a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. This is my 3rd ankle surgery in the past year and the other two were definitely sore but not like this. I'm hopeful that by the weekend it's doing a bit better. I'd like to get out of the house and go to my in laws. Did your foot heal properly or do you still have issues?

• Posted

I still have issues my foot swells and hurts everyday not sure what to do gonna try custom orthotics and some nerve meds to see if it helps.
  • Posted

Wow what is the lay mans name for that?   Did you get a new foot?
  • Posted

Ha, pretty much. They sawed into my heel, shifted it over and secured it with screws. Not quite sure what they did to the tendon and calf.
  • Posted

I had an All-American (ha, but that's actually what it's called!) calcaneal osteotomy, posterior tibial tendon transfer and Achilles tendon lengthening in December of 2016. The recovery is, well, a fairly involved surgical recovery, but I used a knee scooter afterward and gradually weaned off it, and now that foot is actually my good one! So there is light at the end of the tunnel! For me, it was all worth it. Hope it turns out the same for you! ??

• Posted

Ok, so a very similiar surgery. I think the Achilles lengthening is the same thing as a gastroc. And I had the tendon transfer also. I have occasional pain by my ankle bone but 99% of my pain is my heel. I'm not due for any meds for two more hours and it's terrible. The knee scooter is my saving grace. I'm thankful I have a ranch and seriously only get up to use the bathroom. Hearing it was all worth it makes me feel much better. Thanks for responding!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.