Calf pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

a question for my knee replacement friends. I'm three weeks out second knee, it seems so much slower than the last one. Have real constriction at back of knee and a lot of calf pain, I didn't have this before to this extent, presume I keep exercising through the pain or will this make it worse or rest it for a few days so hopefully settle down, not sleeping because of it. Advice will be gratefully received .😀

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you taking anti inflammatories, and icing?  You are in the healing process. Gently stretches at least 5 times a day.  Each knee heals differently.  Sleeping is the most difficult part, at least it was for me.  I am 4 months out TKR.
    • Posted

I'm icing every two hours. I came off the inflammatory tablets a week after op 😀,huge tummy upset will all the medication, rely on paracetomal and pain killers, do you think they are very helpful, maybe I could introduce again and see how I go

• Posted

I'm only 8 days post op, but I find if I ice the back of my leg in addition to the front I do get some  relief...certainly worth a try.  

• Posted

I still have your problem at 12 weeks out.  My PT puts heat underneath the knee and ice on top when I'm trying to stretch it out.  This seemed to help.

• Posted

just to be clear, i am trying to avoid tkr, by having stem cell treatments and will soon have a prp treatment on one of my knees that doc says has torn meniscus

thanks

• Posted

Make sure you are drinking lots of fluids to help your calves.still persist with your exercise as not doing so will result in scar tissue forming which will add to the tightness in your knee. I am 6 weeks post tkr on my second knee as well. This time around it wasn't as terrifying maybe because I knew what to expect.first knee was extremely painful before surgery and second one not as bad.I find I am not as dilegent about doing my exercises and have to really push myself. Keep at it.

• Posted

Thank you, you mirror my feelings exactly, 7 months since 1st knee, I followed things to the book which showed in the outcome , completely straight and 125 bend, my life right back on track.  I know the motivation for this one is not so good, starting all over again is wearisome and the enforced limitations, lack of control and independence all over again, I keep kick starting myself and have increased my exercise regime, all will be well and another positive outcome I hope. My bend seems to be much slower this time but as they tell me every knee is different😀😀😀

• Posted

I had the same feelings after my second knee replacement. I am three months out, have stopped counting weeks, and I know that I am not where I was on the first one. I asked the physical therapist about this and they stated that often happens, the second one is more difficult, each one is different. I could say I'm 8 years older, I was more committed to my exercise regime, or this one's just going to take longer. I still have some stiffness but for the most part have been able to resume life. I found heat on the back of my leg helped more than ice. Good luck to you

• Posted

I think it might be worth getting it looked at...calf pain and constriction at back of knee... I worry about DVT...please don't get anxious but I would not leave that un checked myself...

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

Im at the hospital next Tuesday

the pain down the calf is only when moving it and the constricting at the back of knee is when I'm trying to bend it when walking. I'm only three weeks out and have a massive scar where the surgeon went into previous scar which has took some healing so I feel I'm a little behind.

as suggested I've upped my fluid intake which seems to have helped a bit.

Do u still think I should be concerned Jenny?..

• Posted

Oh, I don't know, I am not a professional..I probably am concerned because I had a pulmonary embolism scare post TKR! Its the calf and back of the knee location which have touched my antennas I think. It is so hard to tell but I also think you have had one TKR, so less likely than someone who had not had one to feel concern generally about any and every bit of pain. If you feel your instinct suggests something may not be right I would follow that up personally.

• Posted

What were the symptoms of your scare? I too have pain behind the knee.it is not my knee that hurts.have I strained a muscle?pain is in my calf as well.i am 7 months post tel.
    • Posted

Pain at back of knee is normal...I had blood in sputum, cough, constant shortness of breath, ...was more breathing related. All checked out and in the end was fine.

Random pains in legs are the norm after TKR, however if concerned always seek am professional opinion.

• Posted

Ps when I say normal I mean lots of folk post TKR have it and its normally soft tissue related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.