Can 40 be too much !

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on cit for almost 12 weeks. I week on 10, 1 week on 20, 6 weeks on 30 and nearly 4 weeks on 40. I have been feeling dreadful since going up to 40. They put me up as I had a bad few days on 30 but prior to that I was feeling better.

My question is can 40 be too much for some people. I don t know weather to try and stick it out longer or drop back to 30. Maybe I should have stuck it out at 30. I have an 8 mth old baby and this is just awful.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's rapid series of increased doses, I think it would have finished me off!

I had 3 wks on 10mg and now just short of 4 weeks on 20mg. I'm gonna try my best to maintain this dose and weather any blips if they come. Thing is you don't know it's a blip or an indication for an increase. I think getting the right dose is guesswork !!

Things may have settled again on 30mg who knows. I hope you're feeling better soon - what does your GP think?

• Posted

After I had my little boy when he was 6 months I was on 10mg and after 2 weeks I was put up

To 20mg, the side effects where horrendous but after about 6 weeks things started to settle, maybe 40mg is a little too high, perhaps you could ring ur GP and explain x. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Yes 40mg can be too much.  Lots of people suffer on this dose.

Taking a bigger doesn't mean you'll get better any quicker and neither does it stop you getting the up / down phase (blips) any more than if you took 20mg.  It can take a long, long time to recover and you can't hurry it along - it'll happen in its own time, for you.  For some people it'll take 6 weeks, but for the majority it'll take months and months of patience and determination.

Why take a bigger dose than you need to?  You can recover on 20mg - but to know this you need to be on that one dose for many months, go through many blips, and out the other side.  True, you may need a bigger dose, but you need to give one dose months before you can see if it's the one for you.

It took 6 months on 20mg for me to recover, and even after that I improved more and more.  My son took a different type of SSRI and it took 9 months for him to recover.

These meds don't work like any other regular medicines whereby you see results in days / weeks.  You should count each month off, not weeks. 

• Posted

I m worried if I drop back to 30 now I ll get withdrawal. Doc says I won t but I m not sure I believe her.

If 40 is too high do you think that means I won t get better on it or will I adjust eventually ?

Feel a bit better today.

• Posted

I'm not sure but trust your dr.

It's difficult coping with a little baby isn't it

• Posted

You could drop to 35mg first before going to 30mg.  I reduced by buying a pill cutter and found dropping by 5mg at a time and staying on tha dose for a few weeks before dropping again didn't cause me any withdrawal effects at all.

Staying on 40mg doesn't mean you won't get better, but it just might make you feel more spaced out, nauseous etc etc than a lower dose would.  It's tricky getting the right dose to suit you.

• Posted

Your support and advice is very reassuring.

Thanks Xx

• Posted

Do you think I would stay feeling spaced out and nauseas or would it fade ?
    • Posted

Sparky

Yes it really is especially with pnd and trying to go on meds

Are you better now ? X

• Posted

Yes agree with Sparkly, It should wear off, though some people do find they can continue to feel a bit spacey.  Again I'm sure that would wear off after even more time. x

• Posted

Hi

My psychiatrist has told me to drop back to 30 as she thinks 40 is too much. Now I am worried it won t work at all. I was feeling better at 30 till I had a bad week and upped to 40. Since then my anxiety has been terrible.

So worried. Can t stop crying.

• Posted

Sarah

In my experience 20mg was too high so I couldn't imagine being on double . My doctor suggested increasing my dose as the 20mg wasn't working but I asked if I could try reducing to 10mg , this worked a treat for me & im back to my old self.

• Posted

Tom

What symptoms did you have that made you know 20 was too much for you ?

• Posted

Sarah

I found it nearly impossible to get out of bed in the mornings , I was mostly depressed till the afternoons , I had shakes in my legs & bouts of fatigue , long days lying on the sofa sleeping on & off. No appetite & lack of interest in anything .

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Just interested, how long did those side effects last 0n 20mg before you opted to cut back to 10mg, I know how awful it is but did you not think they would just wear off.

Many of us put up with terrible side effects but just get told they'll wear off, it's difficult to know how long to give it. Why were you increased to 20mg in the first place?

• Posted

How long were you on 20mg ? I m worried about withdrawal. How long till you felt better after better after reducing ?
    • Posted

Gerry

I was started on 20mg , first week was easily the worst of my life , things improved after about 6 weeks but not greatly , things drifted back down hill , I could hardly face the day & had no appetite , depressed every day till the afternoons , shakes in legs & sweaty nights , cut down to 10mg two weeks ago & improved instantly , I've had the best two weeks I've had all year. Never thought things could turn around so quickly .

• Posted

Sarah

I was on 20mg for 13 weeks, I really believed I had to see things out on 20mg but I was getting worse every day & couldn't bear it any longer . I reduced to 10 & felt better within 48 hrs, basically back to my old self which I never thought possible a month ago

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Sounds pretty clear cut that you gave 20mg a good try, sounds like you had a hard time of it. We are all just desperate to see improvement- I never realised just how awful anxiety is and how disabling and isolating.

Sounds like you've had as bad as year as me !!

I'm so pleased that you are feeling so much better - we all have different tolerance thresholds, it's just finding it that's the problem.

Good luck Tom

• Posted

It might be a case of finding a good balance with the meds , I wish I had been started on a lower dose in the first place unless the 20mg has done my chemistry some good , I don't want to sound smug & im sure I'm not out of the woods but I still can't believe how good I feel now when I look back on my hopless posts I posted a month ago , I'm glad I found this forum as it should give everyone hope that as quickly as things slip out of control they will turn around , you just need to hang on till the ride slows down .

• Posted

Tom

Thanks for your reply.

I ve been determined to stick it out at 40 but psych says to drop. I ve had a few good days at 40 but the bad days are hell. I m getting cold tingling sensations on my skin and very very anxious. The tingling is new to me. I was doi g ok on 30 till 5 weeks in.

Just hope the drop works for me. I can t take much more of this I have a baby and it is terrifying. I feel like I m going mad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.