Can acid reflux cause you to also almost feel hungry mixed with nausea?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I'm 99% sure I've got acid reflux, but one thing I don't see people ever list as a symptom, is it almost feeling like you're starving mixed a little with nausea. It like with me, sometimes they take turns. I'll feel bad acid, then nausea mixed with its then acid with what feels like an empty hungry stomach.

Anyone else?

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi

I to suffered from acid reflux.

But I try and control it with not eating and drinking the food that trigger it.

My symptoms at the worse are

Palputations

Tightness in my chest ( felt like a heart attack) went to A&E because it

was that bad.

Dizziness

Burping

Tummy gurgling

Anxiety.

Always hungry.

I was on acid reflux tablets for years but in the end they stopped working so I took myself off them. Only have gaviscon now when needed.

Be aware that anxiety can make symptoms worse.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Yes I've had that feeling before have you tried any over the counter meds for it I would if not helpful see your doctor

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Yes I totally used to get this feeling, it was so weird, one minute I was feeling like I was going to throw up, next minute I'm starving, I never really took any notice of it coz I've had so many symptoms over many years.

I did have surgery last June to fix my reflux and and hiatus hernia, surprisingly on the odd occasion I still get this but it's not as intense as before my op.

Regards

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

how bad was your reflux and hiatus hernia please - i have suffered from reflux for quite a few years and fortunately i have private medical insurance so i could have the operation, it has got much worse over the past few months due to high levels of stress so seriously considering, the surgeon says it is major surgery ?

• Posted

Yep, i feel that way too along with all the other "classic" symptoms of LPR.

• Edited

I suffer with anxiety however lately I have been having severe stomach discomfort and the doctor thinks I might have a hiatal hernia so I have to go have a CAT scan done. Meanwhile I feel a hungry/nauseous feeling. Also I've been getting some burning sensation in my throat roof of my mouth and etc. I just don't feel good and this is making my anxiety much worst. Im scared I'm like dying or something. I get tightness in my base of my throats and heaviness in my chest and pressure/hungry/nauseous feeling in between my breasts.... followed by some burping and yucky feeling. Also gives me palpitations sometimes 😣 

I hate this and hope I'm not alone with these scary symptoms 

• Posted

Hi,

I know you posted this a number of months ago, but I have been having very similar symptoms for months now and the doctors are so slow at getting available appointments am getting nowhere fast. Did you ever get any answers?

• Posted

Yes, i get this a lot even though i'm on a lot of lansoprazole to control it. When i have a bit of a flare up i get a starving hungry feeling , almost paimful which then makes me feel sick. Recently i've had a bad flare up of reflux and i've even been woken up im the early hours where its so bad.

• Posted

WAY late reply, sorry but after multiple visits with different GI doctors I still don't have any answers. I am the hungriest woman on the planet. I can eat a huge meal and need a smaller meal 1-2 hours after. I wake up now 2 times in the middle of night to get a granola bar. The hunger pangs have become unbearable. If I wait too long to eat I get shaky, nauseous, emotional, literally a different person. I have been tested for thyroid issues /hypoglycemia/Diabetes/GERD/CT scan - they can't figure it out. I do have high anxiety and I'm on antidepressants but pretty healthy and active. One doc prescribed Pantoprazole and I steered away since I didn't notice much of a difference. I am thinking it has something to do with the acid I am consuming. For example, when I am finished with my morning coffee - I could eat an entire horse. WHen most of my friends can live off that cup of coffee for hours. I wish I could!

• Posted

I know this is going back a bit bit did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm experiencing the same thing at the moment and it is really frustrating.

• Posted

I think this discussion has been re triggered from a recent response. Yes I too get that hungry and nausea feeling. 

• Posted

im reading the replies and i see a lot of us have problems with anxiety. i wonder if its my zoloft causing these issues. since the pain feels like hunger i have been eating a lot more and gained sooo much weight since taking zoloft. i wonder of zoloft causes acid reflux. i never had these pains before zoloft although other family of mine do have acid reflux but not the hunger feeling. this is crazy we shouldnt have to live like this without answers

• Posted

when I developed GERD and gastritis my first symptom was that I had extreme painful hunger. I still have it every once in awhile. I can't really explain it but it's awful. I'm experiencing it right now and I just can't satisfy the hungry feeling in my stomach. very frustrating. antacids don't work for me unfortunately

• Posted

Have you ever found anything that helps? I have the extreme hunger pains after having chemo which has wrecked my stomach.

• Posted

anyone found a solution to this? im facing the same since i was 10 everyday. Nothing was ever diagnosed after visiting countless doctors. endoscopy , scanning and they say there are no problems. PPIs, antacids didnt work so not taking them now. Oddly taking domperidone for an unrelated vomiting issue seems to better my symptoms. I was wondering if its gastroparesis as all symptoms match but sadly no good facilities to diagnose that where i live

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.