Can Acid Reflux (GERD) or LPR cause swollen lymph nodes?

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi there!

Sorry for the lengthy post. During September 2016 (4 months ago), I notice that my right Submandibular nodes (below right jaw, salivary gland) was swollen. It was painless and it is movable. I've had acid reflux since I was still in junior high school (currently 23 years old) and when I notice this lump, I instantly panicked and start searching on google (not a good idea). Since then I have went to 2 different ENT, 1 oncologist, and 2 different gastroenthologist. All of them said that it is not a concern. All of them is not concerned at all, however they also do not give me a clear expalantion. One of them said that perhaps the reflux may cause irritation on my throat that then cause mini infection that I may not feel. One of them said that perhaps it is due to my past tonsilitis infection (I have suffered from 8 bouts of tonsilitis on 2016-should probably get my tonsil removed ASAP).

My acid reflux is not that bad. I seldom gets any heartburn; all that I feel is the globus / feeling like there's a lump in the base of my throat (since October 2016) and that whenever I want to burp / belch, the acid and some food contents comes back up to my throat. I also have constat post nasal drip and have to clear my throat all the time. My tongue is white but my throat and tongue seldom got burns from the acid reflux. 

What drives me crazy is that 2 weeks ago I notice there's yet another lymph node pops up on the right side of my neck. It is also painless and movable, and it is rougly 1 - 1.5 cm. I am in full panic mode now and have think about bad case scenario (lymphoma, etc.). 

I will go back to my gastro and oncologist doctor, but it will be around early February 2017. Can you guys please share if you have also encountered this problem with painless lymph node swelling with acid reflux / LPR? 

Thanks guys!

5 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

gembrot, how are you feeling now? did you get to the root cause of issue?

?I am trying to check as I am also sailing in same boat.

• Posted

Same boat here. sad I’m only 30 years old, not really overweight, but for about 5 years now I’ve been dealing with acid reflux, and medicine helped calm it down, but each year it seems like something new starts affecting me. This year has been a constant battery type taste in my mouth, constantly clearing my throat, lately sore throats off and on, like as if they are strained , jaw pain, constant burping with the liquid and food contents coming up to back of my throat, and to top it all off, I’m a panicker and this doesn’t help. Quality of life has gone done so much since I was a teenager. sad hope we all find some help. Don’t get me wrong, I have some good days, but they still don’t compare to the good days I had when I was younger, this world and all the crap food is killing us all ain’t it... lol 
    • Posted

Hi, I am new to this board. I have a few questions for you. Have you been checked for h. pylori, are you on a good probiotic, have you done a food sensitivity test or heavy metal toxicity test? Asking the latter because of the battery type taste in your mouth. 

For the last 2 years I have struggled with painful acid reflux backing up into my ears. I did a food sensitivity test and found I was highly reactive to almonds which I used to eat daily. Since I have quit all almond products my acid reflux has calmed way down in intensity, but still slightly present with foods like dairy, grains and coffee. I am taking a good probiotic and have noticed improvement. As well as addressing a reactived Epstein Bar infection which has also helped calm the reflux. The probiotic really helped with my constant burping I had. It's nonexistent now. I would feel like air was constantly stuck in my throat.

People swear by fresh celery juice on an empty stomach daily. I've started doing this and digestion has been much better. Sorry for all the info, just want us all to feel better! 

You posted this 6 months ago. I hope you've found some relief, but I thought I would comment anyway. 

• Posted

Hi Jamie, can you let me know what probiotic you take? Thank you.

• Posted

thanks Jamie, why those? they seem quite expensive. Before you got back to me I ordered some from Amazon and now I'm concerned they are to cheap!

• Posted

Thank you very much for this information. Have you healed from the LPR? Any further advice?

C

• Posted

I’ve been having repeat occurrences of silent reflux and many throats infections- laryngitis, tonsillitis and tons of mini sore throats. Always on the right side and swollen lymph gland there. It’s been about 8 months so far but not got very far with treatment or diagnosis. I am panicking slightly but this thread has made me feel better and see that they are likely linked to each other.
  • Posted

Hi

, I have read through your conditions and I realised am a victim to. I tested gerd present in 2012'. I got amoxicillin en esomoprazole. The bloating and food backwash reduced. Now this year its another issue. Throat discomfort, en my right lymph node under jaw is not clear.

I keep touching it en it's really giving me nuts. Reading online swollen lymph nodes are much more connected to HIV. This scares me. I even wanted to go for blood check up but am fearing.

I took pylori kit and magnesium nothing has changed maybe dt heartburn en backwash have reduced. Yesterday I tried running for a short distance but I felt weird in my neck.

I have been jogging, doing cardio but I can't any more. I don't know what to do next. Hiv in my head giving me sleepless nights. I always worry a lot and I have imagination tendencies. At times I guess that it's cancer maybe coz doctors say gerd can cause cancer.

• Posted

How was your check up to your oncologist about your lymph nodes? I have lpr and gerd. For almost 4yrs. But i noticed a swollen lymph nodes last october now its about 2mos.now. Im so hypochondria, been anxious by searching my symptoms, my mind is full of scary things like cancers lymphoma. It makes me depressed.

• Posted

hi was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2017 was prescribed zantac or ranitidine 150 mg. and had the same thing. I had fever and body pain after the swollen glands. I was in the hospital for two week before they did a bone marrow biopsy stage 3 cancer.

• Posted

Hi Deb: I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope you are doing well. I noticed that you recently joined this forum. It sounds like you were misdiagnosed early on. Please keep us updated to your progress. John

• Posted

i am having exactly the same issue as yours and i also feel it is linked with lymp nodes...can you please tell me if you are feeling ok now? and plz share with me any solution of this problem you know about

• Posted

Hello i have gerd too in April i been having this constant feeling of swollen lymph nodes in my left side neck it's painless and moveable and it's not visible i can only feel it.Is this normal to acid reflux please?i have been on a panic mode ever since April. Thank you

• Posted

Has your situation cleared up? Are you on medication? I'm dealing with the same thing very curious.

C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.