Can Acid Reflux (GERD) or LPR cause swollen lymph nodes?

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi there!

Sorry for the lengthy post. During September 2016 (4 months ago), I notice that my right Submandibular nodes (below right jaw, salivary gland) was swollen. It was painless and it is movable. I've had acid reflux since I was still in junior high school (currently 23 years old) and when I notice this lump, I instantly panicked and start searching on google (not a good idea). Since then I have went to 2 different ENT, 1 oncologist, and 2 different gastroenthologist. All of them said that it is not a concern. All of them is not concerned at all, however they also do not give me a clear expalantion. One of them said that perhaps the reflux may cause irritation on my throat that then cause mini infection that I may not feel. One of them said that perhaps it is due to my past tonsilitis infection (I have suffered from 8 bouts of tonsilitis on 2016-should probably get my tonsil removed ASAP).

My acid reflux is not that bad. I seldom gets any heartburn; all that I feel is the globus / feeling like there's a lump in the base of my throat (since October 2016) and that whenever I want to burp / belch, the acid and some food contents comes back up to my throat. I also have constat post nasal drip and have to clear my throat all the time. My tongue is white but my throat and tongue seldom got burns from the acid reflux. 

What drives me crazy is that 2 weeks ago I notice there's yet another lymph node pops up on the right side of my neck. It is also painless and movable, and it is rougly 1 - 1.5 cm. I am in full panic mode now and have think about bad case scenario (lymphoma, etc.). 

I will go back to my gastro and oncologist doctor, but it will be around early February 2017. Can you guys please share if you have also encountered this problem with painless lymph node swelling with acid reflux / LPR? 

Thanks guys!

5 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi, I'm a dentist and I'm in a similar situation. I've had acid reflux and tonsillitis with tonsil stones since childhood. I avoided certain foods. I've had very bad sore throat for over 10 years now. somewhere in 2010, I visited the ENT clinic. I was treated several times on Augmentin and lozenges but I got no relief. I was treated on NEXIUM then I got some relief. I noticed my lymph node palpable on both right and left around the jaw line and one on the left neck. I stopped taking the NEXIUM and started using liver salt. I've had very bad eating habits and lived a sedentary life. I rarely exercise and I'd usually eat late. Sometimes I woke up at night because of reflux to my nose and mouth and I'll keep coughing. I always had antacids on the head of the bed and I'd use that. recently, I've had terrible sore throat with ear pain, bitter taste in my mouth and fever. I suspected it was mononucleosis because I had all the symptoms. My girlfriend didn't have but of course I'm a dentist so I knew that it was possible to get it from a patient. The GP thought it was tonsillitis. I was treated with Augmentin and some painkillers but I wasn't getting any better. Tramadol couldn't help with the pain. I abused the painkillers and ended up at the emergency with acute gastritis. H pylori test was positive so I was put on triple therapy for H pylori. A complete blood count showed elevated monocytes and slightly elevated lymphocytes but the the GP said it wasn't a problem. I decided to consult the ENT. I had a complete blood and everything was fine including the ESR but the comment read "

Erythrocytes normocytic normochromic

Leucocytes show atypical mononuclear cells with vacuoles and reactive neutrophils

Thrombocytes appear normal

? INFECTIOUS MONONUCLEOSIS."

The Otolaryngologists agreed that I may have mononucleosis but they think it's LARYNGO-PHARYNGEAL REFLUX (LPR). They think that the earache is a referred pain .I was treated with NEXIUM, MOTILIUM and NUGEL. Iwas advised to change my eating habits and avoid certain foods and alcohol. I was a little better after some weeks of starting treatment, the symptoms only subsided. I was told treatment may last from weeks to several months. Currently I have these recurrent earaches but the pain in the throat has reduced appreciably.

I'm hopeful I'll get better. it's been frustrating. The lymph nodes can still be felt, they haven't changed in size and they have never been painful. I can't even eat well. I even had HIV test done but was negative. I thought it was chronic tonsillitis, lymphoma, HIV, tonsillar cancer, throat cancer or even oesophageal cancer. I had wanted to have endoscopy, a CT scan of my head and neck and a barium meal test done.

• Posted

Same boat. LPR in my situation since April 2020 and the lymph node pain/minor swelling only on the one side.

Cutting alcohol, caffeine, and poor foods have helped the throat pain. The lymph node issue comes about once a month or so - painful and hits up the jaw area/near ear.

Providers do not seem overly concerned.

• Posted

update: I had endoscopy done a week ago and it came out fine. no abnormalities observed. my Otolaryngologist suspected a hiatus hernia but there was none. then she said that's the farthest she can go to help me. so now I'm stuck.

• Edited

Just thought I would share my story.... I had a swollen lymph node under my jaw, painless, didn't go down after a few weeks, biopsed by having it fully removed (ENT was concerned it was Lymphoma). Results came back Reactive Hyperplasia with Progressive Transformation of Germincal Centers (PTGC is a benign condition).I was diagnosed with LPR by ENT as well because I had the worst Post nasal drip and sinus congestion (CT Scans showed bad sinus issues). That was 2 years ago.... I didnt take ENT's advice about LPR as I truly didn't think I had it. But my nasal drip and SInus issues have only gotten worse. So now, as of last week, I have changed my diet (smaller meals at night, lots of veggies and fruits, cut out 95% of alcohol, added High PH water to my daily life, and continued exercsizing. Also, I have always appeared to be in really good shape and maintained a very healthy weight, I always thought I lived a healthy lifestyle. I reach out to this forum because I truly believe there is deep connection with these lymph node and LPR. I can't find any medical literature, but hearing peoples stories makes me believe. I also have another Lymph node that popped up right next to the one that was removed (it has been biopsed, came back benign also, its been there for over a year). My whole goal here is to share my story, and see if anybody who has had lymph node removed was diagnosed with PTGC and possibly have LPR as well.

• Posted

Hello!

I've come a bit late to this. =) My story is that I've had intermittent burning pain under left rib for years that I largely ignored. =p After 4 weeks of bed rest, lying down, it has become constant and I can't fit much food in, burp constantly, 'spew burp' every meal or bending over, and can have restricted breathing. Yikes! The area also feels hot, under that left rib. So off I googled, and found some possibilities, notably hiatus hernia... then my left throat and neck gland swelled SO painfully. Ive been drinking aloe inner leaf juice and elderberry, (anti-inflammatory and immune support) and they went down after a couple of days, but are still slightly up, though not quite so painful. Like a lot of us here, I'm trying to alleviate fears of cancer as google doesn't list it as a symptom and keeps telling me that swollen lymphs with no obvious infection could be an issue. (I have no fever, so I'm hoping that's a good thing). It's comforting to hear from one contributor that their doctor said inflammation can cause them to swell too. Whatever else, I know the area is inflamed. So, I'm another person who has reflux issues with lymph swelling and am thankful for this thread to somewhat calm the dread that google searches can inspire!

I thought I'd comment too, as I would also like to suggest Pamfox.org to people who are getting no relief. I just found her. Her course teaches us to train the muscles to reposition the stomach correctly again. I liked the concept of the soda no-burp training, (Thanks Jonathon) but for me, one sip makes me belch 10 times, so I couldn't even. =D (Ive thought this burping hilarious in the past =D. I didn't realise things might not have been so funny in truth, darn it). Anyway, being a person who cannot take a lot of laboratory medicine, and seeing that it goes to the cause of the hernia - the entrapment of it - it makes sense to me. I thought I'd share it for others, like me, who don't respond to medication.

I was also wondering, has anyone else who commented here found out more about the lymph swelling association in the time that's passed?

• Edited

Hi guys,

I think I'm quite late for this thread but because I have been googling for over a year now for this lymph under my left throat. I also got panic and always thought of the worst scenario which is cancer.

I have been diagnosed with gastritis due to HP and GERD since 2011 but always got treated. Every second year it came back and I got gastroscopy. Nothing dangerous was found except for HP and ulcer. In August 2019 I felt the heartburn, belching and abdominal pain again so I got endoscopy and colonoscopy to be extra careful. Again it was HP+ (one + only) when for many patients it could be HP +++, etc. GERD came along and again was eradicated with antibiotics, NEXIUM (esomeprazole), some digestive enzyme and other meds that I dont know. I then redid the endoscopy after the treatment to make sure. things were okay.

In the beginning of 2021 I started to see some little lymph node under my left throat. It is moveable, painless and I can realize on some days it got a bit bigger when I feel a throat pain. It is smallest after waking up in the morning. I then felt the belching, heartburn again with chest pain, abdominal pain. I knew that stomach issue came back. I went to the ENT to check my throat and that lymph because it really gave me deep axiety. the ENT put the camera down from my nose to my throat and he said nothing to worry about. It looked like acid reflux.

And in January 2022, I suddenly developed 5 days straight left ear tinnitus (dull roaring sound) - Only on my left ear with the left throat irritation (lump feeling when swallowing saliva) and the lymph obviously still exists there. I went back to the ENT and he checked my ears with all other special technique. He said my ear's fine. I requested to have the camera down to check my throat one more time as I still feel the lumpy sensation and the lymph that I hate ...

This time I begged him to give me the prescription for my stomach issue. He is such a kind doctor who really wanted me to get better. Now I am on day 5 with Librax, Iberogast and Nexium 20mg. The heartburn and belching (sometimes) as well as abdominal pain was gone. However the left throat lymph is still there. I wonder what it is and why .... Or it would take months for my throat to heal then it will disappear?

this lymph really makes my life quality low due to my anxiety.

• Posted

Hey there, did you ever find out about your lymph node? Is it still there? I am a bit late for this thread also but was hoping someone would still reply. I have had a swollen lymph node in the right side of my neck under the jaw line for 7 1/2 months now. Well, that's when I found it. I don't know how long I've actually had it. I had blood work done before I started seeing a weight dr in April 2021 & he said I was borderline diabetic, a little Anemic (iron deficient) & white blood cells were elevated. He specifically said Leukocytes. He didn't seem worried about it & said could have had allergies or a recent illness for the WBC to be a little elevated. I hadn't been sick at all. I've had Anemia for many yrs but not really bad. My iron is always a little low but not a lot so I knew about that one. 6 months later in October, I was joking about my neck from losing weight & was feeling around & came across the lump (swollen lymph node.) It was about the size of a green grape. It didn't hurt. It's a little firm but moveable. I dismissed it for 3 months. I mentioned it to the weight dr to make sure it wasn't from medicine & he dismissed it as once again allergies, recent cold, etc. Not medicine related. Again, I had not been sick at all. He said they take a long time to go down. I started getting dizzy spells & losing my balance on/off. I stay cold & get chills daily but no fever. I've always been hot natured so it's very weird that I would be cold. I always have fatigue but it has gotten a little worse in the past few months. I have no energy & have to force myself to do what I need to do. My hair has been thinning more & I have itchy dry skin. Some of that could be from Anemia I believe. The palms of my hands & my feet itch the worst especially at night. No night sweats though, just always cold. I've spent hours researching any & everything it could be, trying not to jump to assumptions on the worst-case scenario. This April of 2022, it's still here so I went to an urgent care clinic & she said she didn't like how long I've had it. She felt all over my neck & behind ears. She discovered I had a little fluid in my right ear (not infected) which would explain the dizziness & loss of balance. I had tunnel hearing on/off & when I swallow & my ears would pop sometimes. I had pressure in my ear but no pain. It would worsen when I drank water. I have dry mouth even though I drink a lot of water but could be from weight loss medicine. She wrote a prescription for Amoxicillin 875mg twice daily for 10 days & a steroid dexamethasone 4mg twice daily for 4 days. She said if it doesn't go down after that, I need to see an ENT dr & gave me a phone #. The lymph node seems to have went down a little to maybe marble size instead of a grape now but another one has come up beside it on the same side but it feels different. The original one is like a ball & the other one is more ablong. The new one is a little tender if you press on it. I made the appt. with the ENT & saw him May 26. He put the fiber optic thing (TNE) up my nose & down throat. He felt around my neck on the outside & said it was submandibular nodes. He said he didn't see anything at this point that stands out to him as far as cancer but I have silent GERD. The nodes didn't seem to get his attention. He gave me Famotidine 40mg at bedtime daily & Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray to use daily. His staff is going to call in 8 wks & if I'm better, good. If not, he said he'll bring me back in for a scan. Is that normal protocol for things like this? What scan? I'm guessing he meant of the lymph nodes? His assistant asked me if I had history of Thyroid Cancer & I told her no. That was before he came in. He didn't mention it. From my own research, my symptoms could point towards thyroid issues (underactive thyroid), lymphoma of some sort, & also I see where I could have silent GERD. I just don't think GERD is all that's going on. I don't have any fever that would accompany mumps, mono, etc. I've googled them all. No pain involved like with a salivary gland stone. I think I need new blood work since it's been a year. I rarely go to a dr & don't have a primary care physician. I just use urgent & express cares if I need them. I took care of my Dad until he passed away in Dec. 2020 of Stage 4 Hypopharyngeal Cancer but it was due to lifestyle choices of alcoholism & smoking for many yrs. I don't drink or smoke. I've been on the Paleo Diet for a yr which is healthier eating. When I'm getting healthier, I seem to be falling apart instead. This forum has relieved me somewhat of thinking maybe the ENT knows what he's doing after all but I can't help but to have a lingering in the back of my mind of something else. I just don't want them to overlook something that could worsen with time just because I'm only 39 yrs old, soon to be 40. They can tend to dismiss you when you're not the age they typically see those things. I'm not a hypochondriac. I know my body & this is just so out of ordinary. I ignorantly didn't mention to the ENT that I might have a swollen lymph node under my right arm pit. I'm not fully sure. It doesn't hurt but in the center, it looks like a little lump about the size of a kidney bean that is visible. The ones on neck aren't visible but can be felt. I don't know if it's misplaced fat under the arm (just saying) or an actual lymph node. I've lost 84 lbs. & I'm currently 172 lbs. so not too heavy but still got a good bit of meat on my bones LOL. I've got a little ways to go but it's hard when I'm so tired. I try not to overreact but it's concerning. Anyone have any updates or any new info or advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.