Can antibiotics make things worse?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there... So, a few weeks ago I slipped into a relapse. (I’m mostly house bound & bed/ sofa bound  anyway)  but I got a water infection & my friend took a sample to the docs & picked up a 7 day course of antibiotics. I take no other medication do to being  super sensitive to everything I’ve tried, but take an array of supplements. Things got a whole lot worse - to the point I didn’t know if I’d make it through the week. I just wonderer if anyone else had experienced this with antibiotics? On the plus side the water infection seems to have gone. I finished the course yesterday, so hoping I will pick up. Any advice would be grateful. Thank you 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you take nitrofurantoin?
    • Posted

This was the antibiotic that made me feel horrendous. I felt like my whole nervous system was destroyed after taking this it was horrible so i really feel for you!
    • Posted

Wow, that explains a lot. My nerves all over my body are screaming at me even more than normal. I guess I had no option but to take them, as I tried for 5 days to trest myself with cranberry tablets to no avail. Hopefully things will pick up now I am off them. 
    • Posted

Hi again pet,

Potassium citrate helped my urine infection. Its in liquid form

Beverley

• Posted

Thanks for the tip Beverley. I will certainly bare that in mind in future. I don’t want to take them tablets again! 

Thanks again, Pet. 

• Posted

After my awful experience with the antibiotic i did quite a bit of research on natural remedies for water infection and i came across something called D-mannose. I take this whenever i have a water infection. It's a simple sugar so it has no side effects and is very safe to use. It is also safe to use if you have diabetes. D-mannose works on water infections caused by salmonella bacteria so their is a risk it may not work if it's caused by another bacteria but it's worth the try.

What symptoms have you had since taking the antibiotics?

• Posted

Thank you for the tip. It might be wise to get these in so I’m never caught out. Sometimes if I catch it  early enough the triple strength cranberry concentrate tablets will do the trick but not this time. As I was in a relapse when it came on  I want sure if it was the relapse, the water infection, the extra trips to the bathroom (which I found very hard )  or the tablets that were making me feel so awful.  My body felt so heavy & legs couldn’t hold me up (I only weigh 8 stone) felt so weak like my body was dying inside. The pain was a lot worse everywhere, especially in my legs. I always feel pins & needles & prickly but it was a lot more intense.  I felt very hot, headachey & generally all m.e symptoms were a lot worse... I hardly had the energy to speak & felt not with it. I still can’t think straight so probably  not covered it all  & don’t really want to think about it. Today I feel a little stronger to stand but not for many seconds. It should be out my system now so hopefully get stronger every day. Thanks again  for the tip 

• Posted

It took me a good few days to feel less ill from the antibiotics and i felt kind of toxic?

The urine infection i had was unbearably painful. It was making me sweat it was so bad and i couldn't walk. I was trying to drink lots of drinks but going to the bathroom was awful too. I've never had anything as bad as that and i wondered if it was something in the water as i went to a different county and after two days and the potassium citrate it cleared up. We had had wide spread flooding in the area immediately before mine and a friend also with cfs/me who lives near me got the same infection. Hence i wondered about the water being either contaminated or they'd used an extra chemical to clean it due to contamination. Her condition lasted longer than mine and believe she ended up with two lots of antibiotics which made her feel poorly too.

So hard to trace back to causes sometimes and although they seem to have such a negative effect on some of us with this condition, they are sometimes a necessary evil.

Beverley

• Posted

Yes I can relate to that feeling. The mind boggles as to the cause. I only ever drink Evian bottled water as I have an allergy to tap water. (It gives me tonsillitis.)  the floods you had sounded awful. Like you say the water was maybe contaminated, I guess you’ll never know. I will definately get the potassium citrate in. Does it tell you how much to take & how often? 

• Posted

Hi there,

Yes, antibiotics have made me feel alot worse in the past but that has then cleared up. But, this hot weather is making me feel worse right now so that may have added to how bad you are feeling too?

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverly, you’re right with the weather, it’s really draining so mabye contributing to it.  So did you begin to pick up after antibiotics were finished when you had them before? 
    • Posted

And yes, felt better afterwards. Was hot and flu like on them-awful. Much worse cfs/me than before. Had them for urine infection and mouth infection after wisdom tooth was removed.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.