Can antibiotics make things worse?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there... So, a few weeks ago I slipped into a relapse. (I’m mostly house bound & bed/ sofa bound  anyway)  but I got a water infection & my friend took a sample to the docs & picked up a 7 day course of antibiotics. I take no other medication do to being  super sensitive to everything I’ve tried, but take an array of supplements. Things got a whole lot worse - to the point I didn’t know if I’d make it through the week. I just wonderer if anyone else had experienced this with antibiotics? On the plus side the water infection seems to have gone. I finished the course yesterday, so hoping I will pick up. Any advice would be grateful. Thank you 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I took this and it completely f.cked everything up. it was almost like going cold turkey from drugs or something. horrific experience. i only took it for 3 days and lost quarter of a stone

• Posted

Ooh they were nasty things. Good job you stopped after 3 days. They shot my nerve endings to pieces. I’ve put this on my list of things never to take again!

• Posted

I've just stopped taking these antibiotics yesterday which I was only told to take for 3 days and I still feel dreadful - spaced out, nausea, no appetite, numbness in my body, etc and I'm not even sure if the infection is gone! The side effects feel like the infection did in the first place so it's hard to tell. I hate antibiotics!!!! It's bad enough having ME/CFS in the first place without all this extra strain on the body.

• Posted

Oh I feel for you Elaine. They are nasty drugs. I had them for 7 days & my infection came back a few days later too! I will sure as hell never take them again. I was given some great advice on here on alternative things to take. One being sodium citrate sachets (from boots) the other being a herbal remedy - uva ursa drops (that worked the best for me, you can get this online. Plus if I feel a slightest hint of an infection coming on I keep triple strength cranberry tablets in from Holland & Barrett & most of the time that can sort it before it comes to anything. I must admit since I’ve been taking Restore mineral supplement the last few months I’ve had no water infections (touching wood) I hope you can manage to rest up & allow the waves to pass. Sending healing your way 😃

• Posted

Had to go to doctors as I feel worse again. It's not gone away and is in my kidneys now so have to take the antiobiotics again! I'll definitely look into some of the other suggestions and try and ward it off early next time. Thanks for the tips! Off to take my first dose and am dreading it but at least I've lost weight as I feel too ill to eat anything!

• Posted

Oh my goodness, are there no alternatives to that one? Hang on in there girl! 💪🏼 wishing you a speedy recovery. Remember “it will pass” pardon the pun!

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.