Can any1 help, I have tried everything?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello to everyone on this site. I am a 45 year old woman with a bad drink problem and I am desperate to quit as I am terrified of dying. I have tried AA which wasn't for me, I have previously been referred by my GP for 1 on 1 counselling sessions and also group therapy. I have even forked out more than £300 for hypnotherapy as that helped me to quit smoking, and at the moment I am reading Allen Carr's book for the second time. Nothing has worked, I have managed to quit 4 weeks at the most. I am so fed up of it now cause it causes nothing but rows with my husband. I don't drink every day but am drinking at least 4 times a week, which wouldn't be as bad but I have to binge drink, once I start I am unable to stop until I pass out. I try not to drink round my husband now cause of the rows, but cause he does shift work I can drink during the week when he is on lates and evenings. On these nights I usually have a bottle and a half of 13% wine or 35ml of Gin with lemonade, or 4 pint cans of carling, if I am on a weekend binge I have put away nearly 3 bottles of wine. I'd like to say that at least I don't drink during the day, but in the last 2 years I have had about 6 or 7 binges that lasted a couple of days. I just really want to quit for good, I am so sick and tired of thinking about alcohol, cause that is all I seem to do. While I am at work during the day my mind has a constant battle going on with the good angel and the bad devil (shall I drink tonight, yes, no, yes, no), it drives me crazy. Anyway sorry to rabble on just really looking for any advice or tips and to share my story x

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The pathway in your brain that has associated alcohol = reward has been strengthened by repeated reinforcement of drinking.  It therefore demands/craves alcohol as a way to satisfy it - hence the continued battle as you constantly try not to give into it, or try maintain control if you do give in to it.

Try reading this short write up and if you think it makes sense to you, you can get more information about it. This is what worked for me, and others on this forum, and is currently working for others on this forum right now.  It will help you gradually reduce your drinking to abstinence if you wish.

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

• Posted

Thank u so much for your swift response Joanne, may I ask what your drink patterns were before u tried the Sinclair method. I have started to keep a diary of the amount of units I consume and so far this year I am ashamed to say it is already up to 500 units 😞

• Posted

I was a 65-75 unit a week lass myself, minumum.  This method is suitable for all kinds of drinkers though.

If you google c3 foundaton europe joannas tsm journey, my entire story of recovery is documented there.  I documented it as it was happening so parts of it are raw and emotional, but it might be interesting for you nonetheless.

I agree with what RHGB wrote.  This is a medical condition that can be resolved by treating it as a medical condition.  My problem was in existence for 20+ years, and I was in traditional style treatment for 10 of those, but it wasn't until I started looking into a medical solution for my problem that things actually started to improve.  It took me 8 months on this method to completely extinguish all my cravings, so it's important to realise it is not a quick fix, but I wish I had known about it many years before I did.  If I had, I could've saved myself (and my loved ones) many years of hell.

• Posted

Hi Joanna

Medication was the only route for me and thanks to your sound guidance on here it has been successful.I am exactly 4 months into TSM now .I don't really get cravings now and sort of plan a drink once a week to keep the process going.Once I have taken the nalmefene I slightly look forward to the thought of a drink although I don't usually enjoy it when i do have it ! Would you think this is a sign that my cravings are being extinguished ? Just seems a bit early though hence my trying to keep the process going 😊

• Posted

Yes, I think so Nat biggrin

A good way to test that would be to try stretch that once a week, to once every week and a half.  If, in the meantime, you get the urge to drink, then take the tablet and have the drink and you will be one step nearer again.

Then try stretch it to two weeks.  But be aware that if you leave it too long, some side effects may reappear with the nalmefene.  If they do, then we can look to get you onto naltrexone which doesn't seem to have the same issue. 

See how things go :-)

And well done, you should be very proud of yourself.  The tablet is a tool, but it also takes work from you and you are doing that brilliantly.

x

• Posted

Thanks Joanna for that.Yep I will try and stretch that to a week and a half and see how it goes.I already get a few side effects back after a week so it might be part of the reason not enjoying the alcohol .Will see how it goes and I am certainly already thinking of Naltrexone for the future. Thanks for your reply and your always useful advice 😊x

• Posted

Medication, is the only route for the majority of people.

Alcohol is a drug, that over time, from over use, affects the mind and causes changes. It then leaves the mind unable to not think about alcohol. It leads to a constant battle, where the logical side, says, stop drinking, it is not good for you. Against the receptors in the brain, that nag you continually for alcohol. A situation that can almost drive people mad.

This constant battle in the brain, leaves people mentally tired and at some point, they give in, have alcohol, and finally feel relaxed. The only real way to put the brain back to where it was, is with drugs, medication specifically designed to act on the receptors of the brain that demand alcohol.

There are two types of medication, Campral and Selincro. Personally, I think Selincro is most suitable in your situation. I have not used it myself (I used Campral), so I'll leave it up to some other forum members who have used it to give you feedback on it.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply RHGB, I have tried Campral in the past, but because I am already on anti depressants they actually made me more depressed. I understand what u are saying tho about how our minds work, I just wish I could break this addiction. At the moment except for the rows with my husband and a few bruises I have been very lucky, I still have a job, home, family etc, but when I see a homeless person I say to myself that could easily be me if I carry on the way I am going 😞

• Posted

Yes, different medications are for different people and different situations.

You can break the addiction, but not by willpower alone. I have witnessed people who have, but they become obsessed with not drinking, so they really have just switched one addiction to another.

What you need, is to be able to go back to the situation, where your brain does not constantly have alcohol on your mind and if you have some in the house, you can take it or leave it.

For your situation, I suggested Selincro would be the better option. Your next step is how to get it prescribed, which sometimes involves a bit of work, but is worth it. Joanna is the best person to advise the situation in your area.

I know right at this moment, it is probably hard for you to believe, but it really does work for a large percentage of people.

• Posted

Thanks Joanne and RHGB, I will definitely check out your story later Joanne. RHGB do u mind me asking what your drinking patterns were before u quit with the medication? Also has anyone read Alan Carrs book and did it work for them. I am so scared to carry on drinking so why do I bloody do it???? If and when I manage to stop do u think I would need to detox, I am currently on between 30 to 45 units a week. I have heard some bad stories about suddenly stopping and that really scares me too, would I also need to go for a liver scan? I hate the person I am when I drink and I have become so devious, for instance one of my methods to try and stop was to give my bank and credit card to my husband so I couldn't get any money to buy drink, but I have found ways round that by swapping my old credit card with my current one. I always drink gin when my husband is at work so he can't smell it on my breath when he gets home, although he can still tell sometimes if I slur. I just want to be normal 😞

• Posted

Well I have bought myself a 35cl bottle of gin to have tonight with lemonade, just like last night and Monday night, but this time I want to make it my last drink. It would be great if I could keep coming on here for support during my journey 😀

• Posted

Christine -

I'll jump in here on the side of Medication Assisted Treatment in general and The Sinclair Method in particular. The traditional approach of strict abstinence has about a 10% success rate (across all forms) over a 4 year period, yet it's what's offered 90% of the time. One should give it a go first, but if you look about a bit you can perhaps see that continuing to attempt it often leads to relapse. But unlike with cancer and other medical conditions, when the traditional "treatment" fails it's the patient that's blamed. 

As RHGB suggests, for the best outcome in terms of time and efficacy, Medically Assisted Treatment offers the most reliable results. One medication (alcohol) put the problem there, another can help remove it. 

As Joanna mentioned, for some of us (about 7% of the population), using alcohol causes a change in the Reward System in the brain. It begins to associate alcohol with pleasure. That part of the brain is part of our survival mechanism and compels us to run from pain and towards pleasure. Once alcohol "programs" that part of the brain, one feels compelled to pursue the drink even against one's better judgement.

We're literally of two minds about drinking, the conscious part wants us to quit, while the unconscious part (this has been calle the "Lizard Brain"wink has fallen in love with alcohol and knows how to compel us to obtain and use it, overriding the conscious objections. You may have noticed that the conscious and unconscious part don't communicate very well. 

The Sinclair Method uses a medication to block the pleasure that alcohol brings and that causes the unwanted programming to fade, as the Lizard Brain finds that alcohol no longer brings the pleasure that it seeks. The extra synapses that drinking put there begin to shrink and become fewer in number as we prove to the brain again and again (by drinking while on Selincro or Naltrexone) that alcohol does not give the pleasure it seeks.

The method does this by blocking the endorphins that alcohol releases. No endorphins, no pleasure. The addicted part of the brain begins to forget that alcohol is good for anything in particular and the unwarranted bias towards drinking is eventually erased, bit by bit. Don't worry, it won't take nearly as long to remove it as it took to put it there. 

After drinking every evening for over 30 years (the last two saw me drinking at least 12 beers per evening), it came to the point where I was mainly nursing my hangover till it was time to start drinking again. I read about The Sinclair Method (TSM), decided it was well past time to rid myself of booze and I understood how TSM would help me do that.

I started TSM in January of 2016 and by July that year, I had reduced my drinking to less than a 6-pack per month. Since then, I've had 12 in a month a couple of times, but mostly a 6 pack or less. Except for one instance, less than 6 per sitting. I generally don't think about alcohol anymore. It has simply lost sway over me and even when I do drink, I lose interest in it fairly quickly. The other night I decided to have a pint, but lost interest and poured over 3/4's of it down the drain. 

Alcohol used to be my master. Now it's my servant (and one that mostly sits idle). 

• Posted

Very good reply ADEfree and you are an inspiration to us all!! Christine can read your reply and those from RHGB and JOanneC3 since they always give fab replies as well.. Best of luck Christine and perhaps tomorrow is your day with no drinking??? Robin
    • Posted

Lets hope so Robin. Just need to know if it is safe for me to quit cold turkey and if I can expect any withdrawal symptoms x
    • Posted

Most people need medication in order to stop and it all depends on your personal circumstances. I would suggest medical advice initiallly. However, I stopped 4 1/2 years ago cold turkey and had no side effects at all. Drink very heavily every day for many years but careful I say and do not necesarily follow my example...best of luck! Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin, well at the moment I am drinking around 15 units 3 or 4 times a week with a big binge about once a month so I think cold turkey should be fine physically, just got the mental side of things to deal with. Hoping to update on here every day and see how I get on, thanks for your advice x
    • Posted

Yes, a typical day would be, get up, take the dog for a walk. Shower and go to a fairly good manangment job. Come home, park the car (company car, so DD was completely out of the question), walk the 30 seconds to the pub, drink four pints, go back home. Take the dog out for a walk. Put something in the oven to eat, drink four cans of strong cider. Go to bed, next day, get up take the dog four a walk, you get the gist.

Alan Carr's book is on my list, but not read it yet. Whilst everyone is different, the fact that you have days without drinking, means that you are not alcohol dependent and unlikely to need a detox. I don't think you have previously drunk enough to warrant an ultrasound.

I would be very surprised it tonight's drink is your last drink. As soon as you get an evening to yourself, you will drink again.

• Posted

That was a brilliant reply and does show that there is hope for us all. Its not easy and to be honest i am seriously considering going back to my doctor about medication. I am finding that wiil power alone just isnt enough. I have to get better for me and my family.
    • Posted

Thank you, Sharon! Please keep letting us know how you're getting along and how the talk with your doctor goes. Physicians don't get much schooling on addictions in general, though some are better than others. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.