Can any1 help, I have tried everything?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello to everyone on this site. I am a 45 year old woman with a bad drink problem and I am desperate to quit as I am terrified of dying. I have tried AA which wasn't for me, I have previously been referred by my GP for 1 on 1 counselling sessions and also group therapy. I have even forked out more than £300 for hypnotherapy as that helped me to quit smoking, and at the moment I am reading Allen Carr's book for the second time. Nothing has worked, I have managed to quit 4 weeks at the most. I am so fed up of it now cause it causes nothing but rows with my husband. I don't drink every day but am drinking at least 4 times a week, which wouldn't be as bad but I have to binge drink, once I start I am unable to stop until I pass out. I try not to drink round my husband now cause of the rows, but cause he does shift work I can drink during the week when he is on lates and evenings. On these nights I usually have a bottle and a half of 13% wine or 35ml of Gin with lemonade, or 4 pint cans of carling, if I am on a weekend binge I have put away nearly 3 bottles of wine. I'd like to say that at least I don't drink during the day, but in the last 2 years I have had about 6 or 7 binges that lasted a couple of days. I just really want to quit for good, I am so sick and tired of thinking about alcohol, cause that is all I seem to do. While I am at work during the day my mind has a constant battle going on with the good angel and the bad devil (shall I drink tonight, yes, no, yes, no), it drives me crazy. Anyway sorry to rabble on just really looking for any advice or tips and to share my story x

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How is Easter shaping up for you?? Just wondering how you are coping....Robin
    • Posted

Thanks for asking Robin, and I am not doing too well. I have had a drink on the last 3 nights, just can't seem to resist. What I am most scared of though is because I have got the week off work I am worried about being tempted to have a full day binge like I have done before when I have been off work. Last time i did that I was so ill afterwards and I never wanna feel like that again 😞

• Posted

If you don't fill your week, so that you are busy doing things, you are almost guaranteed to have a binge.

• Posted

I have made a list of all the spring cleaning I need to do and hoping that will help, even though I hate doing housework lol x
    • Posted

Take Robin's advice Christine and fill up  your week, Dont dont fill it with all the boring stuff that you wont enjoy though as you are more likely to cave.Get out and about  and maybe meet a friend if you can, You will feel so  so good if you can avoid that bingebiggrin 

• Posted

I meant RHGB's advice ooops 

• Posted

I know how you feel. Dont give in if you can...its hard i know but just take it a day at a time. x
  • Posted

Hello I am back again but I have been following everyone else's journeys and am so happy for u guys who have been fighting this. Anyway I thought I would be fine, just thought I would finish Allen Carrs book and then that would be it no more drink. Now I'm not saying the book is no good as it obviously works for some people so anyone thinking of giving it a go please do as we are all different and what doesn't work for 1 person doesn't mean that it won't work for other people, it's like diets and believe me I have tried most of them as well 😐. Anyway finished it on Sunday and at the end of the book it tells you to have a particularly foul tasting drink such as a neat spirit as your final drink, this then puts it in your brain how nasty this poison tastes. Anyway I had a miniature bottle of gin last night which of course was nasty cause I never drink meat spirits and I was thinking right that's it, I can't drink anymore as I had a dentist appt this afternoon to have a tooth out and so I thought I won't be able to drink for a few days after either so should give it a few days for maybe this method to work, however (let me apologise in advance for the really long post) when I got to the dentist he says he is not going to take it out today cause the pain should clear within a few days after the nasty filling I had last week. So all the way home I was fighting my usual battle about buying a drink on the way home and I afraid the bad Christine won 😢. So I have got a 35ml bottle of gin to drink with my lemonade. What on earth is it going to take for me to stop doing this, I am drinking poison and I want to lose weight and I love waking up with a clear head so why the f**k can't I stop, I am so frustrated with myself!!!. I was really worried that last week when I had a week off work that I would spend the week binging but I managed to just have a 1 night binge which consisted of 2 bottles of wine and 3 cans of Stella. And I had 5 pints of Stella on Fri night, so wasn't as bad as it could of been but of course my husband was very angry with me, rightly so. Anyway I know some people have suggested the medication route but there is a good reason why I don't want to go down that road again. 2 years ago I decided to start driving lessons thinking having my own transport would enable me to be able to get out and about and do all the things I enjoy such as swimming and amateur dramatics, thinking this would def help with my drinking, as the hubby works shifts he is not able to give me lifts to these places and I live too far from them. Plus I know I would never drink and drive so this would help me not to drink as often. Anyway when I applied for my provisional driving license I stupidly (or not) I told the truth about my medical history and I got my license but only for a year. So I did all my lessons and passed my theory test. I did my driving test but unfortunately failed but only down to one error. So as soon as I got back home I managed to get a cancellation for another test a couple of weeks later. In the meantime my provisional was due for renewal and I had to fill in another medical form and they also wrote to my docs and because I had been to my docs twice within that last year due to my drinking they revoked my license, this was just 2 days after I had failed my test, so of course I had to cancel my new test and was told I could not reapply for my license for another year which I was gutted about. Anyway I have just recently sent off to renew my license and I have not been to the docs since about my drinking as I don't want anything to show on my medical record. And I don't want to go back to the docs until I have my full driving license. You would think that would help me stop drinking cause of how much I want my license, but nooooooooo not even that, so I guess I am out of options. Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to listen to my ramblings I just needed to get it all out especially as I am feeling the guilt of drinking again 😢Xxx

• Posted

Christine -

Have another look at Joanna's original reply. That's the method I used after 30 years of daily drinking, now I'm generally drinking less than a 6 pack per month. 

The problem here is that a part of your brain that isn't conscious (and doesn't communicate well with the conscious part) basically fell in love with alcohol. The question is how can one access that unconscious part and fall out of love with the drink? TSM does that bit by bit, slowly backing the addiction out the way it came in. It took me 6 months to reach my goal via TSM, but every month I was drinking less than the month before, so I was heartened by my progress. 

The lion's share of people that get themselves trapped on the booze-go-round won't be able to control that unconscious part of the brain with conscious imperatives. It will always find a way to compel you to drink. TSM is the best way I have seen to erase that compulsion. 

If you don't want to go to your doctor about it, I believe Joanna knows of some private clinics that can write a Naltrexone prescription for you. 

RHGB also spoke of Campral, which is another way to go, but it does take a couple of weeks to kick in. There are indeed other meds you can use against Alcohol Use Disorder, but TSM has the highest success rate, as far as I have seen. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Ade, and I must admit I have heard a lot of good things about the TSM method. It would be great if Joanne could advise of any local private clinics where I could get a prescription as I really don't want it on my medical record x

• Posted

Joanna may see this and send you a PM, but you can also go to the C3FoundationEurope website and click on the Contact link. It might take a bit of time for her to get back to you, as also has a business to run and her schedule can be very volitile, but if you don't hear back, please PM me and I'll help you get the info the one way or the other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.