Can anybody help me?! Doc says Migraine..???

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello,

I am new to this so please bare with me and i apologise for the long post.

Im at 26 year old female.

Began to feel unwell end of February (approx. 27th)

Saw GP on 5th March. Symptoms:

·      Pressure behind eye

·      Shooting pains in head

·      Tiredness

·      Blocked ears

Outcome: Pressure behind eyes check and antibiotics given, possibly sinusitis.

(unsure of date) Attended A&E for ‘Blind spot and visual disturbances.

25th March, Still no improvement – saw GP. Symptoms:

·      Blocked ears

·      Pain in eye

·      Tiredness

·      Dizziness (feels as if ground is moving)

·      Tingling in lips

·      Nausea.

Outcome: commenced taking Propanalol 12mg

(Unsure of date) Attended A&E during the night for numbness in left side of face.  (unsure of date)

15th April CT Scan

GP appointment following CT scan: All symptoms still present.

·      Blocked ears (most in the evenings)

·      Pressure in temples, side of face and jaw.

·      Nausea

·      Tingling lips

·      Dizziness

·      Fuzzy/ drunk feeling

·      Cold top of head

·      Numbness in left side of face

·      Feeling worse in the evenings and lying down

End of April – Nexplanon contraceptive implant removed. Most symptoms disappear except numbness in left side of face.

7th May, Appointment with Dr Gibson – Stopped taking Propanalol slowly.

2 ½ weeks later all symptoms return.

·      Numbness in face going down neck at times

·      Extreme tiredness

·      Nausea

·      Fuzzy/drunk feeling

·      Headaches all the time

(Unsure of date) A&E attendance – Severe pain in right shoulder travelling down arm.

5th June GP Appointment- recommenced Propanalol.

8th June Symptoms noticeably reduce.

15th June: All symptoms return:

·      Numbness in left side of face, travelling down neck at times.

·      Headaches

17th June: Extremely bad day!!

·      Numbness in left side of face travelling down neck at times

·      Constant headache

·      Shooting  ‘electric shock’ in head

·      Severe pain in head that lasts max 30secs (comes and goes)

·      Feeling very unwell

·      Immense pressure in head

·      Very hot and sweaty at times

·      Neck pain

·      Nausea and a full feeling

·      Shoulder pain (fluctuating)

·      Hot poker feeling  left thigh through back of leg

·      Fuzzy (drunk feeling

·      Twitching in head or eyes (occasionally)

18th June Called GP – WORST EVER FELT!! Continually fluctuating day to day severity.

25th June - Called Orthodontist to enquire if fixed brace may cause migraine. Dentist assured me this was not possible.

I have monitored what I eat, daily activities etc and can not recognize a trigger.

Been commenced on Topiramate 50mg for the past 4 weeks with unfortunately no effect ( except awful side effects) due to see Neurologist again next week. 

Has any one experienced anything similar??

Thnakyou in advance

Robyn x

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello,

That is really interesting, i will mention that to my neurologist next week.

Thankyou for your help. I will keep you posted

• Posted

Hi Robyn this sounds exactly like my symptons which is Hemiplegic migrane

I have the same but without the headache  but the numb face and arm,

I had an MRI scan yesterday so awaiting results as I hope it is this and not something worse. 

I was put on propranolol and sumatriptan for the attack but the neurologist said don't take anything as they are for headaches. 

You do feel totally in your own with this especially with medical staff but your not on your own I found this the only good website on the net. 

Ant time you want a chat let me know 

Regards 

Mark 

• Posted

Hi Mark Thank you for responding.

Good luck with your MRI results. 

Have they told you medication they may commence you on?

Im on topiramte.. horrible drug and i'm going to ask the consultant to come off it on tuesday.

I have been googling Flunarizine, who personal20 is taking and says it help so i may sugguest that as it seems it doesnt have ll the nasty side effects that topiramate comes with.

Do you experience your symptoms daily?

• Posted

Hello,

I'm new to this forum too and stumbled across hemiplegic migraine today which seems to fit with the strange symptoms I've been having. I'm a 38 year old female and have never had problems with headaches before, but my sister gets migraines. 

Four months ago I was lying in bed and heard what I can only describe as clunk clunk noises in my head for a few seconds. Then the left of my head went numb. Thought I was having a stroke. Next morning I was dizzy and nauseous. 

Had an MRI which came back clear. Neurologist seemed dismissive but said I had a migraine. But didn't say anything about hemiplegic. 

I've been getting more and more depressed with strange symptoms. Bad headaches, always on the left side in the same place. Numbness in my left foot and left side of face and tongue, sometimes the left lower base of my spine. Not as bad as some are describing here. Sometimes a numb right hand finger tip too. 

No doctor has given me any reassurance and one said the numbness and near fainting might all be due to panic attacks. I believed that theory for a while, but then wondered why it was specific to my left side. 

I've tried beta blockers, but they did not help. 

Also, I'm a musician, so my numb tongue really concerns me. 

Pleased to find this forum anyway. I was considering a wheat free diet after starting to read a book called Grain Brain. 

These symptoms are so terrifying, but if I can put them to HM then I can possibly start to understand the situation better and start feeling better. 

I keep thinking it must be a brain tumour or stroke becuase I don't experience aura or see any flickering lights. Also the symptoms go on and on. Rather than what I thought I understood what a migraine was, about three days.

How can you know if you have HM for sure? I'm going to go back to my doctor and check. 

Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Penny,

Well the symptoms you describe are certainly matching Hemaplegic Migraine quite well and your neurologist shouldnt be so dismissive as its not nice at all to have this aweful condition,

suggest Flunarizine to your neurologist, as mine says its the best for treating this condition and its proving right so far with me, my attacks have not been as long or so severe since I started taking them.

The main thing is, you didnt have a stroke and MRI confirms all is well.

Keep in touch Penny and update us when you can.

Support and someone who listens to you is here!

Good luck and take care

• Posted

Hi Steve 

Sorry been away. I haven't tried injections yet I haven't got the courage rolleyes

Hope you are well

• Posted

Hi Penny,

I suffer with similar symptoms as you can see above. 

I'd go to a different doctor if I were you. I have tried beta blockers, topirimate with no success but recently on flunarizine. Same as personal20. It takes 8-12 weeks to work so I'm crossing my fingers. 

I have had symptoms every day since February and it has been hell! So I understand how you feel. 

I still struggle with my migraine diagnosis as it I didn't realise what mugraines were I thought there must be something very bad wrong. 

My neurologist is great and reassuring but if these new meds don't work I'll have to try something else. He thinks mine are caused by hormones... Does this have any relation to you? 

Hope you're okay. Robyn 

• Posted

Hi Robyn,

Hope you had a nice time.

I am no bad thanks, had an injection today after exericse, but this is first one this week!

So, the pain from the injection is really short lived and compared with the searing pain of cluster headaches, it really is worth it!

Good luck and let me know how you get on,

Take care

• Posted

Robyn, 

I have almost all the same symptoms.  Although the my Dr. Hasn't given me a specific cause, She has however came across a prescription that relieves most of my symptoms (accidental discovery while treating for depression). She prescribed me a medication called Pristiq.  It's expensive but so far has helped me tremendously. Relieved the "electric shocking", unless I forget to take it, relieved the numb and tingling feeling almost completely. The drunk feeling I still get and the dizziness still occurs. But the worst of them are relieved by the pristiq. Dr. Hasn't yet figured out the connection.  Hope this helps. Feel better soon!

Judy

• Posted

Thid drug Pristiq you are taking seems interesting, although my neurologist says that I have tried everything now and have very little room to move!

I did a bit of research on this drug, but I am not convinced it would work for me, although I dont know that until I have tried it.  Glad it works well for you, will mention this drug to my neurologist next time I see him,

Good luck Judy

• Posted

im male 17, im experiencing a constant cold feeling in my left head(no pain), eye pain (atleast once to twice a day, looks like on the back of my eye), never felt nausea, but, it makes me anxious so i force myself to vomit. I havent see a doctor, this was going.about 2weeks until now, i hope its nothing serious. sad Godbless and hope.you guys will feel okay soon, 
    • Posted

your first step is to see your dr, to get a diagnosis or to be refered on to a neurologist.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress

• Posted

I will, thank you. Godbless pray for me my friend, hope its nothing serious 
  • Posted

Hi Robyn, everyone,

New to here this evening/morning with a ridiculous list of symptoms.

Been a migraine sufferer since early teens. Always right side or back of head gradually getting more frequent to this point were I'm laid out at least 2/3 times a month.

Had tompirimate & propnalol a few years ago but the topirimate made me crash my car as I was so out of it!! Not badly at all, but enough to suggest it didn't suit.

I now have sumatriptan injections, rizotriptan melts, codiene tablets, buccastem melts, amitriptaline and diclofenac suppositories - all of which I have to mix and match, so to speak, depending how it feels like it's coming on. I take the amitriptaline nightly and am on sertraline separately.

Recently my usual migraines have been getting more frequent, but less severe in terms of actual head pain.

The last two months I have had three 'weird' attacks where the pain starts behind my left eye and the whole of the left side of my face & neck goes numb, often with a feeling like it is hard to swallow. The first one like this brought with it tingling fingers, shooting pains in my wrists, hands and calves & thighs. Hot feeling itchy/crawly skin, an electric feeling all over my body and tingly feets.

These symptoms haven't really gone away for the last two months but to varying degrees of severity.

The last 4 days I've barely been able to sleep the pain in my limbs has been so bad - sharp enough to really take my breath away. Oh, and I'm exhausted ALL the time too.

I have an appointment with a neurologist at the end of this month & the Dr has prescribed propanolol long release in the interim to try and prevent another attack as I'm barely functioning.

Tightness & pain in chest and sore ribs started today too.

Anyone have any clues? I feel like I am literally falling apart.

Becx

• Posted

Hi Safarimouse

Welcome to this forum!

Ok it sounds like you have a combination of symptoms that like myself I have been diagnosed with cluster headache and hemiplegic migraine.

The sumatriptan injections are great for getting rid of that aweful pain from cluster headache, and what my neurologist prefers me to use, they will leave you a bit sleepy though, but you probably found this.

My meds for prevention of this are Pregabalin and Verapamil, for the hemiplegic migraine I have Flunarizine.  These meds have helped me a lot, though not cured.  They help me to lead a normal life as possible.

The codiene I am told by my neurologist is BAD for me so I would suggest this wont help you either.

Good luck at neurologist, soon and hope you get somewhere.

Always here to listen and support you if we can, Safarimouse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.