Can anyone help? Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this but I really need some answers. I've had so many tests, most come back with hyper thyroid, I've lost so much weight. From 10 to a 6 in a few weeks really. I get so sick in the stomach but don't always throw up. I get sweats, trouble sleeping, always feel fatigue though, head aches and missed periods. My stomach feels awful most of the time, I can't drink, makes me feel ill. I suffer from aniexty and depression.. I've always been thin, I'm so picky with food now too as it seems everything upsets my stomach. It feels like these hormones are poising my body.. How did you guys know you had hyper? What were you first signs.. I think I have had this for a long time but always put it down to something else. Waiting for some more test results next week but I'm so stressed about this I need answers.. If anyone can help pls reply below. I would appreciate any advice. smile

Xx

Dreamer girl X

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rapid heart rate, heat intolerance, eye irritation, finally blood tests, ultrasound and uptake scan confirmed the diagnosis of Graves disease.  If you have had it a long time, you have lost important vitamins, minerals and amino acids from your body.  Though your doc will prescribe thyroid hormone blocking meds, if you add supplements to replace these lost vitamins, minerals and amino acids, you will heal faster.  I took the meds for 2 years and it blocked the excess thyroid hormones but my TSH was less than 0.001 for that period of time until I started adding supplements like L-carnitine 3,000 mg (I asked to be tested for it and was found to be deficient), vitamin D3 1,000 to 5,000 IU (also was tested and found to be deficient), Magnesium 200 mg daily.  Also took omega 3, 1,000 mg and curcumin for inflammation.  The docs will not know or tell you about the supplements.  For anxiety, there is Motherwort and Melissa.  It made a tremendous difference to my recovery along with Methimazole (Carbimazole in England).  I am currently in remission on a low dose of meds.  Do not let the docs push you into having RAI or thyroid surgery.  Meds and supplements are the best chance for remission.
    • Posted

Hello Linda

Am new here. I was diagnosed of Hyperthyroid in April and my results were t4- 45, t3- 23, tsh- 0.0005 my Dr give me Carbimazole 20mg and Propranolol 40mg after 6 weeks i did another test and my t4-10, t3- 6, tsh- still 0.0005.

Do I still need really to keep taking the Propranolol?

• Posted

Hi Charles.  Though we have a lot of similarities, we are all individuals in responding to this disease.  For myself, my values (other than TSH) were not too far over the normal range when I was diagnosed and FT3 and FT4 immediately normalized on 10 mg of Methimazole (like Carbimazole in the UK).  However, it took about 6 to 8 weeks to complete testing before I was started on antithyroid meds and during that time, my doc insisted I take Propranolol.  Even then I took it as needed and not daily as she prescribed it.  Have used it that way still.  If I get heart symptoms, I take a half a tablet.  I was 60 years old at diagnosis.  Most of the time, I don't need it.  But as I said, each individual is different.  If your values are much higher than mine were, then you might need it daily.  Currently all my values are within the normal range, even TSH and that was the most difficult one to get to rise but I was able to get it to rise after two years at less than 0.0001 by taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine but I would not recommend anyone take this without learning all about it and learning how to manage it because it is extremely sensitive and requires frequent monitoring and dosage adjustments to avoid going HYPO.  I currently take Methimazole 2.5 mg 3 times a week to keep my values consistent.  Stress avoidance is very important also.

• Posted

Thanks Linda. Maybe I keep taking it till I do my next test in 6 weeks
  • Posted

Hello Dreamer Girl.

I was diagnosed in Jan 15 with Graves Disease (Hyperactive Thyroid ). I too lost a lot of weight not sure what my dress size was but i was a size 8 before i got sick and when diagnosed size 8 was swimming on me. I was 40.2kilos when i went to doctor.

I was put on beta blockers and carbimazole. Im also taking Vit D and have started taking Naturopathy Herbal Medicines. Not sure if it's working, but i can say I'm feeling pretty good these days. I go for more bloods in 2 weeks. I wish the puffiness under eyes would go away.

You will start feeling better once your on medication. You need to be careful of a Thyroid Storm while waiting to be medicated.

Good Luck

Jody

• Posted

Hi Jody

What were your thyroid screening test results please.

Did you have a scan of your thyroid?

Jean

• Posted

Sorry Jody meant to ask you what Naturopath meds were you put on?

Pls PM me if you don't mind.

Many thanks

Jean

• Posted

Thanks heaps Jody! Cool name! Lol seems like we have like identical symptoms.. 40kg wow.. Lowest I've been was 42kg and we put it down to work stress years back.. Maybe it was this.. I never had been tested for it.. I did reply below all the comments too. Sorry new to this X
    • Posted

Jean

I sent you a pm message with info.

Yes i had iodine uptake test and it came back with Graves.

My last bloods were slightly hyper. Tsh - 0.03. Ft4 25. Ft3 10.0.

Hopefully it has improved.

Jody

• Posted

I'm 53 and new with Graves' disease. I just start taking Methimazole 10mg (taken 3 tablets) once a day. I have low 0.005 TSH level. I had palpitation, I'm taking propranolol. I have sweating, anxiety, body aches, lost of weight. This disease scared me because of eye disease. I ask you, how long you had Graves' disease? How long the Antithyroid medicine work to reduce all the symptoms? Did it affect your eyes? I was thinking about having thyroidectomy and don't want to go through all the symptoms especially eye disease. How is your eyes now? Hope you are well.

• Posted

Hi

Try not to worry.

Been there, done that, worn the T hirt.

Definitely sounds like a thyroid problem!!

Have you had a scan of your thyroid yet?

I take it u are in the UK hence lack of progress!

Jean

• Posted

Hi everyone! Thank you soo much for all your information. Im defiantly not alone here and sounds like help should be on the way after this last screening in Tuesday. This should hopefully show where the problems lies. I have had many bloods tests that indicate I'm hyper but it kept jumping up and down so they wanted to test me again few weeks later so i have been waiting and waiting; wishing for them to see it jump again and it did! As I expected ( started feeling crap again.. Can always feel it coming on) I have had many other tests done also not related as they thought I had refluex for months..

Rapid heart is big one for me.. Scares me sometimes. They want me to have an idione test this week? Anyone had one only these? I leave for a big overseas trip back home to the uk in 3 weeks so stressing it won't be sorted and il feel like this the whole trip! Sorry Jean.. I'm actually from Australia but me and family are welsh. May I ask how old you ladies were when diagonised? Thank you thank you for all your advice and info, I was gettin anxious just waiting for someone to reply! P.s. Jeanie- Aus medical scheme sucks and I have private health.. Still costs me a fortune!

• Posted

Sorry forgot to say.. I'm on vitamin D and magnesium as supplements suggested by my doctor. Did you guys lose your appetite?
    • Posted

Hi I know the feelings. I would be grateful if you could possibly just let me know what your thyroid screening resullts were. I know it is a drag getting them together etc but it woulld help  me to understand moe what is going on with you. I had a low TSH SUGGESTING SUBCLINICAL HYPERTHYROIDISM. t4 WAS 16.5. tpoS LESS THAN 33. i HAVE A MULTINODULAR GOITRE AS WELL. this can hyper secre T3 and T4. Subcliical hyerthyroidism is treated differenntlyy. I have all the symptoms that you ghave. PLUS JOINT AND MUSCLE PAIN.

have you been tested for antibodies yet?

Did not realise that Australian healthcare is bad as well!

• Posted

I will have to get them for you. I might just request them all on Tuesday so i can let you know the latest ones as I actually do not have copies of them yet as it was just an results call from the doctor. And she wanted me straight into idione testing. I'm fairy certain I've been tested for just about everything as this has been on going for about 8 months. I can't remember all the tests I've had and I had heaps when I got put into hospital. That's how bad my stomach got at one point.

Aus healthcare isn't too bad I shouldn't complain but it's annoying if you have ongoing sickness as it caps out at some point but your still sick.. So frustrating! sad thanks for your help X

• Posted

I think that you need your results in writing before agreeing to any treatment esp RAI.

Perhaps you could contact your surgery today and ask them to e mail you he resuts or possibly have them ready so you could collect them before Tuesday.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Dreamer Girl.

Im also from Australia. Perth.

Im 49 and think ive had this for a couple of years before i hit rock bottom.

Im sure stress has played a major roll. Plus ive currently found out leaky gut can cause this also.

I did the iodine uptake test and it comfirmed Graves.

Ive gone Hypo once from being over medicated. Then doc reduced my medication then it went slightly hyper. That is when i sort alternative help. I still take carbimazole along with herbal medicine. Have next bloods in 2 weeks. Hope it has improved.

Jody

• Posted

Hi Jean, 

I have all my blood test results. Can you private mesage me so I can let you know the results. I have no idea how to send a message on here. I tried to understand my resultrs as much as i could and i can definatly see some weird activity. 

Hope to hear form you soon. 

Jodie smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.