Can anyone help Rafaelo Procedure

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hello Everyone,  I’ve been suffering from piles for some time now.  I’ve been told about the Rafaelo procedure, as it suggests,  will the surgery be painless.  Please advise or share story of those who have had this particular procedure please.  Thank you for any help.

1 like, 189 replies

189 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the hemorrhoidactomy Oct 10th. Not sure if this is the same as the procedure you are talking about.. Is this banding?

One thing i do know is the surgery i recently had is the worse pain I've ever felt in my life and would not wish this upon my worst enemy.. Sorry dont mean to scare you but the recovery time is very lengthy and painful.

Dont do it unless it is suggested by your doc.. I regret having it done and Im still having pain hours upon hours daily.

Sorry I cant be much help with your question.

• Posted

Hi nabila I’m not sure what the rafaelo method is, but I had the op on sept 4th. I agree with ‘me’ that this is a brutal op and the recovery is long and very painful. I’m now just over 2 months on and almost 100% better, but it’s been a looooong 2 months! I would suggest you try all other options before surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Teresa

Just wondering. .. You said two months before u felt 100% recovered. I today am two months. Did u still feel like your bowels are not completely empty after first bm of the day? Im still bleeding every bm today n have a bit of discomfort which is tolerable since yesterday for the first time since Oct 10th,

Bm are less painful. And after bm now the pain is nothing like the first 6 weeks.

Im booked for surgery again for Dec 12 as I seen surgeon about 10 days ago and be could not do a rectal exam on me that day as i was still having extreme pain n my butt was to sore for internal exam. So he wants to put me under again and possibly cut.. But like i said yesterday I feel things have changed over night with the pain but i still continue to bleed with every bm.

My question is will this get better. Has it for you?

Hope you are completely healed.

• Posted

Hi me93627

i think after 2  months I felt 100% better than a few weeks before, lol. Had mine on 4th sept. Yes, I do still sometimes feel my bowels are not completely empty, this is usually if I have forgotten to take a stool softener, then I do have to go about four times and it’s not good. I wouldn’t even say I’m constipated, but unless it’s almost diarrhoea I don’t go completely. I do bleed a bit at those times, but not much and worry as I have to really push. Starting to think this is the future now. It’s definately not the same as it was. Still uncomfortable but not  painful, and no after pains. They have never sent me my 8 week follow up appointment and to be honest I know I should do something about this, the thought of being prodded around down there fills me with dread. I can’t imagine them being able to get a proctoscopic up there now, feels too small. I can’t say I’m in pain, still slightly dread bm’s and fairly scared the hems will come back. Would never have this done again! Really feel for you for going back for further surgery, but your bravery may mean you end up better off in the end. Good luck nd let me know how it goes. 

• Posted

Im so glad u replied back .

I do not wish to go under again as im afraid i will come out and go through again what I've just went through.. I like you said never again. But in all honesty i dont think this procedure even worked in my favor.. 2nd week i had external roids back. Was told i also now have two small skin tags wth.. They werent there before.. Apparently they are from excessive skin tissue caused from surgery.. And i think I have scar tissue in side as well as bleeding roids again.. Thus why such a long recovery ...

Anyway thx so much for telling me about your after surgery .

This helps a lot as I rather live this way the bit of discomfort i have today then the way i was prior and during this surgery

So no i do not want to go through this again.

Thank you for giving me some of my self esteem back..

I appreciate every word..

I will call surgeons receptionist Monday n ask her if i should have this done as im feeling better this week as my surgeon is on holidays now.

I will post back to keep u up to date if im going ahead with this..

Feeling scared as hell as this was hell..

• Posted

I’m glad my reply was of some help. It was indeed, hell and then some. I don’t think anyone can understand the excruciating pain unless they have been through it. I don’t wish to talk you out of anything that could improve your situation, I can only give my honest opinion. Do keep in touch, I may get the courage to chase my follow up at least. If I do I’ll let you know.
    • Posted

Plz let me know what the outcome of your exam is..

I hope its good results for you..I also still take my softener which I have taken now over a year and Doc did say it is safe to take daily and will likely be taking it for the rest of my life as my issues stem from constipation since the age of five.. It has worked for me so I wont give it up any time soon.

I never have diarrhea Have no idea what this is even like..just soft stool now.

I am worried as my twin sister had Colon cancer n Uncle has Crohns.. He has had the colostomy bag now for 8 yrs.. He no longer has a rectum.. Poor man. But id go that route if no surgery can fix this then have to live in constant pain all my life.

So today. Im feeling some what blessed.

Thx Teresa

• Posted

I am also interested in finding out more about the Rafaelo procedure.  It is definitely not the same procedure that people say is so painful.  Would be really interested in hearing from someone who has had it.
  • Posted

I had The Rafaelo Procedure 3 weeks ago. It was AMAZING! The procedure itself took a few minutes in total and I hardly felt a thing. I was home within an hour or so afterwards and back to work the next day. For the first few hours I could feel that I had had a procedure carried out, but it certainly wasn't painful, and nothing that a Paracetamol couldn't handle. No symptoms since. I would recommend it anyone!

• Posted

Can you explain what the rafealo  procedure involves please Jamie. Love to know if I have to have this op again.
    • Posted

Hey,  Which Hospital did you have the procedure and how much does it cost or can you get it in the NHS?  
    • Posted

It apparently uses radio frequency. The surgeon uses a probe which uses radio frequency to heat the haemorrhoid. This supposedly stops the blood supply to it, the haemorrhoid shrivels up and falls off. I was literally in and out in a couple of hours.
    • Posted

Hi I had it done in Central London and it was covered by my private health insurance. Otherwise it would have cost me about £2k. With hindsight, knowing what I do now, I would have paid the cash if I had to. I found the clinic on the Rafaelo website - they have a list of many up and down the country.

• Posted

Thanks Jamie, really helpful and a relief to know if I ever have to have it again, there is a better method.
    • Posted

Hi Jamie,

Where did you have it done? How much it will cost the total? If I sign up for a private insurance and already have this condition do they cover?

Many thanks 

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

Which clinic did you go to? How is the procedure? Do they put you under general anaesthesia or local one? How bad where your piles? I have only 1 prolapse grade 3 and it’s bleeding at the moment no matter the texture of my bowel movement 😔... how is after the procedure? Do they come back? Please respond to me. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Jamie..Just want to check with you if you had any bleeding in stool post the procedure I am getting blood in stool and after every bm it's quite painfull. Is it normal???

• Posted

Hi Tej - I was told that you might see a little blood in the second week but that I shouldn't worry - its part of the process. If you are concerned though, perhaps call your surgeon for some reassurance

• Posted

Thanks Jamie for the reply..I just called Surgery they are saying its normal.

But in your case was there any bleeding post Rafaelo, if so how many days did it last.

Did you take any laxative...or take any diet considerations...

• Posted

It lasted about a week, steadily reducing as the week went by. I didn't take any laxatives but I guess that might help you if it continues. You don't want to be pushing. Best to follow your doctors advice.

• Posted

Very reassuring ..thanks Jamie for quick replies...any Diet or Exercise Considerations....did you go back to work immediately after?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.